• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anybody cut an Explorer Waterpump?

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
I'm in the process of changing over from Explorer mechanical fan to a Volvo electric. The Explorer serp gives more clearance for the electric fan but I'm trying to maximize the space. I have already flipped the radiator brackets in order to pull the radiator closer to the core support. Looking at the water pump, if I cut the threads off, I'll gain an extra 1/2" roughly. From the pic, I can see 2 different pieces of metal and think its probably the impellor pressed onto pulley. Wondering if its a bad idea to cut it? any body else do this?

Attachments

• IMG_4038.jpg
    IMG_4038.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 77

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The '94-'95 mustang pump doesn't have the threads. I'm not sure of the bolt pattern and flange offset though. You might compare them at a parts store.

OP
OP
sanndmann3

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the tip Viperwolf1, I'll have to check that out. I bet the bolt pattern is the same but the offset may be an issue...

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The pulley offset is very close, if not exact. Never had them side-by-side for comparison, but there are actual measurements and specifications on the Flowkooler website for that kind of stuff. Or at least there used to be.
Now that they sell both the Mustang and Explorer pumps, you might find the specs for both and never have to drive down to the store.

Paul

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just wondering if the heat from cutting the threads portion off work damage the water pump seals.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Probably out far enough, but it wouldn't hurt to cut it in stages to keep it cooler.
Leaving the pulley in place as not only a spacer for sizing but as a small heat-sink can't hurt either.
Grinders can certainly build up some heat, but a hand hacksaw wouldn't be so much as to hurt the seal I wouldn't think. Too hot to touch maybe, but probably not enough to hurt the seal.

Good question and worth thinking about though.

Paul

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Just wondering if the heat from cutting the threads portion off work damage the water pump seals.

I bet it would if you used a torch;D I think if you kept it cool by spraying cutting oil while cutting it would be fine. but never seen anyone cut one either lol

OP
OP
sanndmann3

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the replies. Cutting it would warm things up a bit but I was also considering welding the 2 pieces together to compensate for the loss of the press fit surface area (if that makes sense). welding would take the heat issue to a whole different level...

I was in the garage looking at this again today and I might try offsetting the fan to try and avoid cutting altogether. Will follow up with the direction I go in.

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
>>> I removed the threads with a cutoff wheel & a grinder back in '04.... probably 30,000ish miles ago....
P5071354.JPG

OP
OP
sanndmann3

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
Perfect! thanks for the feedback 76! And a really nice, clean engine bay you got there! :)

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Water pump seals are pretty tough mechanical type seal usually stainless steel and graphite pretty tough to hurt unless you get the shaft red hot.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Running the Explorer fan and fan clutch are the best features of the Explorer front dress. You guys aren't using it?

Mark

RPM289

>>> I removed the threads with a cutoff wheel & a grinder back in '04.... probably 30,000ish miles ago....
P5071354.JPG

Looks great and plenty of clearance there to me :) but if you cut it a portaband saw is the way to go.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Water pump shafts are usually bearing steel or case hardened shafts I would not use a portaband saw, those blades are not cheep to replace. A cutoff wheel would be my implement of choice. Go slow and let it cool off several times as you cut through.

My only conflict with this is what you going too do if your water pump fails away from home. In my 39 years of playing this game I have had to replace water pumps twice out in the field and with my odd ball 1974 California edition water pump it was a challenge but nothing like having a modified pump.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Water pump shafts are usually bearing steel or case hardened shafts I would not use a portaband saw, those blades are not cheep to replace. A cutoff wheel would be my implement of choice. Go slow and let it cool off several times as you cut through.

My only conflict with this is what you going too do if your water pump fails away from home. In my 39 years of playing this game I have had to replace water pumps twice out in the field and with my odd ball 1974 California edition water pump it was a challenge but nothing like having a modified pump.

That's an excellent point, I really refrain from modified parts for this reason. Of the couple that I have, I carry spares with me. A must have, that cannot be bought at the parts store is my ECU from EFI guy.

Mark

OP
OP
sanndmann3

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
It tends to run hot when slow running in the two tracks... cools down under full throttle so I was thinking an electric fan might help. Also nice to be able to turn it off when in the water...