• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Another rock ski thread

BroncoJAK

Bronco Guru
This last OCBR was the final straw on the damage I've been doing to my rockers and quarters.:cry: Spent the day yesterday doing the drivers side rock ski.;D Time permitting I'll do the passenger side this week. It will take longer as the trails I've been running lately have been less than forgiving to the right side.%)
I used 2x6 1/4 wall square tubing. Couldn't find 3/16 anywhere near me. I cut the rocker off 3/8" below the door sill. Welded just to the body, I've done this before and have wheeled with many the same and it works perfectly. I did take lots of pics as I went but, for some reason lost before pics. Feel free to ask any questions or express your opinions even if you're wrong.;)

Attachments

• MVC-001S.JPG
    MVC-001S.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 159
  • MVC-003S.JPG
    MVC-003S.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 162
  • MVC-004S.JPG
    MVC-004S.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 169
  • MVC-024S.JPG
    MVC-024S.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 236
  • MVC-029S.JPG
    MVC-029S.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 165

BIGED

Guru ????
John ive been looking for 3/16 as well could only find it in a 20 ft stick and at 8.49 a foot ill wait . I dont need it for the rocks as much as the cancer. Looks good cant wait to do mine.:)

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
Hey jak, looks good, I'm in the process of doing mine. I'm 3/8" below the door opening, won't that put a tilt to it or are you welding to the inner rocker at level??;D ;D
Thanks!!

OP
OP
BroncoJAK

BroncoJAK

Bronco Guru
John ive been looking for 3/16 as well could only find it in a 20 ft stick and at 8.49 a foot ill wait . I dont need it for the rocks as much as the cancer. Looks good cant wait to do mine.:)

Same here. Closest thing I could find was the 1/4 wall and they sold it to me at cost and cut it to 2-5' lengths. So I'm happy.

OP
OP
BroncoJAK

BroncoJAK

Bronco Guru
Hey jak, looks good, I'm in the process of doing mine. I'm 3/8" below the door opening, won't that put a tilt to it or are you welding to the inner rocker at level??;D ;D
Thanks!!

Exactly, I cut the outer rocker 3/8" from the sill and marked the inner at the 2" level. Measured an inch up from there and cut the inner off. I plug welded the inner as well as stitched in between plugs. Stronger and it beats welding the length of the seam as you're lying under it.

Attachments

• MVC-027S.JPG
    MVC-027S.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 166
  • MVC-028S.JPG
    MVC-028S.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 167
  • MVC-032S.JPG
    MVC-032S.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 197

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Exactly, I cut the outer rocker 3/8" from the sill and marked the inner at the 2" level. Measured an inch up from there and cut the inner off. I plug welded the inner as well as stitched in between plugs. Stronger and it beats welding the length of the seam as you're lying under it.

Good idea about plug welding the inners. I wish I had thought of that! I welded full length and it was a PITA. Puts you in a bad position unless of course if you have a lift. I still remember the smell of my shirt on fire . . . ;D

ned72

Loc.
Truckee
is this actually strong enough, because i didn't think that welding a big piece of tubing straight to sheet metal would actually be structually sound. Also if you get it in the right way won't the sheet metal just get ripped off a way thicker piece of metal.

Buldozer

Bronco Virtuoso
Loc.
God's Country
I didn't realize you did any damage at OCBR John. Looks good. Is this about the same technique you used on Ben's?

kbldawg

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marshall, AR
I think you're thinking about mine; John built my rock skis. Looks like the same idear, except he went with 6" wide tubing, mine are 5".

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
Looks good. Keep the pics and info coming. I'm about to cut mine. I've already got the 2x6x1/4 (only thing available also).

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Good work man.. Definitely a Must have on the Bronco.. ;)

green77bronco

Loc.
SAn Antonio,TX
is this actually strong enough, because i didn't think that welding a big piece of tubing straight to sheet metal would actually be structually sound. Also if you get it in the right way won't the sheet metal just get ripped off a way thicker piece of metal.

I've seen some threads where square tubing is run fron the rockski to the frame, If you feel you will need more bracing.

rmfreeze

Loc.
Benton, Arkansas
is this actually strong enough

I did mine similarly (no plug welds but longer stitches) and came down on both sides at OCBR - once pretty hard - and they held up fine. Plenty strong. I had thought about mating them up to the roll cage plates with some bent tube but don't see the need.

Oh - looks good John! :cool:

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Looks good John,

Dozer I do have the same thing on my rig but I built mine. I bolted mine through the door sill at that time and I really need to finish welding them on to the sheet metal. I have seen some people run them, where they are connected to the frame and not the body. But when you cut out all of the rocker panel, inner and outer sheet metal you lose some structural stiffness IMHO.

Ben

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looking good John, thanks for giving us something to go by, Bradlee will need this if there is enough rocker left to weld to after the bondo is gone.

OP
OP
BroncoJAK

BroncoJAK

Bronco Guru

I was always one that thought they needed to be tied into the frame. Having witnessed first hand how well this works especially compared to the factory sheetmetal, I'm a firm believer I'll never have to worry about it. The load is spread out and really no edges to catch. Short of a boat sided full width belly pan, this is the best option IMO.