• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Alterstart Starters

BuckBronco76

Loc.
Louisiana
Has anyone used these mini-starters such as the Alterstart Pro Tork Starter that fits the 65-99 Mustangs. It says it will fit the 66-77 Broncos and is smaller and lighter but has high torque. I am thinking about getting one of these. You can see one on e-bay motors for 64.99 under early bronco parts. They are out of Dallas. I need to know if they are better than the old bulky rebuilt original looking starter I have to replace every 2 1/2 yrs from Autozone.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
see raaaaay on this site svapowerproducts that is an overseas unit ray sells one for a little more that will last longer others will chime in raaaay is the man when it comes to alts and starters

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
I have one and I am very happy with it for the price. No doubt it was made in China, but it works great and the instructions are easy to follow.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Like the man says talk to RRAAYY22. you buy one of his starters once. after that it is clear sailing quality talks!! I dont know about you, I like the best in my Bronco. That way I dont have to fix it again.
TOFIC

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
the china built starters work great but for a few more dollars rays will work a lot longer he can get the overseas units but i think he choses not to although he may sell them speak up ray

NoJoe

Loc.
san jacinto,ca.
BEFORE I knew about RRAAYY22 I bought one from Alterstart, I have a 72-351-C4 auto, I bought the $130.00 mini starter that you can rotate the mounting plate on and am very happy with it, Joe.

RRRAAAYYY2

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Brantford, Ontario
I can do the China units too. They end up being about $55 to $60 delivered to most places. I can drop ship them from a lot of different warehouses. There is crap China and then not too bad China. My units will definitely last longer and crank harder. But then again they are twice as much money.

After that there is the real Denso units which are the best in the world, but then they are twice as much again. Quite the up sell going from $55 to $210. Personally I would do the Denso, but my vehicle always has to start, if it didnt it would be like one tow truck company towing another tow truck company.

We have been using the off shore units for stock replacements for some of our Fleet customers. They were warned up front they were offshore and to date have been very happy durablity. (Half life of mine, but in some cases the fleets are destroying by abuse, so they are wrecking cheap starters instead of good ones) I would avoid them if you do a lot of trails, have headers, over 10 to 1 compresion, etc. If you are just stock, they should suit you well and do a lot better than the older direct drive starters.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
WELL WELL he does live and breath!! good to hear from you RAY
Drop me a note I think I have a Bronco for you at the right price, FREE
TOFIC

welndmn

Bronco Guru
Ray - Can you do the Mini Racing one?
I was looking at the ones on summt with a clock-able ring.

RRRAAAYYY2

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Brantford, Ontario
The ones with the clockable ring were a really cool idea until everyone off shored them as well. (We stopped building them as our price was too high, like PowerMaster's Ultr Torque, over $300, but they lasted). They are based on either a Hitachi (junk for racing) or Denso (best around) starter.
The Denso ones are designed/copied after Denso's 4 and 6 cylnder starters. I have OE Denso, designed by Denso, for HD severe Ford applications. They are not cheap, like around $210 to $220 (that is almost half of retail). They are bullet proof as you can get. They dont rotate though, but you shouldnt need them to either.