• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Abolish Post Counts?

should we ask jon to dump the post counts?

• no, keep post counts.

Votes: 69 45.7%
  • yes, dump post counts.

Votes: 82 54.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grunt1058

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Land of Entrapment
I say keep it but, police it. Post padding is uncool in most internet forums. Why should it be different here?

Jon can assign moderators to people he can trust who are responsible for mamaging the forums and reminding people that post padding is not allowed. They can also help enforce other rules that are easily bent or broken but not seen by Jon since he can't be everywhere all the time.

Though, I have seen over moderation kill other BBs. This doesn't have to turn into an over moderated board. Just friendly reminders with power to change things if necessary.

74bronc

Bronco Guru
why, because some crybabies can't handle it? leave the post count the way it is. man, my head is spinning from all this drama. Maybe we could start a daytime soap or something :)

PPiazza

Loc.
Newark California
What is the big deal if you post 1 time or 1000000 times. Its not like we are getting paid to post. Just give input and help on the thing we enjoy. Broncos!!!!!!

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Doesnt matter to me either way I could care less how many posts I or someone else has when I have a question and someone answers you can tell who is just full of BS or actually knows what they are talking about. If they are just here for post counts you can usually tell by the answers they give I've never really given post counts any thought before. I guess I dont have enough time on my hands for that.

ford67bronco

Loc.
Wisconsin
It doesn't matter to me either way, but maybe it's possible for Jon to set it up so each individual can go in their control panel and set his/her post count to show or not show.

Just an idea.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am fairly new here and I personnaly do not pay much attention to the post count. When I ask a question and get a response I will sometimes take a look at that person's responses to other threads. This will give you an idea of how knowledgable they are. It has been my feeling since I have been here that nobody that is known around here would intentionally steer you wrong. If it's an opinion and a lot of times that is exactly what it is, they will tell you that. I was raised in my fathers garage and consider myself fairly knowledgeable in general mechanics, and I must say, I have avoided a lot of mistakes and saved myself money since starting to work on my Bronco by taking part in this site. I think it's great, with or without the post count.

CDOG

Loc.
Tucson
I have obviously mistyped classicbarbies.com instead of classicbroncos.com. Lets press on. I have Bronco problems that need attention

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
CDOG said:
I have obviously mistyped classicbarbies.com instead of classicbroncos.com. Lets press on. I have Bronco problems that need attention

I do like this very much. Way to much time and energy is being spend on nothing of value. Perhaps classicbabies.com is a site that they continue this in.

OP
OP
J

jbeyer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
new york city
there have been enough guys making a stink about post counts since ive joined, to make me wish we would just deal with this once and for all.

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
I say keep the post counts. It's an indicator of who's been active in the community, and I like that.
I don't use the numbers to judge knowlegde or experience, or who does or goesn't have a life.
ClassicBroncos is more than just Q&A database, it is a community of people whith common interests. I consider it an on line club and I like to see who are active and who are passive members.

mlogan24

Bronco Guru
Well, if there's no post count . . .

. . . how will I know when I win? ;D

tejayandtina

Good Poll, Joe. I say dump it! Just by reading someones post youcan get a general idea of their knowledge and experience. It is time to move on though.

blu72

Loc.
Forney, Tx
if I reply will it up my post count?

I don't care if we have them or not

but for now
thank you sir I'll have another

ky-resto

I don't care about the post count. Those that visit here regularly have a sense of familiar names and build trust and friendship over time.

hakstooy

Loc.
Alexandria, VA
I say keep 'em. They do communicate how active someone is and it gives newbies a sense of who is "likely" (I stress "likely") to be a source of insight. Not even by the blanket assumption that they know what they are talking about, but by communicating that the person is often present and is likely to be around to answer a follow-up question. Which, as an inexperience lil Bronco-apprentice myself, I find to be a very important aspect of learning.

Of course, I suppose there could be alternatives to post-counts. Since we already have the "Join" date, could we also have "Last time logged in" date? Or something else that would illustrate how often a person stops by?

red67

Loc.
Austin Texas
Cali77Bronco said:
I use the post counts to get an idea how much people know...if someone has a ton of posts they must know something.

Yeah, but do they know about EBs or how to pad their post count like I just did?? %) Plus I don't give two sh*ts if they know (or pretend to know) a bunch about something in the offtopic lounge and its sub-forum.

That was a serious joke.

I just had a thought- maybe there can be a way to combine the join date and post count to give an index of some sort. :eek: . That way it moderates the wisdom gained with the rhetoric given.

N.FloridaBronc

Loc.
Tallahassee area
Keep em, ditch em, I don't care. I am on this site multiple times a day. Like many, many others who don't post on a regular basis. There are lots of out here who just lurk most of the time. I am here mostly for the goods... For example, lately I have been just riveted to Malcomzilla's "tub repair pics" thread as well as others who give me the gumption to get back out there and make some sparks of my own. I love these Broncos. I love this site because it is great to see what others are doing, learn from them, help out if I can, etc. I should probably post more than I do but oh well. I appreciate the site sponsors and constantly visit their sites too so I can keep current with whats available.
I don't know what my post count is but does it matter? I have been around these Broncos for years. I have been on this board for a little while and others, was on the ebml for a while too. But I have been around 4x4's all my life.

My post count has nothing to do with my spline count, my wiring, my rust, or my welding skills.

This is stupid, I am sorry I even responded. I am ashamed I even read this thread or the one that prompted it. Now I'm ashamed I responded to it.

I do appreciate you guys though. Let's grow out of it and get back to the goods.

Oh and while I'm here, the OT forum is cool too. From time to time people spill some pretty personal stuff there and the responses they get show me we really do have a good group of members here. I am thinking of asking about a career choice I'm facing in that forum.

Oh well, I see there's a new tech article to the left I haven't read yet, gotta go.

Later,
Jeff

j.r.nice

Bronco Guru
I didnt realize it was a competitive thing. I really never cared. High counts really dont reflect the quality (or lack thereof) of content or technical accuracy. Anything after 1000 is just fodder anyway. "OVER A BILLION SERVED" I think there are more pressing issues and ways to improve the site. (Since this seems to be the intent of this thread)

I see a lot of the same questions asked over and over again. One board I joined "initiated" me by giving me some simple "suggestions"....one of which was to use the search function BEFORE posting a question. Most of the repetative questions center around tires/gears and lift........"what will fit?"
I would think a simple chart for cut and uncut Broncos based on tire diameter and lift would premempt a lot of this.

Also, a gear/speed calculator in the tech section would be helpful (and fun - I played with mine a lot before deciding on which gears).

Just a couple suggestions that might add to the already great quality of this place! Perhaps we should start a "SUGGESTIONS" thread where we could constructively discuss potential improvements.......I think it would be a lot more beneficial than bickering over posting counts.

heres a link from another site about posting........let it load
http://albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.