• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone done a push button start?

Lumpy

Remember that the accessories should shut off when the starter is turned on. A reverse voltage spike when the starter button is released may fry some fuses or accessories. That's why everything turns off when you start the engine with the key ignition.

OP
OP
86caprirs

86caprirs

Loc.
Chestermere, Alberta
OK. Make sence.

So I need a good diagram to do this then but I cannot find one. I want to do main power switch BK/Y wire, a start switch R/BL wire, a cooling fan switch (my own wiring) and then I will hard wire my winch. Is ther anything I am missing? Coil power? anything like that. I have to say I suck at wiring and I am in the automotive trade.

Casey835

I know this may be a little different from everybody else but wanted to share anyways............back in the day i had an 81 accord we ran around through the woods and such. I rewired it so that you turn the intermident wipers on to power everything up(fuel pump mainly) then press the washer fluid button to start it. That was one tough car!

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I just DROVE a SRT10 Dodge Tr 1500 today ..it had a key to turn on and a big RED BOTTON on the dash push to start ...

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
OK. Make sence.

So I need a good diagram to do this then but I cannot find one. I want to do main power switch BK/Y wire, a start switch R/BL wire, a cooling fan switch (my own wiring) and then I will hard wire my winch. Is ther anything I am missing? Coil power? anything like that. I have to say I suck at wiring and I am in the automotive trade.

This might help.

Attachments

• push button start.JPG
    push button start.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 71

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
I wired up my old jeep so that I had a key switch that used a removable key. In order to start the CJ, you have to have the key in the on position, then it had a toggle for the ignition and a push button to start it.

In town I could lock it. On weekends in the desert, I could turn the key on, then put it back in the RV for safekeeping, and just jump in and start it w/o a key.
Tom