• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Another gearing quest

Bronc76

I know this question has been asked alot but I want to hear opinions. Doing a frameoff on a '76 and here's what I got. Rebuilt original 302 2bbl, rebuilt C4, D20, 5.5" superlift with 36" swampers. What gears should I run? This is going to be garage kept, not a daily driver, probably driven once or twice a month. Gas mileage not a concern either is the amount of RPM's that will be turning. Driven around town and just for cruisin down the highway. Want to pick a ratio that I can be happy with and not second guess myself. Thanks.

TBS-POPS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
valley springs, ca
From your discription, sounds like your putting together a mall crawler, street cruiser. I that case I would go with 4.11's. low enough to not be doggy around town and high enough to still be highway cruisable at a decent RPM. With 35's mine cruises at 2300 rpm at 60 mph w/4.11. I think 4.56 would be a tad to low but good for a trail run now and then if ya want to git-er-drty ya know...

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Bronc76, you're still going to have to tell us just what kind of driving experience you expect. I know you gave a lot of good info (more than most that pose this question in fact) and are honest about what it's going to do most of the time.
But it's not the garage living or the fact that it's going to be on city streets AND the freeway. It's what you expect it to deliver in each case.

Cruising down the freeway at an easy lope would be totally different than stoplight-to-stoplight response. Being able to rapidly accelerate at any speed and cruising along with big tires is not likely going to be anything but a compromise of one or the other. And, like was mentioned, just how is the engine built? Exactly? In other words, What cam? What exhaust? What mods (if any) to the transmission?
And what are your driving habits? How exactly do you drive around town? You like to just plonk along, or do you expect it to get out of it's own way at lights? What do you actually LIKE a vehicle to do on the freeway? Cruise easily at lower rpms or be able to get out of it's own way when you push the go-pedal?
They're likely going to be mutually exclusive in your case.

It's good that you don't have to strive for mileage, because a 5.5" lift and 36 inch anything tires is not going to get you there. Especially if your engine is rebuilt as basically stock. You'll be lucky to get into the 12 range. Ever!

So, with still a few questions still to be answered, I'll go out on a limb and say that, because you're running 36" tires and have a C4, I'd say to go with at least the 4.56 ratios. Even 4.88's if you want more stock-like performance around town and don't expect to go on long freeway trips, or don't mind a little higher rpm buzzing if you do.
It'll take it easier on the tranny as well.

TBS-POPS has a lot of experience and knows his stuff, so don't overlook his recommendation, in spite of what I say, but what I get from your description tells me you'll be happier with the lower gearing. Your automatic is certainly more forgiving of taller gearing, but I feel you're still losing some ooomph when getting the pig rolling.

Good luck. Take all the answers you get and wad them up and chew on them for awhile to get your answer.

Want to pick a ratio that I can be happy with and not second guess myself. Thanks.

Sorry, not going to happen.
See? You just can't get away from your previous decision to lift it and go with larger tires than Ford ever thought would go on to their little wagon. You're going to deal with enough of a range of ratios and mulitple opinions from us that you will likely always second-guess your final decision.

Have fun either way though.

Paul

OP
OP
B

Bronc76

Thanks for the great opinions guys, thats what I wanted to hear. The engine itself only has a mild cam and .030 over TRW pistons, everything else is stock. The tranny has a shift and valve body kit. Stock 3" exhaust off of convertor.

Dirt- In your 4th paragraph, you stated what I was fishing for, less strain on transmission. I think I will be happy with a lower gear and I have thought about losing some of the ooomph. I have never really worried about striving for gas mileage, isn't half the fun pulling into gas stations and getting stares?;D

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...isn't half the fun pulling into gas stations and getting stares?;D

Hah! Yeah, it is. UNLESS, you're one of the many that has a Bronco that makes them absolutely struggle to fill the tank up. If you're one of those, you know what I mean!

Paul

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I agree I'd also go with the 4.56 or 4.88 never know you may want bigger tires or a different tranny someday. You need to keep the gearing low to keep your engine in its power band and keep that tranny happy. I dont think it would live as long or be as fun to drive with 4.11's and 36 in tires. Proper gearing makes all the differance in the world it will make a dog feel peppy.