• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

93 94 Tbird engine and tranny swap

rossphil

Loc.
Peckham, OK
A friend has located a 93 or 94 Tbird with 5.0 EFI and auto transmission. Will this be suitable swap into 71 Bronco? Anything else on the car with scrapping out?

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I'm going to say it's a good swap ..But you will need some skills and a deep pocket for wiring harness and adapters..TTT....

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If cheap a good choice. Trans is only an AOD, nothing special
The basic engine is the same as the mustang 5.0 HO. If you keep the computer and wiring all together it will all be happy. There are differences in wiring between that and Mustang. As long as you know that and accept it then it will swap fine.

It has a shorter front dress then the pre '93 mustang and close (if not the same) as '94/5 mustang. I have seen debate if the A/C compressor will clear or not. The rest should be good

Thunderbirds usually have less abuse but more neglect then mustangs.

Nobody

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stanwood
There wasn't a 5.0L HO in 94. Only 91-93. I have a 92 and it's an excellent swap. I love it! I used the t-bird harness. Once you figure it all out, you'll find there's only a few wires that need to be spliced.

The short accessories are really nice, but the smog pump and A/C will not fit. I built a cutom saginaw/york bracket for mine and used a smog pump eliminator.

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
There wasn't a 5.0L HO in 94. Only 91-93. I have a 92 and it's an excellent swap. I love it! I used the t-bird harness. Once you figure it all out, you'll find there's only a few wires that need to be spliced.

The short accessories are really nice, but the smog pump and A/C will not fit. I built a cutom saginaw/york bracket for mine and used a smog pump eliminator.

um yeah there was 94 and 95

byson1

Loc.
Nashville
A friend has located a 93 or 94 Tbird with 5.0 EFI and auto transmission. Will this be suitable swap into 71 Bronco? Anything else on the car with scrapping out?

Just finished puttting a 93 Cougar (same at Tbird) motor in my Bronco. I did not use the auto tranny and just reused my 3 speed for now. The engine fits great inside the Bronco and the low profile intake eliminates the need for any body lift or hood mods. I respliced the original harness into the Bronco. Depending on your skills/knowledge this can be easy or a nightmare. The hardest part was removing all the unecessary wires from the harness. There are LOTS of little things that will take time so be patient and go for it. Mine runs great. I was not able to fit either the A/C Compressor or AIR pump into the Bronco. I elected to remove both but still kept the serpentine system and used a belt from a Mercedes of some type to run it w/o the extra acc.. Still have the belt number if you get to that point.
After 93 the Cougar/Tbirds used the 4.6 V8.

byson1

Loc.
Nashville
What problem did you run into for the compressor not to work out?

You know I can't remember. I have an F150 PS box and I think it was hitting that. I'll look close again this weekend and try to take some pictures of everything. I was planning to do this anyway and show it off in the general section. I do know the AIR pump was hitting the frame brace on the pass. side when I tried to put the motor in place.

AussieBronco

I too have recently acquired a T-bird engine and am collecting all the parts for the install. How did you made the tensioner work when you got rid of the smog pump? I would also be interested in knowing why you had to get rid of the A/C compressor.
Thanks

Nobody

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stanwood
The A/C compressor doesn't clear the frame. I used a smog pump eliminator bracket, but I think it might be possible to just run a shorter belt. Not positive on that.

byson1

Loc.
Nashville
The A/C compressor doesn't clear the frame. I used a smog pump eliminator bracket, but I think it might be possible to just run a shorter belt. Not positive on that.

It is possible to run a shorter belt. I found a perfect fit for the crank, water pump, stock alt and stock PS.

Rollin

Loc.
Port Angeles, WA
I am running the 93 T Bird motor and Aod tranny and it has about 15,000 miles on it so far with no problems at all yet, nock on wood. You wont be able to run the t bird headers also. They dump right into passenger side frame just like the mustang shorties. Here are a few pictures of front belt assembly before and after.
Oh I ran the factory wire harness with just a few mods to it. Grouped all the relays into a fuse box so everything was together. It wasn't to bad at all.

Attachments

• 5.0 MOTOR FRONT.JPG
    5.0 MOTOR FRONT.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 5.0L engine 001.jpg
    5.0L engine 001.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 43

AussieBronco

Thanks Rollin, those pics are a big help! Do you know what the new serpentine belt was supposed to be off and what length it is?

Rollin

Loc.
Port Angeles, WA
Its a Good year Gatorback belt, meant for a Mercedes-benz 3.0L
Part #4060840 From Checkers auto----or schucks auto in our area. Hope that helps
The other #ers on belt are 6PK2135

Nobody

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stanwood
Thanks Rollin, those pics are a big help! Do you know what the new serpentine belt was supposed to be off and what length it is?

You can also use your old belt figure out the length of the new belt. Just remember they stretch a tad after being in use for awhile.