• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

are front disc breaks with 33's an absolute must?

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Let us not forget that even with a disk brake upgrade our lifted trucks still need more room for error when stopping. I.E. Do not think that just because you have disk brakes you will be able to stop on a dime every time. If you do then you are more likely to slide off the dime on your side instead.

meathead333

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Alexandria, VA
i have drums and 33's. i plan on using my rig for basically a daily driver. maybe some offroading now and then, but nothing extreme. my question, knowing i just use it for a daily driver, which would benifit me more? a brake booster or a disc set? also if i were to get a booster, can it still be used with the disc set if i uprage to that later on? my brakes are good right now, but id like to make it a bit safer, but i also dont have a money tree.

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
meathead333 said:
i have drums and 33's. i plan on using my rig for basically a daily driver. maybe some offroading now and then, but nothing extreme. my question, knowing i just use it for a daily driver, which would benifit me more? a brake booster or a disc set? also if i were to get a booster, can it still be used with the disc set if i uprage to that later on? my brakes are good right now, but id like to make it a bit safer, but i also dont have a money tree.
Me personally, I'd go discs first.Then the booster. I'm not as concerned how hard the pedal is to push. I'd rather have to push a pedal hard and have it stop sooner.It won't stop any faster with the booster it's just easier to push the pedal.

meathead333

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Alexandria, VA
ok, so maybe i was misinformed...the booster doesnt help stop you better, it just makes it easier to brake? and the disc brakes give you a faster, better brake? so if i were to get disc brakes, would i still have to push it to the floor to slow down unless i got a booster?? or how does it work? i was under the impression that the 2 dont work together.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
I ran drums with 33's until I had to make a panic stop from 60 MPH towing a small utility trailer, after I bought new underwear, I did the math and since the disc conversion was less than my insurance deductable, I did the conversion.

If it saves you from bumping a vehicle in front of you, even lightly, its paid for itself.