• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

77 Lost all electric power

Sport1977

I am the second owner of my 77 Bronco Sport. When I bought it from the origional owner it had been stolen from him and recoverd, the brainiacs that stole it ran out of gas and didn't know it had two tanks or how to select the other tank. Anyway they screwed up the wiring and when he had it fixed the neutral safety swith was bypassed and a single pole starter relay replaced the two pole relay and a starter button had to be used to start it after the switch was turned to run.
I want to put it back original but the wiring is jacked up. I removed the starter button and on the inside right fender is blk/red blk/yellow out of the voltage regulator is brown, yellow x2, red, and white/blk. No matter how we wire it I have nothing at the switch and there is a total loss of power as if there is a bad ground. I will change the neutral safety switch in case that is causing the problem. Is there another fuseable link in the harness somewhere I do not readily see or what else could be causing loss of power? I would like a picture of a 77 wiring from battery, alternator, voltage regulator back to the firewall if some one has this I would appreciate it. I have the original 77 factory wiring diagrams as well. I can't figure out what the difference is where it shows the wiring going to a solid black circle and then a non colored circle. I know solid vs clear circle means something but there is no legend, can anyone help?
Thanks

Last edited:

Tugross302

I am the second owner of my 77 Bronco Sport. When I bought it from the origional owner it had been stolen from him and recoverd, the brainiacs that stole it ran out of gas and didn't know it had two tanks or how to select the other tank. Anyway they screwed up the wiring and when he had it fixed the neutral safety swith was bypassed and a single pole starter relay replaced the two pole relay and a starter button had to be used to start it after the switch was turned to run.
I want to put it back original but the wiring is jacked up. I removed the starter button and on the inside right fender is blk/red blk/yellow out of the voltage regulator is brown, yellow x2, red, and white/blk. No matter how we wire it I have nothing at the switch and there is a total loss of power as if there is a bad ground. I will change the neutral safety switch in case that is causing the problem. Is there another fuseable link in the harness somewhere I do not readily see or what else could be causing loss of power? I would like a picture of a 77 wiring from battery, alternator, voltage regulator back to the firewall if some one has this I would appreciate it. I have the original 77 factory wiring diagrams as well. I can't figure out what the difference is where it shows the wiring going to a solid black circle and then a non colored circle. I know solid vs clear circle means something but there is no legend, can anyone help?
Thanks
Don’t know if this will help. I can get more pics later tonight if it will help.

Attachments

• 7F813A0A-21E0-453A-98C2-857ACDFE6594.jpg
    7F813A0A-21E0-453A-98C2-857ACDFE6594.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 48

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Sport, welcome to classicbroncos.com!
Sorry you're being introduced to the Bronco with such an "entertaining" way.

I don't have a picture, but might have some clues for you.

Anyway they screwed up the wiring and when he had it fixed the neutral safety swith was bypassed and a single pole starter relay replaced the two pole relay and a starter button had to be used to start it after the switch was turned to run.

What do you mean by a single-pole? Was there only the one smaller post, instead of the usual two of the older style we use? If so, that was not the problem. These rigs will work perfectly fine on the newer style, or even one of the earlier styles, but without the "I" terminal.
If that's not what you meant, sorry for not understanding here. I know what a single or dual pole switch normally does, but not how it would interfere with this particular starting function.

On the right fender is blk/red blk/yellow

The large Black w/red is your main power to the cabin. Powers up literally everything and allows the current from the alternator to charge the battery.
The large Black w/yellow is the alternator charge wire. With a normal charging system on a Bronco, both of these have to be connected for things to work normally.

out of the voltage regulator is brown, yellow x2, red, and white/blk. No matter how we wire it I have nothing at the switch and there is a total loss of power as if there is a bad ground.

