• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Are you new breed or dying breed?

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ford tech since 88' so I do it all, I even have a paint booth in the shop at the new house.

Tedster100

Chairman of the Bored
I guess I'm old skool for the most part. I let the wife take her car to the lube stop place for oil changes just because it's such a mess and a pain. Everything else I try to do myself. I just can't bring myself to pay someone for something I could do myself, even if it saves me time and I love to fabricate and make my own parts so I do most all of my own work.

Seems the younger generation has a lot less interest in wrenching on things, partly because they are busy with facebook and video games and I'm guessing that most everything under the hood is so foreign that they don't want to try, I know I'm not real quick to dive into issues on a newer car without a computer and testing equipment. Keep it simple is a thing of the past for the auto manufacturers. Oh yea, I had to walk to school, uphill in the blinding snow!

I6bronco

I am a do it yourself kinda guy. I am only 16 and I really enjoy building and fixing my 1971 Ford Bronco.

bigpitbull

BRONCO ADDICT
Loc.
Saltillo, MS
I would say new breed. I have been around shops all my life and have a good basic knowledge but I was always too busy with sports in highschool and college to really get my hands dirty. Nowadays I have a very good friend that is a true dying breed that walks me through things I have trouble with. I'm slowly crossing over...

OP
OP
NYLES

NYLES

Bronco Guru
I am a do it yourself kinda guy. I am only 16 and I really enjoy building and fixing my 1971 Ford Bronco.

My kinda rookie! Welcome aboard...and tell ya moma you wanna go to OCBR!

armynavy17

Contributor
I'd say I'm old school, done all the work on mine with the help of you all and manuals. Working on things is my favorite thing to do to relax; anytime I fly home for leave or liberty I'm out in the garage wrenching. I disagree with saying the younger generation doesn't like working on things themselves, I'm only 19. Maybe I was just raised right, Dad worked on a ranch till a couple of years before my brother was born. He's worked in front of a computer since then but, he still likes to work with his hands. He helped my brother by a '68 FJ40 to fix up when he was 15 and helped me buy my bronco when I was 15 too. If he didn't know how to do something then we'd just check with a forum. It seems like the majority of "new school" threads I've seen are from the 25-35ish age range, I may be completely off though. I think the do it yourself mentality is coming back, and I think that's great.

armynavy17

Contributor
I should specify, I think the majority of "new school" treads are from people 25-35 years old who haven't really ever worked on things but like the look of older vehicles and want to get into the hobby. With the idea of doing it themselves in the future, of course.

Bronco_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Monette Ar
you cant build it all but I know what ya mean!

built the engine, tranny, rear axle, front axle, oem ford efi, pull a part disk brakes, floor pans, front and rear suspension, rebuilt the steering column, and more. i really cant think of anything that was prefabbed.

i would rather build it and learn what makes it all tick. i also like that fact that i can build it and buy the tools cheaper then i can pay to have it done. I bought the JD2 bender this week for a cage and bumpers. to make it more fun i will be making my own air over hydraulics coversion tomorrow :)

heck i am even redecking my pool and changing the liner myself so save the $$$. we are having a metal roof put on next week and i really want to do that myself.

OP
OP
NYLES

NYLES

Bronco Guru
built the engine, tranny, rear axle, front axle, oem ford efi, pull a part disk brakes, floor pans, front and rear suspension, rebuilt the steering column, and more. i really cant think of anything that was prefabbed.

i would rather build it and learn what makes it all tick. i also like that fact that i can build it and buy the tools cheaper then i can pay to have it done. I bought the JD2 bender this week for a cage and bumpers. to make it more fun i will be making my own air over hydraulics coversion tomorrow :)

heck i am even redecking my pool and changing the liner myself so save the $$$. we are having a metal roof put on next week and i really want to do that myself.

Start thinkin tailgates! I might even get us enough metal fer two!

Desert Dweller

Loc.
Central WA
Dying breed--- as soon as I was old enuff on the farm, my dad made me take over on the repairs. Grew up with the attitude of "With a torch and a stick welder, it'll be fixed"-- now it's a plasma cutter and a wire feed..;D Now, in retirement with a valve grinder in the engine room and a lathe I'm teaching myself how to use, life is good. And, I try to pass on the little knowledge I posses. Last weekend, showed a young EB owner how to assemble his 351W. Then ran it for 5 hours on the engine stand (have one of those now, too) to break it in and make sure it was not gonna destruct. Was a good feeling as he thanked me profusely while we loaded it up and he took off on a 3 hour drive taking it home. :cool:

Kyle.malone

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Norman, OK
I am a up an coming breed!! I didn't see that anywhere in your thread. I was taught by my grandpa back in the day and have learned everything else on my own with a lot of help on here.

OP
OP
NYLES

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Dying breed--- as soon as I was old enuff on the farm, my dad made me take over on the repairs. Grew up with the attitude of "With a torch and a stick welder, it'll be fixed"-- now it's a plasma cutter and a wire feed..;D Now, in retirement with a valve grinder in the engine room and a lathe I'm teaching myself how to use, life is good. And, I try to pass on the little knowledge I posses. Last weekend, showed a young EB owner how to assemble his 351W. Then ran it for 5 hours on the engine stand (have one of those now, too) to break it in and make sure it was not gonna destruct. Was a good feeling as he thanked me profusely while we loaded it up and he took off on a 3 hour drive taking it home. :cool:

I like this guy!

OP
OP
NYLES

NYLES

Bronco Guru
I am a up an coming breed!! I didn't see that anywhere in your thread. I was taught by my grandpa back in the day and have learned everything else on my own with a lot of help on here.

Your in the "bolt on special" group! I may just ride with you this year!