• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Adding a Heim to a stock Track bar

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
Anybody have an opinion on wether a single heim should go at the frame or the axle? I'm thinking frame, but admit I have no real reason aside from gut feeling for my opinion.
I did mine on the frame side. That's because I used the factory mount though.
The bushing is to take some of the "hit' when the trac bar moves suddenly.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
This is what I did. Because the track bar is not straight you need an ancher on one end or it might roll around and hit the diff. I put the hiem on the frame end because that is the smaller bushing and the one that always gets damaged from articulation. The heim will rotate where the bushing would get damaged. I use the right size DOM so that I can thread it 3/4"x 7" instead of welding in a bumg. The 7" makes it a one size fits all lifts.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
i gotta second chuck's track bar. by the time you get done buying all the adapters, the heim, misalignment spacers, and assembling it, you're better off just buying his bar. i've had his track bar on my rig for several years and the heim & bushing are holding up great!

OP
OP
H

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
This is what I did. Because the track bar is not straight you need an ancher on one end or it might roll around and hit the diff. I put the hiem on the frame end because that is the smaller bushing and the one that always gets damaged from articulation. The heim will rotate where the bushing would get damaged. I use the right size DOM so that I can thread it 3/4"x 7" instead of welding in a bumg. The 7" makes it a one size fits all lifts.

But can it be cut down to the proper size to fit a full width swap? I wasn't clear that it could.

Also, I'm thinking about reconfiguring for a full width track bar (EG mounted between the spring bucket and knuckle). Is it long enough for that?

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Also, I'm thinking about reconfiguring for a full width track bar (EG mounted between the spring bucket and knuckle). Is it long enough for that?

I doubt it. I measured mine last night for a friend and it's 36.5" long from bolt centerline to bolt centerline. One for a full width would be even longer. If you go with a full width track bar, try to configure it so you can use a straight bar. Lars did it on his and we copied it for mine.

Todd Z.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Not the end of the world for a straight track bar, but with the threaded bushing available, I don't think two heims would be really necessary either. I'll probably fabricate the trackbar from scratch, or buy an adjustable one. I think the effort of modding the stock trackbar will be more trouble than its worth.

Anybody have an opinion on wether a single heim should go at the frame or the axle? I'm thinking frame, but admit I have no real reason aside from gut feeling for my opinion.

If you're going with one heim and one bushing, I'd second the others' opinions about putting the bushing on the axle end. If you go with a full-width track bar, you'll need to use two heims because in my experience a bushing won't fit in the real estate you have to work with on the axle end.

You're right - modding a stock trac for two heims isn't worth it. I had one for awhile. The weight and offset in the bar make it flop forward and move around more than I like.

I also had a tubular one for a few years that was better than the stock one but still did have some rotation. But it didn't roll around and clunk or clank during the suspension travel. I did wear out a heim or two though over the years - the clunk is annoying.

My straight, full-length one doesn't move around much at all.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
H

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
I still have to tackle the final design, but depending on space, I may end up swapping the Trackbar to the back side of the axle to make more space. No matter whether I do that or not, or go full length or not, it sounds like I'm destined to fabricate my own bar no matter what. I'm figuring the bar will need to be about 40" long. Luckily it will be easy with all the parts available. Just means mail-ordering all the stuff.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
But can it be cut down to the proper size to fit a full width swap? I wasn't clear that it could.

I make them long enough the fit the 7" lift, that is why I thread them 7", so you can cut them down to stock but when people call for a longer one I make them longer for the same price it just takes a few days longer.

OP
OP
H

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
Chuck, whats the Maximum and minimum length that the bar can be installed at? That would really help me decide if it will fit my needs and/or if I'd need to order one in a longer length.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
i think the EB track bars are 30"? Just measure from the diff mount to the center of the diff cover and I can make it whatever length you need it. the only diff is it takes a couple of extra days for me to get around to making custom track bars.

OP
OP
H

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
So you don't want the measurement from the frame to the mount on the axle?

Hopefully I'll be doing the final layout this weekend. I should be at a decision point by monday.

OP
OP
H

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
You could do a RH thread heim at one end and a LH thread bushing end on the other. Just cut the bar and get it drilled and tapped. The bushing ends look like this.
http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/Ballistic-Forged-Poly-Bushing-263quot_p_1646.html

I got to looking at this bushing and its effin' HUGE! I know I've seen similar bushings around other sites, but can't seem to find anything right now...

Anybody know of a good fabricating/parts site that might have something similar, but with slightly smaller dimensions? I can run the Ballistic bushing, but would prefer a smaller wart on the axle if I can manage it... I checked Blue torch, poly performance, and one or two other common places, but don't really know where else to go.

OP
OP
H

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
For DIY trackbar with bushing at axle and heim at frame...

I'm outa town so haven't been working on the bronco lately, but still need to resolve the trackbar issue before I move on to the rear axle.