• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Are you new breed or dying breed?

stoker

I've owned and driven all types of vehicles for 30 years. (EB for 24 years) I've never paid a mechanic to work on my vehicles yet. Don't see why I should start paying someoone else to do stuff I can do myself. The only things I seldom do myself anymore is breaking down tires by hand and sometimes exhaust work.

SP66

Bronco Guru
I'm New Breed

But not proud. Wish I had the experience of growing up with a wrench turner, or the time and patience to learn. I do know I respect Bronco's, the Classic Bronco culture, and thoroughly enjoy looking at your work and skills. Looking through 22 page build threads are amazing to me. But I will drive my bought not built Bronco with pride because given the choice of buying another vehicle like a restored 67 Chevy Camaro or a 2012 new Jeep Wrangler, I'd much rather go visit the neighborhood cows and horses and get dinner with the wife and kids in my 66 Bronco.

OP
OP
NYLES

NYLES

Bronco Guru
But not proud. Wish I had the experience of growing up with a wrench turner, or the time and patience to learn. I do know I respect Bronco's, the Classic Bronco culture, and thoroughly enjoy looking at your work and skills. Looking through 22 page build threads are amazing to me. But I will drive my bought not built Bronco with pride because given the choice of buying another vehicle like a restored 67 Chevy Camaro or a 2012 new Jeep Wrangler, I'd much rather go visit the neighborhood cows and horses and get dinner with the wife and kids in my 66 Bronco.

bought not built...new breed fer sure! spareparts 100% oppisite nothin wrong we just comparin the two!

Lmfp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lake Charles, LA
I like to do as much work on the bronco myself as possible.. But when it comes down to it ill take a look and see if its worth me doing the job or bringing it some place (if its gonna cause me to get $1k worth of specialty tools i probably wont touch it.) I really like the since of pride from doing it your self. Ill be rebuilding my c4 in a couple weeks but as far as the motor im going crate (warranty gets me... Just cant beat the cost when it comes down to it). But thats my view on it.

hold24

Loc.
canton, Ga
I love to turn a wrench on my Hobby, but I have 3 kids and a demanding wife and not much time... I'm finding in the last couple of years my resto projects are really slowing down.... So I hire out on some things and leave the short easy jobs for me. :):):)

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
I still do do all the work on my EB, but on the wider Navigator, I have some one else do it, it has just too many electronics wish require expensive equipment to troubleshoot, and using them once ins a great while does not justify the expense. I do all the work on my 2001 Stang, it is still troubleshoot with my 100 dllr scanner. :cool:

bigcountry

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Dying breed. I work on just about everything around here and the extended families too it seems like. I do not tackle the electronic stuff, but everything else is fair game. I do let someone else change the oil in the wife's camery but only because even on drive up ramps I have a hard time getting under it and it is less aggravating to pay someone $10 bucks to do it.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Interesting hearing everyones opinions.

I think I will always be a do it your selfer. But With owning my own company now, 4 kids one less then a year old, and 5 cars I dont have the time like I did when I was single. I have and will always work on my broncos. The only things I have let someone else do is rebuild a C4 trans and put exhaust on both my broncos. I dont see how I can do much more than maintain and do minor upgrades on my broncos for a while.
Daily drivers I change the oil and do tune ups anything else I will take it to someone. I figure in the future I will have more time and be able to build a rig from the ground up again and also get back into wood carving.

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
I'm an Eagle Scout, so it was always drilled into me to be prepared for anything. Along with that, survival, self-reliance, hard work and the ability to adapt and survive, all are part of what my father drilled in me. He had a serious work ethic he passed to me, and he hated paying anyone to do something, when he could figure it out and do it himself.

So, I am a mix. I lean Old School. If I don't know how to do it, I want to learn how to. But, to me time and life are valuable, so sometimes I'd rather just pay someone else so I can do my thing. But I always want to know HOW they do it, in case I need to. I love to learn like that.

The Bronco, she is mine though. The exhaust guy is the only other person to work on it besides me!

Canadianbacon

Loc.
Alberta, Canada
i own and operate an oilfield service company. All of our tech has been designed and built in house. We farm out some of our fabrication just due to the size and tools required.

However with that said, i don't even change the oil on my work truck. I get the dealership to do it mainly for convenience and time.

I bought my EB to learn some of these things when i do have time. I hate golf, don't hunt, and never get to fish. The EB is my hobby so i don't mind putzing on it. Hell my Doc told me to get a hobby, and suggested an old classic.

mudstud

Contributor
Bronco Bonehead
Loc.
Excel
I do anything I have the tools for or can afford tools for. If it something special that requires an expensive special tool I will let someone else do it. So I guess that puts me in the dying breed.