• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Are you new breed or dying breed?

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Seein alot of who where can I get this done threads? Seems like the "new breed" cant work on nothin! Not raggin on em just seems to me us "do it yaselfers" are a dying breed!

JMHO!

ugly74

Bronco abuser
I guess I'm of the dying breed. I've had wrenches in my hands since I could walk. I'm pretty damn good too, but I can also be a total dumbass still. :D
but even professionals used to be the ignorant dumbasses asking the dumb questions.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
well there are alot more people looking to have people work on there trucks but I think there are a few reason:
1. People have less time to work on them
2. people have some money again and would rather pay some one to fix things
3. less younger people have the skills. So many schools no longer have votech classes and being a grease monkey is not cool so unless it has a video game kids dont want to mess with it.

I am still a do it your self person but if I had more money I might pay someone to work on my bronco because I dont seem to have the time anymore!

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
dying breed here.......I don't work on my daily drivers but any hobby vehicle I will do my own tinkering/work.

apachetech

Loc.
Mountain Home, Idaho
I guess when it comes down to it, I would be considered a "new breed". Not because I can't but because I have little time to spend on a project with a wife and four children that are getting close to college age.

When I was in the Army, I was a crewchief on Apache and Blackhawk helicopters and I found no better pride than tearing it down to the frame inspecting everything and putting back together then going on the test flight afterwards. Nothing makes you want to do your best when you have to fly with the aircraft you worked on!!

I love old vehicles and I love the Bronco I have now, but I also realize that I am old enough to enjoy something without having a headache and being pissed because something didn't go right or wasn't fixed by what I did.

So if that makes me a "new breed" then so be it! :)

OP
OP
NYLES

NYLES

Bronco Guru
I guess when it comes down to it, I would be considered a "new breed". Not because I can't but because I have little time to spend on a project with a wife and four children that are getting close to college age.

When I was in the Army, I was a crewchief on Apache and Blackhawk helicopters and I found no better pride than tearing it down to the frame inspecting everything and putting back together then going on the test flight afterwards. Nothing makes you want to do your best when you have to fly with the aircraft you worked on!!

I love old vehicles and I love the Bronco I have now, but I also realize that I am old enough to enjoy something without having a headache and being pissed because something didn't go right or wasn't fixed by what I did.

So if that makes me a "new breed" then so be it! :)

Rotorhead.....haha me to!

Zillacon

Loc.
Hackin Away!
I can do pretty much any job I want on an EB. I use to wrench alot more in the past years but there is a time when you start to get burnt out a little and since my wife got out of school and we both have really good jobs it is nice just to sit back and treat yourself by buying parts versus fabricating them like I use too and start enjoying life more.

OP
OP
NYLES

NYLES

Bronco Guru
58's, hueys, blackhawks, chithooks...never was asigned an Apache but worked on em. 1/4 avn Ft carson, 2/7 Cav Ft Carson then reserve at Ft Rucker and a lil AL air gaurd.

Had a blast! Was a 67V but once you get moved around a 67 is a 67!

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
I breed awhile and dye awhile...I was razed by an old school mec. From the 50's and that jive was forced on me as a teenager. I wanted to work on dirt bikes and we clashed alot!! I wish I had half what he's forgot now.(he retired about 20yrs ago)
He also told me I was an Idiot for buying my first Bronco in 1978 and within 3 yrs he had one..;) and naw I did'nt call him and idiot back..I like to wrench now.It was just when I was forced to that I didn't care for it..:cool:

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
I work on mine just because I love to do it. I have two daughters that take up a huge amount of my time so the Bronco sits a lot more than it goes... A simple project may take me weeks or months to complete but I will do it myself just because I like to do it. I have owned this thing for over 16 years and pretty much done everything to it myself.... with the help of this forum.

Many of you may have noticed that I have posted questions about my Bronco a lot lately... Seems like I have worked on every corner. I am nearing the end of the only time of the year that I have a sigificant amount of time to work on it. So I have put a lot of hours into it in the last two months. In a couple of weeks I will start travelling pretty much every weekend with my daughter to some part of the country while she plays softball. It has paid off for her though (and me) she will be playing collegically for Ole Miss in two years and her education isnt going to cost me a dime... :).

My oldest daughter will be running track and cross country at USC Upstate starting in the fall. So I will be in the Carolinas a lot as well.

The Bronco will always be there when I am ready to work on it again.

Greg

turbotim2

I do pretty much all of my own work on my EB and our modern DD's as long as I have the tools or can acquire them easily. Not that I couldn't have someone else do the work, I just have a weird mental issue of paying someone to do something that I can do. I come by it honestly, my Dad does the same thing and taught me well!

asinor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tulsa, OK
Dying breed.

I bought my Bronco for 3 reasons.
1. To work on myself. I built my first car in my garage and I miss it.
2. For the Utility
3. They hold their value, as long as anything I do is done right, its worth more than I paid for it.

That being said, I don't do anything to my Daily driver myself besides change the oil and wash it, not that it needs a lot. There are also some things I don't have the ability or time to do myself, mainly body paint, some body work, so someone will get paid to do that.

OP
OP
NYLES

NYLES

Bronco Guru
I breed awhile and dye awhile...I was razed by an old school mec. From the 50's and that jive was forced on me as a teenager. I wanted to work on dirt bikes and we clashed alot!! I wish I had half what he's forgot now.(he retired about 20yrs ago)
He also told me I was an Idiot for buying my first Bronco in 1978 and within 3 yrs he had one..;) and naw I did'nt call him and idiot back..I like to wrench now.It was just when I was forced to that I didn't care for it..:cool:

My deal was go get the parts(paid by Dad)fix it yaself! you know the you broke it you fix it, but was surrounded by plenty of help. 77 F150 4x4

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
My deal was go get the parts(paid by Dad)fix it yaself! you know the you broke it you fix it, but was surrounded by plenty of help. 77 F150 4x4

Yep and on top all that we worked a few crops and some livestock and wasn't nothing like a car load of your friends riding by and hooying towards the shop at ya everday after school:p

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
For me, I would not be able to afford my Bronco, home, land, or toys if I had to pay for services. I can't imagen how much I would have to spend to take care of all the stuff I would need to care for.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
I guess I am a dying breed. Do everything to the Bronco and the other older trucks I have. My DD goes to the shop except for the simple stuff.

I too have a problem with paying someone to do something I am capable of doing. It can be frustrating at times, but wrenching is my relaxation. I can always tell when I have been a few days or a week away from it.

I also have trouble paying someone to do a crappy job at installing whatever part I spent good money on. I find that these days unless it is a newer vehicle that the shop can pull the factory service sheet on, none of them have a clue. Nothing worse than paying someone to do something only to have to redo it yourself when you get it home.

justjeff51

Loc.
Metropolis
I think I'm part of the dying breed. I'm training my son to fit into the dying breed arena. This way the dying breed never really dies out all the way..........

OP
OP
NYLES

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Yep and on top all that we worked a few crops and some livestock and wasn't nothing like a car load of your friends riding by and hooying towards the shop at ya everday after school:p

Yea them the same ones that find you when their crap is broke!