• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Advise on 390 Holley electric choke hookup?

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
Got a new 390 Holley for my 68 Bronco. What is the best place to hook the electric choke up? Ive read ignition switch, altenator, and solenoid. Putting anything on an altenator scares the crap out of me. Imagine a lineman that done know shi* about car wiring. Pretty fair on the rest but not wiring. Thanks for the help.

airman

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The reason that the alternator is recommended is that the elec choke is basically a heater that when given power heats up and eventually turns the choke open.

If you have a keyed source it will begin to heat when the key is on. If on the alternator (a stator terminal will be labeled "sta" on the casting) it will only send voltage when the alternator is turning meaning the engine is running. Kinda scary putting electricity to the same place the gasoline goes? It just goes against my better judgement but then, there are wires all over in there.

I did something different and put a manual choke that has a pull handle under my dash. I open and close it myself and do no wiring for the choke. I burnt up an electric choke and ran like crap for a weekend wheeling trip and that made my decision. I didn't figure it out until I got home.

Holley makes a manual choke kit that is pretty easy to install and I bought a generic choke cable from Checker Auto parts.

Jeff in AZ

PPiazza

Loc.
Newark California
I just put on the Truck Avenger. I ran the choke to the starter soliniod. I have a two post and one post is a key on power. I ran it to that it seems to work good. Just make sure you run it to a key source you will be fine.

PP

Matt_W

Loc.
Connecticut
The only choke you should hook up to the stator terminal of the alternator is the stock motocraft carb. The stator terminal only puts out about 9 volts while all aftermarked carbs.....ie your holley carb require a full 12 volts to operate. If you hook it up to the 9 volt source the choke will take too long to heat up and it will cause an overly rich condition which you will have to compensate for by leaning out the carb or the choke and it just wont run correctly. Hook it up anywhere that has a full 12 volts when you turn the ignition switch to the run position.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Acording to every good reference manual I have read, it goes to the “S” or”Sta” post on the alternator. That is the stator post. That way the choke only opens as long as the engine is running.

If you hook it up to the coil or the “I” post of the solenoid, you pull an additional voltage drop across the ballast resistor and that lowers you ignition performance. There is also the problem with the choke warming up and starting to open if you turn the key to run, but don’t start it (or it stalls while warming up and you don’t restart it right away)

The stator terminal powers the choke while the engine is running, not relevant to the key postion. This may not mean anything right now, but the cold winter day that you turn the key to run, but the truck doesn’t start right away. Then you accidently leave the key on while you hook up the battery charger to give it a little extra boost. Then it won’t start because the choke has opened while the engine is still stone cold, you won’t want to be the one out there diagnosing the problem when it is –5°. If the choke was only hooked up right, then the little boost would bet you started and you will only be cursing the battery, not the whole truck.

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
I just installed a new Holley carb with electric choke last month. I wired mine to the STA terminal on the alternator. It is COLD here. ONE pump of gas, turn the key, starts right up ... EVERY TIME ! :)

OP
OP
M

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
Directions just say a fused 12 volt source or install a 10 amp inline fuse. I have a manual choke 1850 Holley but I dont want to screw around with it any more. The carb is old and pops a power valve every time it coughs on a cold start. Im tired of screwing with it, have been sick with the flu and just need to get it running as quickly as possable. This flu is some wicked stuff. If I used the solenoid which one of the small terminals would I tie into? One guys saying altenator , another not, Im confused but I appreciate all the help. I still feel like crap and want to do it the easiest way right now so I have wheels. I bought an inline fuse holder today. Im just beat, have lost 20 lbs in 2 weeks so bear with me.

airman

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The stator source on the alternator is an unregulated source of power. If you have 9 volts from it your alternator is "under performing"

The purpose of a choke is to help on cold starts. You want to "choke" the intake until the engine and carb is warm enough to vaporize fuel and require less manifold vacuum to pull fuel for idle. If you use a keyed source you simply need to remember that as soon as you turn the key on you are starting to heat up the elec choke.

Holley has made improvements to the valves and mine TA does not blow valves on backfires. I can't imagine tuning a carb and/or ignition system without one good backfire for the neighbors. It keeps them thinking I'm just a bit nuts.

Jeff in AZ

OP
OP
M

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
The new carb has a power valve protector in it but the old one doesnt. I know you can buy a kit now and install one, which Ill do and keep as a spare. It was a little too big for the stock motor anyway. I think the 390 will have better throttle responce. I dont run it hard anyway. Ill get it in the garage today and do some voltage checks and see what I come up with. Thanks again for the help

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D I run mine from the ing. switch no problems that way key on it is hot key off it is dead no screw up's that way good luck. :p :p :p Bill :cool: %) :p