• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Air Impact Wrench Recommendation...

Mikey

Bronco Guru
After using breaker bars and a cheap air impact wrench, I'm finally fed up. I'm on the search for a good 1/2" drive air impact wrench. Need your guys input for new or used? What's a good brand name for the money? Of course, Snap On is great but how are MAC, Matco, Ingersoll Rand, etc.? How are NAPA's tools?

I'm looking for 400+ ft/lbs.

Thanks guys!
Mikey

Simpson

Loc.
Montana
I use the IR composite everyday to work on KW trucks they work great and hit hard. I also have their composite 3/4 gun. They do require some maintenance but they are easy to work on. The last one I bought from our snap on dealer for 75$ took it home and cleaned out the inlet air screen and greased the hammers and it was as good as new. I bought the newest titanium composite and used it for a year, was awsome but I got some dirty air in it and ruined the motor. 250$ gun thats junk now. Not to mention they are the lightest guns on the market. Somthing to think about if you plan on packing them around or working overhead alot.

NVraider

Loc.
Elko Nevada
I second the IR 2135 composite. After 8 years of daily hard use in the tire shop at the mine I worked for, (water in the air system and hardly ever oiled) it finally gave it up.

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
IR Composite Titanium... it cost me a few $$ about $200+ if I remember right, but it has been well worth it.. I would do it again tomorrow if this one quits.. Has been going strong for about 5 years.. it has 1000ftlbs reverse torque... it will either take it off or break it off.. :) That is the only problem with that much torque... I hand it to my buddies and tell them watch it, it bites :)

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
%) %) %) I use a I R and have had it 30 years keep it oiled and clean no problems. Did have the shop go into it once and replace a bearing. Its a commercial typ has a steel nose cone and the rest is alum. Good luck with your choice.:D :D :D Bill %) :cool: ;D

ponch0v

I have a 1/2" CP. Good as the day I bought it. Oil it every so often, treat them nice and they should last forever.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
I myself and my brother both have the IR and no problems my brothers is about 20 years old and uses it everyday at work. Good luck

BUCKETOBOLTS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Salisbury, NC
I also recommend the IR2135. We use many of these at work and we repair them in house. They are used 3 shifts for 5 and 6 days a week tightening hundreds if not thousands of 5/8 and 3/4 inch fasteners with lock nuts. They stand up really well to the abuse.

As for the Snap-on, MAC, or Mattco tools, they are made for these companies by either CP or IR. They are similar to the parent brand but usually a little bit different here and there. They will look like the IR on the outside, but use different internals. Rotor and vanes are normally different. That way you have to by the rebuild parts from the tool company rather than IR.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I used the IR in school. That thing rocked. I was about to buy one when I got a smoking deal on a Snap-on. (the idiot was behind on payments and paid the truck to have the gun rebuilt. Gun was rebuilt, returned to the truck, then repoed before delivered back to the debter)

Cavalry

Loc.
I HATE UPSTATE NY
IR titanium 1/2" (non quiet)

Its an animal... as long as you can give it the volume it WILL remove the fastner(or break it). Mine still amazes me every day. i had never actually broken an impact socket until I got this tool.

I play with a lot of rusty 1"+ stuff so it gets a workout

70EB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gig Harbor
There was a big discussion on Pirate in the tools section on the Aircat Nitrocat. Alot of people tended to favor it and it was cheaper than the IR Ti. Based on this, I added it to my Christmas list and got both the 1/2 and 3/8 guns.

VERY quiet and very powerful. Also much lighter than the previous CR version that I had. Can be found on ebay for less than $200

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1000...ryZ43988QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=523766

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
There's a guy out here in so cal that sells air tools at the hot rod swap meet. He sells an IR knock off that uses all the same components except for the IR case. And of course without the IR price. He also deals and maintains IR stuff. I've used it pretty hard for 5 years with no problem

Huskerbronco

Loc.
Lincoln, Nebraska
I was told once the the weight of the sockets that you use with a impact wrench make alot of difference. If you use a light chrome socket your impact wrench won't work as good as quality heavy impact sockets. The theory here is that weight of the socket hammering on the bolt head helps break it loose.

I have a 12 year old Snap-on shockwave 1/2" impact and I use snap-on deep impact sockets and they work great. I got deep sockets because it seems you need a deep socket more often than needing a short socket.

OP
OP
M

Mikey

Bronco Guru
70EB said:
There was a big discussion on Pirate in the tools section on the Aircat Nitrocat. Alot of people tended to favor it and it was cheaper than the IR Ti. Based on this, I added it to my Christmas list and got both the 1/2 and 3/8 guns.

VERY quiet and very powerful. Also much lighter than the previous CR version that I had. Can be found on ebay for less than $200

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1000...ryZ43988QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=523766

Wow! Excellent thread over at priate4x4! I'm sold on either a NitroCat or the IR 2135Ti. Price will probably get me to lean towards the NitroCat. I'm no shop just have six cars/trucks to keep running.

Anyon else run a NitroCat???