• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone ever use an Ethanol neutralizer?

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
I have used Lucas too but,filled up the tank and boiled fuel out the fill tube onto the ground.? I now have a local very reliable none ethanol source for gas .

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
In my DD's use nothing. This includes my Bronco as it's driven all the time.

I use 100% pure gas (no Ethanol) in all my small engines.

In my boat, I use 100% pure gas (no Ethanol) When I can and Sta-Bil Marine

I use 100% pure gas (no Ethanol) in my Mach 1 and Sta-Bil

Tim

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Keeps fuel fresh for over a year. Don't have any ethanol free gas near me. This has served my boat and seasonal equipment well. Outperformed Sta-bil by a noticeable margin.

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
PRI-G instead of star brite or Staybill

I will give credit where credit is due- couple of years ago when we were looking at ways to store gasoline for longer terms this came across various sites so I tried it. Personal experience: I let my ranger truggy sit for six months last year with NON ETHANOL fuel and when I tried to get it to run mid summer it was terrible. Had to change the ff, drain the tank, clean etc.... Used PRI-G with the new fuel and it ran great. Now to the deal. I had about 5 gallons of the "old gas" from the fuel cell. Treated it with PRI-G and ran the gasoline pwd lawn tractor for several mowings..... The stuff WORKS- I will get some fuel out of storage this spring for spring tilling of the gardens and lawn mowing soon- hope it stored as well as it brought the old fuel back to life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN7Y965iO3Q

http://solar1234.com/
scroll down to ***Fuel and Fuel Storage for Preparedness **** and click on "listen to .......

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...&ie=UTF-8#q=Best+price+on+PRI-G&safe=active&*

OP
OP
ATLJrod

ATLJrod

Loc.
Orlando, FL
Seems like if i drive it 5-7 times a week then there is nothing to worry about? I just don't want a bunch of build up around the carb if I can avoid it

Eoth

Bronco Guru
I used starbrite and sta-bil (and a few other brands). Every one of them did as advertised. Motor started up after long sleep and ran fine...... E10 Gas has a shelf life of 3 months. When it is "driving season" I really don't have a problem with staying in my tank for too long (and I run it pretty low before filling-up).

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
When I had fuel problems supposedly ethanol related it didn't matter what you use. The stuff corrodes and crystallize and nothing dissolves it. Additives may buy you a few months before it goes bad but once the stuff gets old your done. At least with neglected pure gas you can clean that stuff out with harsh solvents. Drive it and use it or drain it or pay the price.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I have never used any products in any equipment and have never once had an issue with gas, even gas that is 3-4 years old with ethanol in it.

I've had issues with ethanol gas in my small engines and in my Bronco when it used to sit for periods of time (3 plus weeks or more). It was always my dads golf cart...Jelly plugging up the system

Jelly in the carb was the main issue. It's all about humidity/moisture in the air. Google "jelly in carburetor" and see what I was dealing with. Not a pretty sight.

No issues since running non-ethanol gas. I use Stai-bil just to help extend the life of gas in my boat as it sits all winter.

Tim

crankman

I run Seafoam in my bronco fuel tanks. Gas around here doesnt stay good very long. You got to use the gas up or else.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I use pure gas in my power equipment at the recommendation of the Stihl shop, but I haven't had a problem yet with 10% ethanol in any of my cars.
Sometimes my aux tank sits full and unused for six months or more.
But then again it might just be full of goo, waiting for me.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Did you ever think that it might be these additives everyone is so hot about causing the goo problems?

I hate to see people taken advantage of by some company preying on people's fears with things like "enzymatic action" or some other BS line because sounds like advanced technology.

I agree......

My issue was not due to the additives (nor was pops golf cart) as I/he wasn't running additives in anything that gave me/us issues. Just gas from the pump with 10% Eth. He fought me for 3 years as to the cause. When he did switch to no Eth gas in his cart, the issue stopped. He's happy and I'm happy not having to clean the fuel system each spring.

I agree, lots of snake-oil out there. "enzymatic action" is marketing. Even if there were enzymes, what specific biochemical reaction would they be doing to the fuel?

Fuel does have a shelf life no matter if it's 10% eth or not. The only thing I use is Stai-Bil and only use it when I shut down my boat and Mach 1 for the winter. I've never had a single issue with either. I don't run any additives in my other 4 daily drivers and I've never had an issue with them either.

Tim

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Turns out Sta-bil is deodorized kerosene as well. I guess you can save a lot of money and instead of paying $8 for an 8 ounce bottle, you can buy a gallon of it for under $3. Of course you would have to put up with the odor of regular kerosene.

I have heard that you can add sassafras oil to kerosene to remove the odor. People do that and use it in their oil lamps.

tirewater

Loc.
San Francisco Bay Area
I agree......

My issue was not due to the additives (nor was pops golf cart) as I/he wasn't running additives in anything that gave me/us issues. Just gas from the pump with 10% Eth. He fought me for 3 years as to the cause. When he did switch to no Eth gas in his cart, the issue stopped. He's happy and I'm happy not having to clean the fuel system each spring.
Tim

Ethanol blended gas has been in use since the early 1980's when federal subsidies were started to help out farmers in the midwest. I grew up in Iowa and have put plenty of the ethanol gas in my vehicles, primarily because it was 10 cents cheaper than the equivalent non ethanol blend. I never experienced gel'ing of gas in any vehicle, carburetor or not.

Ethanol has become the "new" boogeyman in regards to fuel system problems. The anecdotal stories of bad ethanol tend to show extremely dirty carburetors with dirt & dust in them and somehow ethanol is to blame. Carburetors need semi-regular maintenance, ethanol or not.

At this point, I don't know who to believe and tend to be skeptical of any claims for or against Ethanol.

I've used Stabil with no issues. I had an old porsche stored for *fifteen* years with Stabil and it was able to be started with little prep (it did not run well to be truthful). Was it the stabil or something else? I don't know. My only issue is that if Stabil works, why wouldn't the oil companies add it to begin with?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Ethanol, C2H5OH, moonshine, corn liquor. What does it neutralize it into? Unless that is known it is nothing more than snake oil.

Conspiracy theory, any change is an evil change. Couple of decades ago there was a change in water supply here in AZ. The PH levels were slightly different than the old water supply. Every water leak, every water heater that went out, all blamed on the new water supply. Never mind the water heater was already 12 years old and the anode was dissolved 7 years before.

And what about MTBE?

As for the true fuel site, I have yet to see good data to back it. Someone claims pure gas and they are on the list. I am sure that some places the data is good. But in places where oxygenated fuel is required by law I don't see how the sites could be accurate.

For my stuff that sits forever, namely my boat that goes out a couple times a year. I run AV-gas. It is an older engine, designed for leaded gas. The octane is a total waste on this engine. But that AV-gas is a great picking fuel. Let it sit for a year (sometimes several years) and it still starts and runs on it.

I've also experienced stale pump gas stick valves a few times. I can think of 3 incidents off the top of my head. it was always destructive to the engine. It was always a vehicle that was parked (abandoned) for many years and got the engine running on whatever old fuel was in the tank that was always skunky. But that skunk gas can't always be blamed on ethanol, regular gas goes bad when left for too long as well.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I wonder if there is something else to blame. Maybe a regional thing?
Most of these jelly bowl issues look like they are in southern states.
Here, if I mention it, I just get a dumb look.?:?

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
I don't know if any of the "neutralizers" do any good. If ethanol could be neutralized to prevent any alleged issues, I expect the corn suppliers and EPA would be promoting that. Then the government would require stations to sell E15. Our mileage would drop more, we would buy more gas, the government would get more tax revenue, and the farmers would sell more corn..... woohoo.

It's actually the distributors who add the ethanol, not the refiners. At least that's what the distributor here told me. Ethanol is added to the trucks when they make a delivery. Seems like they could add this mysterious neutralizer instead of selling ethanol free gas.

The EPA has admitted that ethanol deteriorates certain materials and can cause engine issues. Just google "EPA ethanol damage". I have never seen any official mention of the goo problem, even from Mercury Marine which said the following:

Mercury Marine takes issue with anyone who says that there have been no product problems under the current E10 limits. Problems encountered under the current E10 law include:
• Damage to rubber parts and adhesives
• Water contamination of the fuel system due to Ethanol’s hydroscopic nature
• Corrosion of fuel system components due to water contamination
• Higher exhaust gas temperatures due to enleanment (marine engines are almost all
open loop and can not compensate for fuel properties)