• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone having this FiTech Issue?

bteutsch

Question- You say the green is the tach but then you say it's probably the brown one in my pic.
I have a yellow, green, and red wire.
The red wire had my electric choke spliced into it when I had my carb on.

I was going off of my connector from memory with the right side being the green one labeled tach. I have a 1977 Duraspark set up. Your connector should be labeled. I can take some pictures of mine if it will help you. Which ever wire comes off of the negative side of your coil is the tach connection and also where your blue wire will connect. Yours could be different. But whichever is negative is the one you use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

work765

anyone have a close up picture of where they mounted the connecting wire harness and wires? (where the big wire connects to the two smaller ones and breaks off.) All the pics on here seem to be with the air filter on and lookin purty..

also is it okay if the 02 wire hangs down and touches part of the engine?

The Coolent temp censor, I screwed this in with a wrench, but didnt get it allll the way down. I need a deep socket which i dont have. Will this be fine temporarily? (its in a bit and tight, just not totally all the way in)

whats the best place to run the fuel line if doing an inline pump? out the back driver side or front driver side?

when i mount the fuel line to the frame, are you guys using the existing black little plastic things that are stock i assume? (has break line and fuel line in it now) Do i just pop those off and run my new high pressure fuel line in it? how does those little plastic things come off? just pop off?

NYLES

Bronco Guru
anyone have a close up picture of where they mounted the connecting wire harness and wires? (where the big wire connects to the two smaller ones and breaks off.) All the pics on here seem to be with the air filter on and lookin purty.. A lil outside the frame passenger side

also is it okay if the 02 wire hangs down and touches part of the engine?

NO, them jokers bout $150 no reason for it to be touching,. Touching valve cover might be acceptable but nothing else

The Coolent temp censor, I screwed this in with a wrench, but didnt get it allll the way down. I need a deep socket which i dont have. Will this be fine temporarily? (its in a bit and tight, just not totally all the way in)

If its tight no leaks your good

whats the best place to run the fuel line if doing an inline pump?
out the back driver side or front driver side?

Both of mine are out back down top of driverside frame rail.

when i mount the fuel line to the frame, are you guys using the existing black little plastic things that are stock i assume? (has break line and fuel line in it now) Do i just pop those off and run my new high pressure fuel line in it? how does those little plastic things come off? just pop off?

They are pegged into the frame yes pop em out, but I don't know what you going to use for fuel line if it's the push lock stuff from Fitech it's not going under em,. And you'll have 2 big lines running there now

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Well got it running over the weekend...drove around in the yard a lil.....runs great!

work765

The supplied billet bracket for the inline fuel pump is too big!!! The holes extend pass the frame. What on earth did you guys do?
Is it possible to redrill the billet? Is there enough clearance? Or??

work765

ce267f8f881fc2c8b4b7406b57c2d4bd.jpg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Two things that come to mind are welding an extension piece to the frame in a convenient location, or bolt a longer strip to the frame so that some of it extends up or down (preferably up though, I would think?) to give you the extra spacing needed for the bracket.

But the simplest would be to drill one or two new holes in the bracket, as you were thinking. Looks very drillable from here. Anything on the other side that would get in the way?
If not... Drill baby, drill!

Or heck, you could even use that aircraft grade double-sided sticky stuff!;D Adds to the insulation factor ;)

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nice looking bracket actually. Looks stout. Too bad they made it so big.
I'm sure they're just spacing it out far enough to make inserting the bolts easier, but I would think a similar one with some kind of offset to the holes would still let you do it with a narrower pattern.

If not, a little more hassle, but fairly clean install might be to drill the holes close in on the body of the pump, use threaded inserts in the bracket itself and then drill through-holes in the frame and bolt it from the other side.
As said, more of a hassle than it might be worth when bolting on an extended strip to attach the pump bracket to might be much easier.

Good luck.

Paul

work765

Two things that come to mind are welding an extension piece to the frame in a convenient location, or bolt a longer strip to the frame so that some of it extends up or down (preferably up though, I would think?) to give you the extra spacing needed for the bracket.

But the simplest would be to drill one or two new holes in the bracket, as you were thinking. Looks very drillable from here. Anything on the other side that would get in the way?
If not... Drill baby, drill!

Or heck, you could even use that aircraft grade double-sided sticky stuff!;D Adds to the insulation factor ;)

Paul

Thanks Pual! To rescue as usual!

I'm gonna do some measuring to see if it can be drilled and still make it on the frame. (That would be the easiest) if not that. I would have to temporarily attach it so I can drive to the welder and have him add some metal.

Everything up till this point has been so easy and smooth. Let's hope this goes over the same.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I haven't looked yet, but how does the pump attach to the clamp? What about just welding the clamp right to the frame and then strapping on the pump? Would that work?

Paul

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Any way a square U-bolt would fit around the frame and use the factory bracket holes to simply add nuts to?

NYLES

Bronco Guru
get apiece of flat stock weld it to top of your frame drill ya holes, bolt it on top

work765

I haven't looked yet, but how does the pump attach to the clamp? What about just welding the clamp right to the frame and then strapping on the pump? Would that work?

Paul

I thought about that too! Which isn't a bad idea at all. I would just be hesitant to add something to the frame semi permanent.
It's also billet aluminum. Isnt that problematic?

NYLES

Bronco Guru
I thought about that too! Which isn't a bad idea at all. I would just be hesitant to add something to the frame semi permanent.
It's also billet aluminum. Isnt that problematic?

Yea aluminum to steel not gonna happen!

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
When I did my EFI install I used a piece of sheet metal to mount the pump and filters and mounted it to the inside of the frame to where I can take the hose off each end and take the whole thing out as 1 piece if I wanted to.

Attachments

• IMG_1202.jpg
    IMG_1202.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1215.jpg
    IMG_1215.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 41

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Any way a square U-bolt would fit around the frame and use the factory bracket holes to simply add nuts to?

Or just bend some sheet metal into a u-shaped strap so you can make your own. Saves you the trouble of finding a u-bolt just the right size.
But I think bolting or welding a straight strap is going to work out to be the easiest.

Nice setup JW! What's it bolted to? I think I see at least one frame bracket, but it's hard to tell.

Thanks

Paul

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nice setup JW! What's it bolted to? I think I see at least one frame bracket, but it's hard to tell.

I used the old 4070 pump bracket for one end and made a L shaped bracket bolted to the frame for the other end.

RedLeg0811

Loc.
Maltby, WA
I have the FItech pump also and ran into that problem. I took some flat stock that was about the same width bolted it to the frame then bolted the pump to it.

On a side note I was having Deceleration back fire when down shifting. I was going to wait for a buddy that knows what he is doing to help tune it, but he is out on summer test taking calibration data for our trucks. Anyway I dropped the Decel map a bit and I think my problem is solved. I will tell you more down the road.