• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

76 Stock Power Steering vs. Aftermarket Systems

Archbronco

Contributor
I would appreciate opinions on keeping a stock 76 power steering or would it be advantageous to move to a 4x4x2 box or RAM type set up? I am going to be running 33's w/ 2.5" SL and 1" BL, Warm 302.

What are the advantages of swapping or keeping?

Thanks
Josh

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The stock box should be fine with 33's. The advantage is you don't have to buy or fabricate anything.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
X2 on Viper. I went to 37s and decided to do the Sagi upgrade. Did very well. Now I downsized to 33s and its overkill. Factory PS is just fine for your 33s UNLESS you plan to do a lot of rock climbing. RAM for serious rock climbers or mudding.

OP
OP
Archbronco

Archbronco

Contributor
thanks, that's what I wanted to know. I appreciate the feedback.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
X4 unless you plan on serious rock crawling there is zero need to upgrade the steering box. While I never did have any issues with the stock pumps the next time your stock pump takes a dump there would be nothing wrong with upgrading to a saginaw. There a little better pump.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
X5
You have a perfectly good system for what you are running.
If anything have it rebuilt, add an upgraded pump and a good cooler. That is the most it should ever need, and that is throwing money at it. 33's are still a respectable size for the stock steering box.