• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone having this FiTech Issue?

bteutsch

What do I need to do with my manual fuel pump? Do I just unbolt it and that's that?

Also. Sorry this might be a dumb question: but my coil has this thing on it(white/yellow cap connector). Does that mean it's going to a CDI box? If so, how would I determine which wire was the "tach out" that I would attach to the blue wire on the fitech?

eac7972b2da057ff441bcb1c9b5249f0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That connector is called a horseshoe connector, it's from a Duraspark ignition system. Your tach connection will be the green wire on the right side of that horseshoe connector. Or basically the negative of your coil. In your picture it's most likely the brown wire.

work765

That connector is called a horseshoe connector, it's from a Duraspark ignition system. Your tach connection will be the green wire on the right side of that horseshoe connector. Or basically the negative of your coil.

Thank you!
I was looking on Google last night and couldn't figure it out. Glad you guys are here!

ChrisC74

Mine wont crank, flooding itself out before it starts?

So it is turning over but can't start? When you turn the key one notch does the pump prime and then shutoff until you crank? You are running a rail pump with return right?

ChrisC74

What do I need to do with my manual fuel pump? Do I just unbolt it and that's that?

Also. Sorry this might be a dumb question: but my coil has this thing on it(white/yellow cap connector). Does that mean it's going to a CDI box? If so, how would I determine which wire was the "tach out" that I would attach to the blue wire on the fitech?

eac7972b2da057ff441bcb1c9b5249f0.jpg

Which pump are you going back with?

work765

I bought the inline fuel kit from fitech. I priced out everything(all the parts of the kit) individually from jegs and summit. And the fitech kit came in cheaper than both of those retailers.

I'm doing this till i pull the trigger on a in sump tank and tank down the road.

bteutsch

Mine wont crank, flooding itself out before it starts?

Is it firing at all? Make sure you get a tach reading on the handheld.. And make sure the white wire in the sub harness gets power while cranking

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Is it firing at all? Make sure you get a tach reading on the handheld.. And make sure the white wire in the sub harness gets power while cranking

I just figured it out! I bet it cranks when I get home........I screwed up in about the 2nd thing I did when I swapped to the MSD dizzy!

I put my plug wires on going Counter clockwise in other words my firing order is 1 8 7 3 6 2 4 5 "NOT" 1 5 4 2 6 3 7 8.

I get the #1 dumbass award for this install.

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I get the #1 dumbass award for this install

Not at all, a DA wouldn't hav figured it out, he would have just kicked, cussed and starting ripping stuff out

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I guess they left out the part about the wires being in the right order ;D

"TIMING - (in an internal combustion engine) the times when the valves open and close, and the time of the ignition spark, in relation to the movement of the piston in the cylinder."

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I want to add something. It appears your horseshoe collar on your coil says "Tach" under the green wire. There is an index ridge on the coil keeping the horseshoe only going on in one direction.

Anyway to repair any damage done by the hill-billy piggy-back wire clips on the coil wires?

work765

I want to add something. It appears your horseshoe collar on your coil says "Tach" under the green wire. There is an index ridge on the coil keeping the horseshoe only going on in one direction.

Anyway to repair any damage done by the hill-billy piggy-back wire clips on the coil wires?

Shoot. I was planning on using one of those piggy back splices to hook up my blue wire to the green wire. Is that not recommended?

And what do you mean there is an "index ridge keeping the horseshoe going in one direction"? That's like Chinese to me ;)

bteutsch

I think he is saying if you have the correct coil that goes with style connector that you got, it will only let you put the connector on one way, the correct way.

work765

How did you guys splice into most of the wires in this instal? Are those little plastic splices okay to use? Or do you guys solder?

bteutsch

I used ring style crimp on connectors, but my coil has threaded studs with nuts to make the connection

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I just figured it out! I bet it cranks when I get home........I screwed up in about the 2nd thing I did when I swapped to the MSD dizzy!
I put my plug wires on going Counter clockwise in other words my firing order is 1 8 7 3 6 2 4 5 "NOT" 1 5 4 2 6 3 7 8.

Did anything change? I'm guessing not, as your distributor DOES indeed turn counter-clockwise, so you likely have the firing order correct if you were figuring it like that.

And I gotta' say it, but I think most of us here use the word "crank" to indicate that the starter is spinning the engine. So if it's not cranking, the starter is not working.
The phrase "turning over" though, is the one still in the gray area. Where some of us use it the same as cranking, while others use it to indicate the engine firing up, or starting.
The British call that "tick over" when the engine fires. I grew up using turnover the same as cranking, but with it so similar to turnover, and so many using it to indicate starting, maybe that's the way it always was. I could go either way with that one nowadays.

But "cranking" is a hold over from when we actually used to hand crank the engine. "Turning it over" (geez %) ) by hand.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
How did you guys splice into most of the wires in this instal? Are those little plastic splices okay to use? Or do you guys solder?

It's possible that these stand alone TBI EFI setups are less finicky to signals, but I doubt it. Using that type of connector you risk either chasing your tail finding issues after the install, or chasing your tail down the road when things start acting up.
In other words, if you use Scotch-Locks or Snap-Taps or whatever that type of splice is called, you can't ever blame the computer for troubles.
We have enough wire-related issues with our old original wiring as it is. There are legitimate issues with some computers, but it's hard to know when the wiring is suspect as well.

Whenever using the original Ford wiring, you have to make sure it's in absolutely top notch condition, have to make sure any connections you make for the install are absolutely top notch too, and add ground wires all over the place!!!!

What's the general condition of your wiring currently?
What year is your Bronco?
Was the Duraspark factory or added afterwards?
If after, did you do it or did a PO?

Lots of things that will creep up and bite you in the butt when installing modern computer controlled engine systems on our old rigs.

Good luck.

Paul

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Did anything change? I'm guessing not, as your distributor DOES indeed turn counter-clockwise, so you likely have the firing order correct if you were figuring it like that.

And I gotta' say it, but I think most of us here use the word "crank" to indicate that the starter is spinning the engine. So if it's not cranking, the starter is not working.
The phrase "turning over" though, is the one still in the gray area. Where some of us use it the same as cranking, while others use it to indicate the engine firing up, or starting.
The British call that "tick over" when the engine fires. I grew up using turnover the same as cranking, but with it so similar to turnover, and so many using it to indicate starting, maybe that's the way it always was. I could go either way with that one nowadays.

But "cranking" is a hold over from when we actually used to hand crank the engine. "Turning it over" (geez %) ) by hand.

Paul

He's running...he had it wired counter clockwise but in the wrong order.....it all makes sense when you run it through the Mississippi/Alabama translator machine.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
I went clockwise in the correct order, I put em on counterclockwise fired right up less than a crankshaft turn. Runs great in the shop finishing up roll over damage and stuff should drive down the road tomorrow.

work765

That connector is called a horseshoe connector, it's from a Duraspark ignition system. Your tach connection will be the green wire on the right side of that horseshoe connector. Or basically the negative of your coil. In your picture it's most likely the brown wire.

Question- You say the green is the tach but then you say it's probably the brown one in my pic.
I have a yellow, green, and red wire.
The red wire had my electric choke spliced into it when I had my carb on.

Last edited: