• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

After market AC

ghost66

Bronco Guru
Try looking up Vintage Air, I bought a under dash air and heat for around 1200.00

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
vintage air makes the kit for BC. i've installed one and it was a piece of cake. very easy to use and uses 4 knobs instead of the factory 3 heater controls. their box has the heater core and ac system built into one box. they supply all the lines.

the one i installed we used our own condensor and i'm custom mounting some of the components so we had to have some hoses made. their kit comes with everything you'll need though. i'd reccomend it.

vintage air makes a universal kit for the landcruiser or bronco, but BC's is made specifically for us.

Buckin74

Loc.
San Diego
Check out Chuck at BC Broncos------ He has a great set up complete with A/C and heat. All in one unit that fits under the dash. His new design now has servo motors driving the duct doors and other functions.
This is a Vintage Air unit and is top of the line-------

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
If you do anything, order the one from Chuck's!

Vintage air is trying to clear stock on their old design. DO NOT BUY THE OLD DESIGN!!!!! I just finished my install and it is a royal pain in the A$$!!!! I still haven't tested it and have every toe & finger crossed that all works. There was NOTHING easy about the install of the old style unit!

vap13

I definately agree with MinkyBiz,I know we both have been fighting this install from the start and I still have a ways to go. I just recieved some new hard lines from Vintage Air because the ones they sent were not even close. I had to take my own measurements and they bent me new ones.
I would give Chuck a call if you want A/C
Paul

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I use the "take your top off" method. Takes 2 people and the summer is a breeze. I also make use of the dual 60's also. BI

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
Just ordered from Chuck today -- Getting a chill just thinkin' about it!

There are different models from Vintage -- Servo vs Vacuum is a big deal, and Chuck is selling the Servo type (servo being "better", obviously). Thanks Nick -- see how smart you make me sound!;D by the way -- stand by for those cool vents and controls coming at ya!!

All the "Dual 60" method does around here is blow the sweat around your face! ;D

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
What is really needed by those of us considering this is a PICTURE of the business end of the AC unit for each of the options.
There are two major AC builders out there: Classic Air and Vintage Air. Prior to the BC version (I hope, as CHuck gets my vote on aftermarket items otherwise), the Classic Air version was more attractive; the Vintage Air version used a weird dash unit that looked like it was part of a Nissan pickup tailgate. (Hey, we have to stare at the darn thing.) Also, and more important, the Classic Air version sent the hoses through the firewall instead of the passenger side fresh air box. It is my great hope that I can maintain the use of the passenger side air box by installing a operable vent in place of the air duct that resides there currently. With the Vintage Air version that was not an option; it was with the Classic Air version.
Pictures of the BC unit installed would be very useful at this stage, please

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
you really shouldn't need the fresh air vent if you get a setup that is heat along with a/c. you'd be better off closing in the hole in the kickpanel and running through it with bulkhead fittings. you wouldn't want a huge hole pumping hot/cold air into the cab, as that is all it would be doing then.

taking the whole vent unit out of the way allows more air to escape the engine bay.
nick

Draglink

Loc.
Gloucester, VA
I've got a '76, 351W,C-4. I bought the one that Tom's Bronco carries( only I bought directly from manufacturer, just cant remember the name). This unit works great! Very cool. The only problem I had was finding a 3 groove crank pulley. It was basically a bolt on install. It looks great and performs great! Going on the second year now.

michael084

Loc.
Santa Rosa Beach, Fl
Do any of these units put out enough air to cool a softop? With the top and windows up obviously? We get some hot sunny rainy all at the same time days down here.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
michael, i just did a a/c package in a project i recently finished. for the build i used the vintage air super cooler II. when you crank it up you can hang meat inside. it blows 34' air out the vents.
nick
michael084 said:
Do any of these units put out enough air to cool a softop? With the top and windows up obviously? We get some hot sunny rainy all at the same time days down here.

michael084

Loc.
Santa Rosa Beach, Fl
NicksTrix said:
michael, i just did a a/c package in a project i recently finished. for the build i used the vintage air super cooler II. when you crank it up you can hang meat inside. it blows 34' air out the vents.
nick
Thanks Nick

cdkaminsky

Loc.
Pflugerville
Nick....others using vintage air or BC's version....

was the install easy? I spoke to a Vintage Air dealer said it would be 1100 for the unit + 1500 more for install.... Haha its hot in texas but I can stand the heat for that price.

How long did it take? Any major modifications?

willing to give it a shot if the install is not too difficult.

also...does the unit replace the heaterbox? I have that pulled right now and was going to clean it up and replace the seals but if the AC includes the Heater core....no since in cleaning it up....

Thanks,

Cory

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I finally got around to installing my Vintage air unit That I got from BC Broncos last year and I'm taking pics as I go along.

I got back from an awards ceremony last night about 9 PM and decided to continue with the A/C install. An old friend noticed my garage light on and stopped by to hang out, He got a cold pack for us and kept me company for the next 4 hours.

Getting the compressor pulleys lined up was pretty tricky, because I got one of the first kits BC put together it didn't have the complete instructions. Had to shim this, shim that and so on. Made a call to Chuck earlier in the morning and he answered my questions. With my 3G alt, it is close to the compressor bracket and has little movement to adjust so I'll just fab up a fixed lower arm for the 3G alt.

Here is some pics I've taken so far. I didn't get any of the compressor install yet, It was too early in the morning and I wanted to sleep, Damn I'm still trying to go to sleep.

Attachments

• DSC00068.JPG
    DSC00068.JPG
    154.1 KB · Views: 196
  • DSC01111.JPG
    DSC01111.JPG
    151 KB · Views: 219
  • DSC01112.JPG
    DSC01112.JPG
    147.6 KB · Views: 162
  • DSC01113.JPG
    DSC01113.JPG