Just so you know, nothing at the voltage regulator (or alternator for that matter) can stop power to the rest of the truck. So even if this was wired incorrectly, it's not the main problem.
But I see one issue, and that's the colors of the wires. They indicate to me that a replacement 4-wire connector has been installed. Not a problem, but the wires get confusing because of it.
For proper orientation of the wires, look for the markings on the connector and/or regulator. You should be able to find an "F S A I" mark on the four contact points of the regulator. ON BRONCOS, ONLY THREE ARE USED.
That last point confuses even a lot of Ford knowledgeable people.

The first position is the "F" (or Field) wire. It's usually Orange, so your Brown wire is likely it's substitute. This goes directly to the F post on the back of the alternator and nowhere else.

The next is the "S" (or switched) wire. Normally it stands for "stator" but in Ford vehicles with an ammeter gauge instead of an indicator lamp on the dash, we refer to it as simply switched, because it comes from the ignition switch directly. Standard color is Green w/red stripe.
You need to find out which of your wires has got 12v with the key in RUN (not in ACC) and use that in this position.

Next us the "A" wire (or "always hot";)) wire. Originally stands for "armature" on indicator vehicles, but we say "always" for lack of a better term because it has power all the time. This is where the two Yellow wires connect.
One yellow is to the battery positive (usually spliced into the large Black w/red wire) and the other to a radio noise suppressor/capacitor typically bolted to one of the regulator mounting bolts.

The fourth position marked "I" is not used. So you should only connect three of the four wires to something. Best to remove the fourth so it doesn't cause any mischief.
This should get your alternator working unless there are other connection issues.

I will change the neutral safety switch in case that is causing the problem.

It can, but don't change it yet. You can easily test it, or even bypass it easily. Your '77 harness will have a square 4-wire connector behind the engine at the firewall with two Red w/black wires, and two Red w/blue wires.
The Red w/blue are your NSS wires, and make or break the connection to the starter relay's "S" post.
The Black w/red wires are your backup lamp wires.

You can disconnect the connector, jumper a wire between the two Red w/blue wires and that will literally connect your ignition switch to the starter relay on the fender and allow you to start the vehicle with the key no matter what gear you're in. So be careful!

Is there another fuseable link in the harness somewhere I do not readily see or what else could be causing loss of power?

Normally not that would have any effect on what you're experiencing, but that Black w/red wire at the starter relay has one that could have blown. You will need to inspect it to be sure.

Only three things can kill power to the whole vehicle.
1. The Black (or Black w/red in your case) 10ga battery wire at the starter relay. Could be a problem with the wire, or could be a problem with the fusible link.
2. There is a connector on that same wire just behind the ammeter in your instrument cluster that could be broken, rusted or simply disconnected. Before you do anything else then, make sure this connector is in good shape.
3. Battery cables. Either positive or negative could have failed internally even if they look perfectly fine. Once you've taken care of all the other things, if it still gets no power anywhere, check or replace your cables.

I would like a picture of a 77 wiring from battery, alternator, voltage regulator back to the firewall if some one has this I would appreciate it.

See if some of what I was writing can get you there until someone has a pic for you.

I can't figure out what the difference is where it shows the wiring going to a solid black circle and then a non colored circle. I know solid vs clear circle means something but there is no legend, can anyone help?

Not sure myself. Would have to see it in context.

Good luck!

Paul

Last edited:

Tugross302

I can’t help you at all with wiring but it sounds like Paul sure can. I just took several pics for you though. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• BA067739-113E-434F-83E0-AF8C8E707291.jpg
    BA067739-113E-434F-83E0-AF8C8E707291.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 21
  • FF2F2E17-9185-4BA6-8A38-D921C7CC5FE0.jpg
    FF2F2E17-9185-4BA6-8A38-D921C7CC5FE0.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 27DFAB9C-2C69-4E6A-8B40-64DEAE747097.jpg
    27DFAB9C-2C69-4E6A-8B40-64DEAE747097.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 23
  • CF65A1E3-E87A-4A3C-BA3B-995DF5ED8B0C.jpg
    CF65A1E3-E87A-4A3C-BA3B-995DF5ED8B0C.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 19
  • CAEA2D5B-9848-46BD-8E7E-B2AADB996405.jpg
    CAEA2D5B-9848-46BD-8E7E-B2AADB996405.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 16

Tugross302

And some more

Attachments

• EF623603-5717-47D3-B8FF-AAC8797508A7.jpg
    EF623603-5717-47D3-B8FF-AAC8797508A7.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 763A4B5E-6F61-4CDF-9636-7543BF24D02B.jpg
    763A4B5E-6F61-4CDF-9636-7543BF24D02B.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 9
  • BBB07ABE-E22B-4DC4-8E73-A789F45A27E1.jpg
    BBB07ABE-E22B-4DC4-8E73-A789F45A27E1.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 6287086F-DE9B-4F48-87E5-411F4FA044A9.jpg
    6287086F-DE9B-4F48-87E5-411F4FA044A9.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 11
  • D22467AB-C5CA-4697-9922-4F7262F58D5F.jpg
    D22467AB-C5CA-4697-9922-4F7262F58D5F.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 1DA1C4C7-74EC-4B26-9FF5-775CA63D0022.jpg
    1DA1C4C7-74EC-4B26-9FF5-775CA63D0022.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 8
  • B43D1F67-C5AF-4ABD-9074-A27C49C2AA66.jpg
    B43D1F67-C5AF-4ABD-9074-A27C49C2AA66.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 9

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Cool beans Tugross. Thanks for the pics.
Lots of purty pitchers of a mighty purty looking Bronco! Got more?

Oh, and even though it doesn't sound like you're experiencing any electrical issues, is there still a main body ground from the battery to the fender/wheel well? I see the battery cable and a clamp screwed to the wheel well, but not an attachment for the conductors, so thought I'd ask.
That screw hole is just about where Ford used to clamp the battery cable too, but they used a steel clamp that was exposed to the conductor which created a ground path to the body.
Maybe in '77 they were a little higher up, or maybe I'm just remembering it wrong. But either way it was right around there.

If you already added an additional wire, great. If not though, you might consider it.
As well to consider an additional one that Ford didn't see fit to use until later Broncos, and that's the ground wire between the intake manifold and the firewall.

Although I hate to suggest drilling the nice paint!
Hope it runs as good as it looks.

Thanks

Paul

Tugross302

Paul. I wet back and took a picture of another clamp on the wheel well but there’s no wire connection to make a ground that I can see. Also I couldn’t find any wire from the intake to the fire wall. Is this the clamp?

Attachments

• 6F4F7C14-732F-4D7D-9DBC-BB804758EFD0.jpg
    6F4F7C14-732F-4D7D-9DBC-BB804758EFD0.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 11

Tugross302

This one may be a little brighter.

Attachments

• B253ED92-67ED-4E0C-A6B5-991B3DCF5015.jpg
    B253ED92-67ED-4E0C-A6B5-991B3DCF5015.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 8

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Pic 3 of 5 in your post #5 above. Just a standard wire clamp screwed to the wheel house.
Right about there is where Ford grounded the body, using the same battery cable as went to the engine block.
What we do when replacing the original one is to either buy the type of ground cable that has the additional 10ga black wore sticking out of the lead lug, or just adding our own 10ga wire directly from the battery negative (just a ring connector under the nut usually) and run it down to the body in a clean location.
You can run it to the same hole that clamp is on, but my practice is to run it to one of the attaching screws for the starter relay. Easy and well hidden usually.
I also tend to (even with shiny new paint) scrape some paint off first, then attach it to the body.
You never see the bare metal under the relay and all is well.

The one on the back of the engine was never there by Ford on EB's that I've ever seen. But they (and every other manufacturer that I know of) has used them for years on other vehicles. So if you want one on your Bronco, you have to add your own.

I like to use the pre-made braided wire straps that are available on the HELP racks at auto parts stores. They are a factory style strap that is used by many manufacturers on many cars.
If I happen to find one of the nicer ones with a black jacket over it while cruising the junk yard for other stuff, I'll grab one. Otherwise the function is the same, the look is clean either way, and you have a much better body ground (and dashboard ground) than our EB's ever had from the factory.

Paul