• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone done a push button start?

86caprirs

Loc.
Chestermere, Alberta
I just have no need for the key and want to make it a push button start. Has anyone done this? How did you wire it in. I have to say I am not smart when it comes to electrical....well mostly following the diagrams. I know the wires are already at the switch. I guess I need a on/off toggle switch for powering the system,and a hold on button not a on/off button to trigger the solinoid?

Thanks in advance.

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
So you are going to get rid of one switch (ignition key switch) and replace it with two? I'm not sure you are modernizing your ignition system.

My dad had a 1940 Ford truck that had the new improved system you are considering. It had a toggle switch on the dash, and a push button starter.
Most airplanes are the same way.
Lots of old jeeps had on switch and a foot button on the floor that engaged the solenoid.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The history of pushbutton starting in modern cars...

Early engines with distributors and carburators could start in a partial turn of the engine if everything was right. Very short crank times.
Later as engines got computerized the computer actually needed to know what cylinder was where and sometimes even what stroke that cylinder was on. This lead to some extened crank times on some engines. 4.0L Jeeps are real bad.
About 13 years ago Chrysler put a lockout on the starter solenoid so it would not engage when the engine was running. They were having issues with old people grinding the starter down trying to start a running engine.
Later the OEMs started putting an interface between the key and the solenoid. Chrysler had the patent on the running engine interlock, so others found that if you let the computer decide if the engine should be cranked or not it did the same function as the Chrysler patent, but since the logic was different it was not a patent infrindgment. Sometimes you can tell these systems as when you turn the key it take a fraction of a second before the engine starts cranking over.
The next eveloution was to let the computer control the engine cranking. This did wonders for reducing the complaints of customers on "long crank time". You just touch the key and the engine starts, no more releasing the key just before the engine lights off and having a mis-start. This also works good at preventing the pre-cats from loading up on fuel as they are getting more aggressive and getting placed closer to each cylinder.
At this point you are at the point that the computer completely controls the starting of the engine.
Anoter leg comes along, the key fob. For years it was a handy pushbutton way of unlocking the doors. But in the past few years they got smart. No longer do you even need to remove the key from your pocket. It is a very low power radio reciever/transmitter. Range about 3 feet. (the conventional keyfob is still there with its standard range as well). When you are close to the multiple antenna on the vehicle it senses the key/fob and will let you unlock or lock the door. If it senses the key inside, push the button and it starts the engine.
That is the history of the modern pushbutton starter.

Now the old school pushbutton starter. Like most race cars. Toggle switch for the ignition (and other features), push the button and the engine cranks over. Sometimes they will even wire the starter so it will work without the ignition, handy for bumping the engine over during maintance without starting it. IT is done as it is simpler then an ignition key. Simple enough you can't loose the key either. Security is not very relevent, you don't park your race car at the mall.

OP
OP
86caprirs

86caprirs

Loc.
Chestermere, Alberta
I just figured a toggle to turn it on and a push button to start. Go to an electronics store for the parts.

I should mention that the ingintion is kinda buggered and It would be alot easier to do this instead of fixing the ignition switch. Then I can't loose the keys to when I am offroading.

Last edited:

Smokeater11

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Auburndale,FL
Coming from a racing background I am planning to put all of my electrical stuff on toggles. Ignition, headlights, wipers, blinkers and back up lights(it's a 66). I have looked at the 12volt guy from above and he has a lot of really cool stuff and I'll probably get my switch panel from him when I'm ready. As far as actually wiring it, I haven't a clue but I still have a lot of friends in the racing community and I am going to bride one of them to do that portion of the wiring for me. If you know someone who races or you have a race shop in your area that might be a place to start. I'm planning on putting all my switches on the left hand side of the dash where the guage cluster would have normally gone.

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
One power wire from the battery positive to the toggle. Two wires from the toggle, one resistor style to the coil , one 12v to the push button. One wire from push button to starter solenoid. Easy breezy

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I did my own push button start and switch panel. I have 1 master toggle which operates a relay for main power on. I also have one of those "round key" switches which controls the power to the master toggle. I did that just in case I want to lock the power off at any time. I have only used it once or twice so not sure that I would bother wiring it in again. Simply having no key and a bunch of toggles (unmarked!) intimidates most people anyway!

Here's a couple of pics where you can see the round key switch and the push button. The master toggle is the first one next to the push button. (Tito - you could easilly hide the round key switch somewhere.)

I bought the push button and the toggles at Advance and got the round key from a local computer repair shop. I think the push button was about $8, IIRC. The only thing I regret is doing the switch panel in diamond plate!!;D

Attachments

• DSC02536.JPG
    DSC02536.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 181
  • DSC02537.JPG
    DSC02537.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 146
OP
OP
86caprirs

86caprirs

Loc.
Chestermere, Alberta
One power wire from the battery positive to the toggle. Two wires from the toggle, one resistor style to the coil , one 12v to the push button. One wire from push button to starter solenoid. Easy breezy

I should just be able to use the existing wires that are at the ignition switch. I just need a diagram to know what wires go where.

I like the full pannel with switches to keep everything in one spot. I could even do a cooling fan switch, wiper switch, lights....I love that idea.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
The rest of my switches are fuel pump, ARB compressor and tranny cooler fan. I left the stock wiper switch since I upgraded to a delay switch and didn't want to lose that feature.

OP
OP
86caprirs

86caprirs

Loc.
Chestermere, Alberta
Hmm. But if you get a 6 switch pannel, you might as well use it up. Plus it cleanes it up on the dash too. Then you get a checker plate overlay to make it look clean.

jetsg4

Loc.
Baton Rouge
I just rewired mine in my 75. There is hot wire, an ACC, an ignition hot, and a starter wire.

Get a multi-meter and take out your old switch. It will be easy as pie to figure out which wire does what. Probably doesn't matter, but if you do a single toggle switch for everything and a starter button, you're going to lose your ACC only option.

OP
OP
86caprirs

86caprirs

Loc.
Chestermere, Alberta
But what do we or maybe just I need the Acc position for?Should not run anything till i swap to fuel injection......even then? The steering does not lock right?

I can go to fordfuelinjection.com for the wire diagrams right?

jetsg4

Loc.
Baton Rouge
i use mine for the radio, i don't know anything else you'd need it for. i HATE having a radio hard wired in, and it's a must to have the radio @ the river(especially during football season).