• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone having this FiTech Issue?

charlesawhite

So I installed the relay today and ran 14 gauge wire for both the power and ground to the Fuel Command Center. Took it out for an hour plus on the back roads and after 50 Miles plus no issues. I am using a BC Bronco 23 gallon tank with the low pressure electric pump inside with a pressure regulator and getting a solid 5 PSI. I am hoping it was a power/ground issue all along (seems like it's always the simple things).

rnrmp

Loc.
owasso
I have had no ECU problems so far and all of a sudden it is doggie with acceleration and reset the learn and didn't help and then found a leak in the exhaust. Will get the exhaust reworked and should be back to roasting 33's. This system is very sensitive to any exhaust leaks, otherwise performs great.

charlesawhite

Well it happened again. But this time while trying to restart it I could hear my in tank pump going but no injectors. Then after sitting a while I could hear the injectors kick in and it fired up. So I think i'm down to an ECU issue. Calling FITech today to see what they say. Will keep everyone posted.

charlesawhite

I called FITech this morning and can't say they were very helpful but the did call back when they said they would so that's something. We ended up doing just a couple of things. I took the relay to the fuel command center out since it was getting power and it seemed that fuel pressure wasn't the cause. I reset all the learning systems and now i'm down to driving it around hoping to catch it going out with the data log on. The tech felt that it had to be a tuning issue and without seeing the log file he couldn't help me. I understand his point but I sure wish they would publish more about how to do some basic tuning and what parameters I should be looking for in normal operation. That would at least make me feel a little better. More to come I fear.....

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
This is not good news, I hope you figure it out. This has me thinkn I may send the system back, I haven't taken it out of the box yet.

drock

Anyone else having these problems? I need to put some more miles on mine but reading all these issues has me not wanting to get too far from home.

bteutsch

Mine seems pretty solid now, I've had a few hiccups, but all seems well. I've put lots of miles on my in the last couple of weeks with no issues.. Running great.

Tiko433

Contributor
I know just enough to be dangerous
Loc.
South West Florida
Good to hear that Bteutsch..., so that's 1 out of how many that are not having issues ? Keep info coming guys . This is my next planned project for mine.

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well it happened again. But this time while trying to restart it I could hear my in tank pump going but no injectors. Then after sitting a while I could hear the injectors kick in and it fired up. So I think i'm down to an ECU issue. Calling FITech today to see what they say. Will keep everyone posted.

This sounds like the ECU cant handle the heat, isn't it mounted on the side of the T-body?

bteutsch

This sounds like the ECU cant handle the heat, isn't it mounted on the side of the T-body?

I believe the ECU is built to handle the heat. However its possible he has a bad part. Or even an intermittent power loss. They have good support and it will be covered under warranty.

I wouldn't be afraid to install the FITECH system again if I had another project to put one on.

OP
OP
jimschulz

jimschulz

Loc.
Eastern Washington
Update: I have put over 500 miles on since grounding the TB with a dedicated ground. I have had zero issues since the ground went in. I have alot more confidence in the system now. As for the performance...All I can say is its Amazing... I am getting 19MPG on the highway and the throttle response is crisp and the power solid. I will update if i do experience anymore issues, but right now I am satisfied with the Fitech and would also buy it again. I do think Fitech needs to put a dedicated ground in the harness, that would eliminate alot of headaches from the start.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Since your mileage is so good, post up your other stats. Height, tire size (and make and style), gear ratio, added or subtracted weight, etc.

Good data to compile for those looking for improved efficiency.

Thanks!

Paul

Jedeka

Contributor
I hope everyone is keeping FiTech informed of their problems and solutions. I agree that grounding at the carb stud is not an ideal place. Hopefully, they can make wiring harness change and run the ground to the battery or a better spot.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Update: I have put over 500 miles on since grounding the TB with a dedicated ground. I have had zero issues since the ground went in. I have alot more confidence in the system now. As for the performance...All I can say is its Amazing... I am getting 19MPG on the highway and the throttle response is crisp and the power solid. I will update if i do experience anymore issues, but right now I am satisfied with the Fitech and would also buy it again. I do think Fitech needs to put a dedicated ground in the harness, that would eliminate alot of headaches from the start.

Can you post some info on how you mounted it. Did you use the stock throttle linkage? Trans etc. I am planning on still going with the FiTech and I have an AOD and want to retain the stock bell crank linkage if possible. I know I have to buy an adapter to get the AOD linkage in the correct ratio but am wondering how much of a spacer will be needed to clear things. I was planning a 1/2" phenolic to help isolate heat as well.

pipermike

Good news Jim! Glad to hear it's running better, keep us posted on any feed back from FITech.

OP
OP
jimschulz

jimschulz

Loc.
Eastern Washington
I used all the factory linkage except for the carb link rod for which I made a new rod. I am running an NV3550 behind the 5.0 so no AOD on mine. I'll add some pics. As far as the specs on my bronco they are as follows:
1969 U15 Bronco origional bulkhead truck with bench seat
1996 5.0 Explorer motor
FiTech 600HP W/Power Adder
Derale electric shrouded fan
Champion 3 core reverse flow radiator
NV3550
D20
4.11 9" Rear and 4.09 D44 Front
BFG 33x12.5 on 15x8 M/T Sidebiter rims

Since the 5.0/FiTech upgrade I am getting as high as 19 MPG on the highway. I only run 2000 RPM at 60 MPH in 5th gear.

Attachments

• IMG_0536.jpg
    IMG_0536.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0537.jpg
    IMG_0537.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0543.jpg
    IMG_0543.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 126

drock

I will ground mine before my next drive. After a 45 min back roads cruise tonight (everything running great) I got a little too throttle happy and after chirping the tires at about 40 mph my engine died. I couldn't get it re-started after letting it sit. So after a tow strap ride home and a bit of frustration I will be adding a ground. My only indication was an erratic rpm indication while trying to re-start but I checked the tach wires and couldn't figure it out.

charlesawhite

When mine dies I have found letting the unit including the hand held completely shut down without attempting a restart. Seems to help things clear up faster.

drock

When mine dies I have found letting the unit including the hand held completely shut down without attempting a restart. Seems to help things clear up faster.

I let mine sit for over an hour while trying to re-start at different intervals then it got dark while I was still tinkering with it and I had to throw in the towel. I was getting fuel and the ecu was doing its initial "click" squirt of fuel so Im thinking its a tach coil wire signal issue. I will do some grounding and wire connection triple checking before I drive it again. Runs great otherwise.

68stang73

I just watched two videos one with fryberger. The Holley terminator didn't like a dual plane intake on this particular 5.3l chev. It was running like a misfire. Single plane worked great. Then there was a guy 3days ago that has a fitech unit in his mustang and you can see it cutting out on him as he drove it. I'm sure neither of what I'm telling you is the issues y'all are having but it does show that no two motors are the same and the system can get unhappy.