• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Another Death Wobble Question

icecream man

Loc.
Colorado
Ok, I've replaced the trac bar bushings and since have not experienced DW however I'm now concerned about the drop bracket.

Hopefully I can explain this w/o taking pictures. The trac bar drop bracket is welded to the frame. There is another bracket holding the top of the trac bar (w/new bushings) which is bolted to the inner rails of the drop bracket. The brackets are bolted together in one place. The bolt runs parallel to the frame rails. This allows the one bracket to pivot slightly inside the welded drop bracket. Does this sound right? Wouldn't this allow the trac bar to move side to side resulting in more wobble?

I'm not sure my heart or my seats can take more DWs! :eek:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Sounds like you have an aftermarket bolt on drop bracket. They can get a bit sloppy and give you the death wobble. I know a lot of people who weld them to the frame. Solves a lot of problems.

Watch the frame around that bracket, it is known for cracking with the extra leverage.

my cure is a raised bracket on the axle and a stock bracket on the frame. Something to consider before you weld the bracket to the frame.

I know people with jeep TJs that also have bolt on brackets, they get real sloppy after a while if not welded in. I guess it affects more then just Broncos.

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
You are correct, the drop bracket is supposed to be welded to the first bracket after being bolted to it. That little bit of movement you have is going to increase intil it rips the first bracket, unless you have it welded.

BTW: The bolted on piece is the "drop bracket". The one welded directly to the frame is just the original mount.