• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

78 Np205 from a 78 Bronco? For 4R70w

Gatordog

Loc.
Rio Hondo, Texas
I was wondering if a NP205 transfer case would work/ bolt up to a 2000 4R70w?
I am going to install a 5.0 Explorer motor with overdrive transmission and was thinking that the np205 would be better than buying a adapter for the D20

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Yes it does. You need to trim (grind) a bit off the tailshaft housing off the 4R70W. It is really obvious what you need to grind. I even bent up a shifter that went through the stock hole in the floor for the t-case but I used a column shifter for my transmission. I love my 4R70W.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
New member with a post about gearing earlier today has that setup.
Not sure if he built it or bought it that way, but he may know any other little tidbits that might be helpful.

Good luck.

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
That is the magic one as well. The one and only application for only 1 year that came with 1310 CVs on both yokes.

You have a AWD/4WD version of the Explorer 4R70W? If so, yes this will work. A little simple interference that is easy to take care of. Now you just need a crossmember as the transmission mount is completely different than the Bronco style.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I run that in my blue bronco. Works good. used a twin stick shifter . fit in the stock hole in the floor. I have a floor shifter for the trans. Works well too. The 4r70 w is a great choice in the bronco. Exhaust can be tricky going down the drivers side. I run a 2 into one on the passenger side with stock manifolds. Easy, works.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Here is where you notch the flange:

Attachments

• 4R70W notched for NP205.jpg
    4R70W notched for NP205.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 101

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I didn't think any of the chain drive transfer cases were narrow enough to fit the Bronco frame. The NP205 is known for being a tight fit to the driver's side frame rail. And that is still considered a narrow all gear transfer case.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Reminder you also need to make a t-case mount. Do not let it just hang off the back of the transmission. Easy to do just google it you will get the idea or you can buy one.

OP
OP
G

Gatordog

Loc.
Rio Hondo, Texas
Thanks, I guess I got lucky on it being a 78, and the Donor Explorer was running and no problems with the transmission except the bulkhead connector on the passenger side is leaking inside the plug and outside. Need to change out, just need to figure out how it comes out.

OP
OP
G

Gatordog

Loc.
Rio Hondo, Texas
How did you run all the electrical connections for the Computer, wiring harness, etc? I was also going to use the Explorer a/c system,

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I use MegaSquirt on my engine and Microsquirt on my trans. If you use EFI guy he can make you OEM computer handle both.