• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Am I crazy? DD build

bigpitbull

BRONCO ADDICT
Loc.
Saltillo, MS
I'm picking up a 73 with a 302 and a 3 speed. It's an uncut. I want to build an EFI Daily driver (capable) bronco. I will not actually drive it daily but I want it to have the ability if needed. Here is my plan... Let me know if this sounds right. Ditching the original drivetrain and installing a fresh EFI 306 backed by an NV3550. I want to install a 3.5" SL and either a 1" or 2" BL and run 33x10.5 on original 15x6 ford slots. The bronco will have the original 3:50 gears. Should I opt to the 5.5" or 4.5" of total lift? Any input would be great!

u10072

Bronco Guru
I think all you need would be a 2.5" SL and the 1"BL on that setup

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
IMO, I wouldn't go higher than a 3.5sl and a 1"BL, or no body lift at all. Sounds like the perfect setup for you to drive to OCBR next year:)

Broncobowsher

Total hack
33s can fit without a lift at all. The width can make things challenging to fit in the rear on an uncut. road manors will be better without a lift as well. 33s fill out an unlifted Bronco very well. You will get a decent amount of height gain just with the tires. If anything a little body lift for better transmission and intake clearance is all I would recommend. That would make for the best daily driver and with the right diffs it will be plenty capable if you want to go off road a little bit.

As for running an overdrive with 33s with 3.50 gears. I think you are planning on legs way taller then you have torque to walk with. 4.11 gears with the .78 OD comes in at 3.20 which is a pretty respectable final drive ratio for a 33" tire and the aerodynamics of a barn door at highway speed. I would highly recomend you look at adding more gear to use that overdrive. 4.11 gears and 33s are a well known happy spot for non-overdrive transmission (C4, NP435, etc.) Low enough to be good offroad but can still live on the highway.

nickgp

Bronco Guru
It amazes me how many people think a daily driver has to be EFI! What did we all do before EFI came along? And we all bitched because we couldnt wrench on them. Just a thought

OP
OP
bigpitbull

bigpitbull

BRONCO ADDICT
Loc.
Saltillo, MS
It amazes me how many people think a daily driver has to be EFI! What did we all do before EFI came along? And we all bitched because we couldnt wrench on them. Just a thought

Ha... I have owned many carbed set ups. I have all the components for an EFI swap so why not.... Just sayin.

OP
OP
bigpitbull

bigpitbull

BRONCO ADDICT
Loc.
Saltillo, MS
33s can fit without a lift at all. The width can make things challenging to fit in the rear on an uncut. road manors will be better without a lift as well. 33s fill out an unlifted Bronco very well. You will get a decent amount of height gain just with the tires. If anything a little body lift for better transmission and intake clearance is all I would recommend. That would make for the best daily driver and with the right diffs it will be plenty capable if you want to go off road a little bit.

As for running an overdrive with 33s with 3.50 gears. I think you are planning on legs way taller then you have torque to walk with. 4.11 gears with the .78 OD comes in at 3.20 which is a pretty respectable final drive ratio for a 33" tire and the aerodynamics of a barn door at highway speed. I would highly recomend you look at adding more gear to use that overdrive. 4.11 gears and 33s are a well known happy spot for non-overdrive transmission (C4, NP435, etc.) Low enough to be good offroad but can still live on the highway.

As far as gear ratio goes I have owned all stock set ups except my first bronco that had 36x13.5 and 4:88

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
The reason is that for most people EFI makes a better daily driver.

Hell my wife and kid could start a carbed engine even with an automatice choke, never mind a manual choke.

nickgp

Bronco Guru
Its not a bad thing that the kid and or wife cant start or drive it! Seriously, if you have all the parts go for it. Nothing worse than having a bunch of parts that are never going to get used

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
I would go EFI on my Lawnmover if I could....Everything else...cars trucks Harley...are all EFI...and always run...

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
2 1/2" lift and 1" body will work great with that wheel and tire combo. Could go 15x7 as well with correct Back Spacing and still be good. At least that is the minimum recommended wheel size for that tire.

moosebob

In my experience a 1" body lift was required to clear the NV3550.
Without cutting a bunch of inner bracing on the tunnel.

It made life so much easier

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I know a couple guys are running 33x10.50's on uncuts with only a 2.5in suspesnion lift and they wheel them. A 1in body would help with any possible clearance issues. Remember your staying uncut so you cant follow the rule of thumb to go wider as you go taller jacking it up over 3.5 on the suspension/body lift moves that CG a little to high. IMO.

basswipe

I run my daily driver uncut with 33x10.50 Toyo Muds, 3.5" suspension and 2" body. It has a T18 with 4:11's powered by a 1986 5.0. I cruise at 55-60 and average 12 mpg, OD or 3.73s would be really nice though. It handles pretty well on road considering the height and narrow tires. And as far as off road goes, the rear tires tuck darn near perfect (the rear fender lip is rolled) and has plenty of clearance.

Bronco Biff

Contributor
I daily drove 3 inch suspension, 3/4 body, 3.50 gears, 3.03 3spd w/stock Dana 20, stock 302 2v then carb'd manual choke 289ci for years. Ran mud/woods/sand/dunes. Worked very well. 15-18 mpg. Low range was just right. switched to 4.10's and now 4.30's and run a lot more mountains/rocks. Twist a little tight on the highway now.......but the 289 seems happy cruising at 3k. Just don't cruise it that much anymore!!