• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Adding port to Power steering pump

78Scronco

Bronco Guru
What's the best way to add another return port to my power steering pump? Would you recommend getting another pump and cutting that port off, and drilling/welding onto mine? or is there a simpler way/idea?
This is for hydroboost setup. I have a T in the system and I think that's the problem.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
WHAT's the problem?

A T should work, if it's big enough, but a Y would be slightly better. You can buy a brass hose barb nipple & thread/nut/solder/braze it into a new hole in the reservoir.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Large brass T on the return line? Works fine for me. I just use one with large internal openings to minimize restriction. Been working just fine for 5 years or so now.

It is more convienent to just have a second fitting already on the pump, but I don't see that as a must have.

OP
OP
78Scronco

78Scronco

Bronco Guru
I already have a nearly new saginaw pump. I'm having trouble with the whole hydroboost setup. The brake pedal kicks back at me when applied.
I was trying to eliminate problems by getting rid of the T.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If you just want to see if there is too much restriction in the return line then route it in the dipstick hole. I wouldn't go wheeling that way, but it will work for troubleshooting. Cost less then a new pump too.

bludorbronc

the return outlet on the hydroboost is only about a 1/16th hole, if you plumb it to the side of the t that sticks out and the box return to the straight thru outlets of the t you should be fine. is your push rods adjusted correctly. did pump work good with just power steering. could be boost unit.

OP
OP
78Scronco

78Scronco

Bronco Guru
The brake pedal rod is right. i was assuming the mc to hydroboost was right, going off the board post. I'm using a 92 astro hydroboost with an 81 corvette 4 wheel disk mc.
The T is 1 inch away from the return port line on the pump. The pump worked great before this attempt at HB.

TBS-POPS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
valley springs, ca
The kisking back is air in the system in the HB unit. My truck system did the same thing after replaceing a blown hose. it took about a week of driving to purg the system free of air...

OP
OP
78Scronco

78Scronco

Bronco Guru
thanks steve I'll try those steps in that link. It did get better after sitting for awhile, but it does still kickback. I double checked the line routing this weekend, and it's correct.