• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

another EFI issue-fuel starving??***FIXED***

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
guys, a while back i was running a holley red LP pump and a Jeg's HP inline pump w/Jeg's inline screen filter. that has worked for the past year or so...but every now and then the screen would get nasty and the motor would fuss in the higher RPMs. when that happened, i knew exactly what it was and would clean the filter. one other problem...if i were really running it hard, like launching it or quick little drag race;D it would break up some like it was starving for fuel. I figured the LP was starving the HP pump.

so this past sunday, I added a bigger canister style inline fuel filter, and a ford accumulator(removed the jeg little inline filter). now I cant get it to haul a$$ without bucking,popping,and it starving for fuel. Its not every single time i hit the skinny pedal...but its consistent. I might get threw a hard 1st gear, but then it falls on it face in 2nd or 3rd. then it does it in 1st, but not 2nd...etc.

WTH??? i dont have any leaks, the accumulator is plumbed right. it only has 4 barbs.(top left/bottom right=return...bottom left fuel in/top right fuel out)

i ordered a fuel pressure gauge and line kit to install just like Kyle Malone(nice set up) it should be here today maybe...i hope to get it installed and maybe help answer some of these questions.

my sig has the motor info, thanks

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Do you think you may have dislodged some trash and its in the injectors or in the line now. I dont know just throwing some thoughts out there, maybe someone else will have some ideas.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Ditch the acumalator put your HP near the tank and return back to the tank, and of corse filter it between tank and pump.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Do this - bypass the accumulator setup and run it. Where is your HP pump? If it's close to the tank try plumbing it directly to the tank and see what happens - I've got a HP Ford truck pump about 2' from the tank and it's been flawless (I've got an inline filter in there too)

My Contour SVT did the same thing with the 3L DOHC swap - a plugged up fuel pump sock would cause the car to starve when below 1/4 tank (pump used unfiltered opening above 1/4 tank) I chucked the sock and now it's a rocket again - it was like I was hitting a wall when I ran out of fuel pressure. Sounds familiar...

OP
OP
blazinchuck

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
starting at the tank...

i have a medium size inline canister style fuel filter(30" away from tank), i have the LP holley red pump mount next to radius arm mount(it was 6-8" closer toward the tank-but moved it for the air tanks)
, then at the fire wall next to brake booster is the accumulator, HP pump on driver fender well...then over to pass side fuel rail hook up. all the fuel line is 3/8"

thanks guys. the tracking shows my fuel pressure gauge showed up today. so im installing that when i get off work. ill be by-passing the accum. today and testing

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I posted this on cb4x4 too...

Your LP pump may be too far from the tank. They are much better pushers than pullers.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
I posted this on cb4x4 too...

Your LP pump may be too far from the tank. They are much better pushers than pullers.

that could be ya issue, I had issues with leaks at acumaltor(PITA) and viperwolf told me to set up with one hp pump one less pump and kinda hard to screw up returnin to the tank.

OP
OP
blazinchuck

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
i ran my system like that before on fat bottom girl. but i ran a fuel cell in the bed and the HP pump was within 24" mounted on the frame near the bumper. i ran into some issues later on(didnt realize that screen in the jegs inline filter was getting nasty. i had this holley red on the truck when i got, and thought id try it. its worked for a lil over a year. i could tell when that jegs screen would clog and it would be ok again.

if i go back to a single HP pump..i think i still need a accumulator in case i got steep hills or off camber(opposite of the pick up) im running a 25gal BCBronco tank...wish it was a newer intank pump deal lol

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Here is my trailer park ghetto setup - so far so good. The pump is reasonably close to the tank, I have an inline filter and my return goes into the filler neck.

No comment on low fuel/high angle characteristics, but I've been able to run the tank nearly dry without any issues - even bombing through the gears doesn't give me any trouble.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Fo rthat of cmbars issue you drive down to ya local Bobcat dealer and pick up a wieghted pickup... itll follow the fuel $17.50

I been pointin in the sky let it idle with less than a 1/4 tank ...no problems...BTW I HAVE NOT...been to Bobcat yet but got that tip from hardcore.... STEVE

I run a 23 gal tank pump mounted on frame x member in front of tank

my pump and filter are where kyles filter is

OP
OP
blazinchuck

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
thats interesting Kyle...i have had issues in the past where i might try a steep hill or obstacle and roll back down after stalling it...only to find it takes a while to fire it back up.

then everyone around says..."gee, that EFI really works good lol"

OP
OP
blazinchuck

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
ive seen the pick up tube before...its like 1/2" off the bottom...how would you attach something like that?? cut the tube? not sure i could get in there to shorten that pick up

NYLES

Bronco Guru
I dunno was told what to do not how to do it......so far I just keep it above a 1/4 tank and dont sweat it.

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am curious about this weighted fuel pick-up. My fuel cell is a circle track with the pickup in the pass. rear. I need 1/3 tank to get fuel on a steep downhill.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
prolly best to go to local bobcat dealer look at one then go from there...but sounds like it would fix your issue

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
My F250 pump has been mounted on the frame in front of the right rear tire for over 11 years. No LP or pusher... just that one pump. It has never let me down.... knock on wood. I do have a filter at the tank and one on the other side of the HP pump. My rear tank is stainless so hopefully trash will not be a problem.

Greg

OP
OP
blazinchuck

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
yeeehaaaa!!!!;D

found the problem~! 1st, my new autometer fuel pressure gauge showed up!

1st order of biz...install gauge!

took it for a test, floored it a couple times.
cruising speed=35psi
shifting gears=30psi
idling=38psi
knocking the bottom out!...PRESSURE DROP BELOW 20psi! almost zero!!

came home to try something else. i found out today the holley red pump had a small filter/flame arrest screen internal.(never knew that, ive been using this just over a year, cant imagine the PO checking it for the 4 yrs head had it)

the pic should say enough!!!

it looked like a strip of elec tape jammed between the screen and inlet side of housing!! but it wasnt tape, it had numbers printed on it like it was part of the original gasket. removed it and cleaned the housing and screen.

decided to take it for another ride before bypassing accumulator. GOOD THING TOO!

next ride...

cruising speed=38-40psi
shifting gears=35psi
idling=38-40psi
KNOCKING THE BOTTOM OUT....40-43psi!!!!!

no drop in psi, no back fire,no surging...ran the strongest yet! 2nd gear broke the tires so loose! killed 3rd and broke them loose again!!!

thanks for everyone's help today! so for right now, the accumulator is gonna stay...unless something else pops up. but, for now-im happy. it amazing what the right tools can do and provide(ie. fuel pressure gauge!)

Attachments

• IMG_20120321_153045.jpg
    IMG_20120321_153045.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20120321_165837.jpg
    IMG_20120321_165837.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20120321_172933.jpg
    IMG_20120321_172933.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 41
OP
OP
blazinchuck

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
on a side note...i now see the fuel pressure drops to 10-12psi after an hour of sitting...maybe lil longer than one hour. but sure nice to see it

Last edited: