• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anybody use farm impliment paint???

johnnybgood74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
boise, idaho
i ran across some at D&B Supply today and wondered if any one might have used it on their Bronco frame or parts. the guy said its super durable and doesnt chip easily. just curious if it would make a good frame paint. sure alot cheaper than por15

mritchy1

I have used industrial black on a lot of my suspension and it work's good . I don't have it on the road yet to know how it holds up.

bpugh88

I have a buddy that used international red enamel on an old chevy 1500. It did a really good job. It's just plain old enamel paint that isn't really fancy but if you do a good job on the prep work, there is no reason why any paint would not work.

OP
OP
johnnybgood74

johnnybgood74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
boise, idaho
well the frame is going to get either blasted or wire wheeled down the the bare metal. then i was going to use marine clean to degrease it. then i was going to prime it and if i can i was going to use the impliment gloss black.

hannibal61577

Loc.
BOISE
I used some of that vansickle tractor paint from D&B on my dash and interior door panels. They haven't seen any abuse yet, so don't know how well it will hold up. I also used the gloss black, same brand, on a bunch of stuff and it's held up well.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Used NAPA industrial coatings safety red. Took a few years but faded to an orangish pink. Nothing spectacular about the paint. It would chip and scratch just like anything else.

BroncoWanted

Loc.
North Mississippi
well the frame is going to get either blasted or wire wheeled down the the bare metal. then i was going to use marine clean to degrease it. then i was going to prime it and if i can i was going to use the impliment gloss black.

If you are going to that much trouble already I would use etching primer and then scuff it. After that add a sealer and a good single stage paint adding hardener to the mix before you spray it.

That's what I used to do to the belly pan and frames on our tractors and they saw a lot of bush hogging and fresh cutting time with all kind of brush rubbing the bottom. Even with that kind of abuse it would last 2-3 years and in most cases only spots would rub off.

Dan74Bronc

Loc.
Chandler, Az
I used JD green on my motor. Brushed it on when I built the motor 10 years ago and has held up well. I used the JD green from a spray can on my trailer hitch when I built it 12 years ago, it's faded but has not chipped or had any rust spots show thru yet. I think the paint it pretty tough but fades and becomes chalky after a few years. I think automotive paint would hold up better and hold a shine longer but it's a bit more spendy.