• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Adjusting electric choke on a Carter AFB carb?

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
Recently got my Carter AFB rebuilt after sitting for 8 years..... After forcing a steady diet of gas down the bowls, a mechanic buddy of mine and I got her started. We tuned the carb, and I actually drove it around the apartment complex. Purred like a kitten, and restarted fine while warmed up. Never messed with the electronic choke.

So today, I hope in to take her down the road for a wash...lots of dirt after sitting for 8 years. Cranked and cranked, but she would not start. Poured some gas down the bowls, and she would only start and run until the gas was gone...

I think I need to adjust this electronic choke. After searching the web, I cannot find a website for Carter Carbs. Are they out of business? Anyone got a manual they could copy or fax me, or is anyone familiar with this set up? Thanks.

OP
OP
mp

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
Also, I drained and cleaned the aux tank, re-plummed the lines, and replaced the fuel pump, so the bad gas is long gone.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
sorry don't have any instructions but the choke adjustment doesnt sound like your problem I would say that either your fuel pump bit the dust or your fuel filter is clogged if it ran fine while gas was in the bowls then the choke should be good

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
I got rid of my electric choke, it did the same thing to me. Drove me bonkers, it would kick in and not release, no matter how hot the engine got.

Manual choke w/ cable, the only way to go. (cheap and easy conversion, lemme know if you need help, I'm just over in Arlington, and work in Dallas)

OP
OP
mp

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
broncoaz

I would have thought othherwise. Fuel pump is one week old, and fuel filter is clear of debris. All the bad gas was pumped out prior to hooking back up the lines...

So I went outside to check out your theory, and sure enough, the fuel pump is barely pumping out fuel at the carb. Cranked her over for 10-15 seconds or so and got about 5 teaspoons of gas!!

So, the question is, could my brand new pump be bad already? Or could the hard or soft line from the pump output to the fuel filter be clogged from the eight years of bad gas sitting in the line?

Tommorrow I will check the gas output at the pump and try and narrow down the problem. Good thing the pump has a lifetime guaranty, but it sure is a pain in the ass to change with the PS pump in the way...

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Try blowing low pressure air back through the lines see if that helps. Remove gas caps first, speaking of gas caps they could be plugged also causing a vacuum in the tank. causing your new fuel pump not to pickup gas (you should have vented caps I think depends on year & emissions equip) are you having problems with both tanks? you may also want to check your fuel tank selector valve I had one that the aluminum shaft corroded pretty bad and twisted to where it wouldn't turn to a tank so no fuel. fixed it with some 1/4" brass rod no more corrosion. good luck I run an electric pump easy to get to if I had to its been on there for over 20 years with no problems