• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ATK crate motor question

N747JB

I am looking at an ATK engine as a replacement for my 74 302 that has valve/compression issues and wondered if anyone has any experience with them? Not a bad price, they have a 300 HP complete that I can get for $4200 or a stock motor for $2700. Looking for feedback, I don't want to pull the old one and send it out. It is street use only, probably take it and leave it at the beach for most of the year.
Thanks!

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I have an ATK 351W short block.
I bought it in.....1993??....round abouts.

I put on a Duff oil pan, high volume oil pump, and a Summit one piece oil pan seal, and have not given it a second thought. Been great!

Installed my own rebuilt/modified heads on their short block.

70_Steve

Old Guy
I bought an ATK 351W high performance long block (HP09) from them a couple years ago. $3k delivered to my driveway. It's been fine and can't beat the warranty. The only thing I wasn't completely pleased with is they are not very open about the specifics of the build. But, the engine runs great and overall I'm very happy.

Big One

Loc.
Bartlesville, Ok
It wasn't a ford, but I dropped one in my non numbers matching 69 vette about 4yrs ago. Very pleased with it. Bought through a friend that owns the local NAPA. It was one of there Hi performance engines. The specs were available on their web page.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
I haven't heard anything bad about them - been researching - I'm looking at the 300hp 302 and the 300hp 351w

Vincen

Contributor
The quoted me a complete HP79 with Fitech for under 4500. That is my plan next spring

tirewater

Loc.
San Francisco Bay Area
I got to do something soon myself. My 351 is a '70's and was rebuilt in'85. It getting pretty tired and I was looking at something similar to this.

Been looking at these as well

http://www.gearheadengines.com/?gclid=CODEuqCZzM8CFQ6TaQodkh0Gbw

From my research last year, many of the *stock* remanufactured engines sold by ATK, Gearhead, Autozone, OReilly's, etc, etc...appear to be built at the same facility in Mexico.

I don't know where the more performance oriented engines are built.

If you're spending the money for a performance engine, try to get as much information about the engine as possible. The stock reman engines may have different sized pistons up to .060 overbore which could lead to imbalances & cooling issues down the road.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
ATK also has a line of " Performance Engines " that are supposed to be built to better standards and they do list the specs on those.

AxlesUp

Loc.
Collierville TN
If you go here:

http://www.high-performance-engines.com/

find the engine you want and click on specs it will tell you a lot about the engine:

Horsepower: 300
Torque: 336 lb/ft
Block: Seasoned OE Roller Block
Bore/Stroke: 4.040 x 3.000
Displacement: 302 C.I.D.
Crankshaft: OE Ford Cast 3.000" Stroke 1 Piece Seal Externally Balanced 50oz.
Connecting Rods: OE Steel Rod 5.400" Stock Bolts
Pistons: Hypereutectic
Piston Rings: Moly Rings
Compression Ratio: 9.1:1 Compression
Camshaft: Hydraulic Roller
Camshaft Specifications: 219/219 @050 .498in/.498ex 112LSA
Camshaft Bearings: Installed & Clocked to OEM Position
Cylinder Heads: OE E5TE/E7TE 62cc 1.77/1.46
Freeze Plugs: Brass Installed & Sealed
Rocker Arms: Stamped Steel 1.6 Ratio
Oil Galley Plugs: Installed & Sealed
Oil Pan: OE 5qt. Front Sump
Weight:400

i've been looking at them for a while now. I keep tinkering with my old 351 when i should be buying a new one LoL

SHX669

Bronco Guru
I'm a low end torque kinda guy and was wondering about the cam in that setup. It looks faurly mild for a roller cam.

OP
OP
N747JB

N747JB

That's the one I ordered today, should be here in 10 days or so. I'll report back on how it works out. ;D

If you go here:

http://www.high-performance-engines.com/

find the engine you want and click on specs it will tell you a lot about the engine:

Horsepower: 300
Torque: 336 lb/ft
Block: Seasoned OE Roller Block
Bore/Stroke: 4.040 x 3.000
Displacement: 302 C.I.D.
Crankshaft: OE Ford Cast 3.000" Stroke 1 Piece Seal Externally Balanced 50oz.
Connecting Rods: OE Steel Rod 5.400" Stock Bolts
Pistons: Hypereutectic
Piston Rings: Moly Rings
Compression Ratio: 9.1:1 Compression
Camshaft: Hydraulic Roller
Camshaft Specifications: 219/219 @050 .498in/.498ex 112LSA
Camshaft Bearings: Installed & Clocked to OEM Position
Cylinder Heads: OE E5TE/E7TE 62cc 1.77/1.46
Freeze Plugs: Brass Installed & Sealed
Rocker Arms: Stamped Steel 1.6 Ratio
Oil Galley Plugs: Installed & Sealed
Oil Pan: OE 5qt. Front Sump
Weight:400

i've been looking at them for a while now. I keep tinkering with my old 351 when i should be buying a new one LoL

OP
OP
N747JB

N747JB

I'm a low end torque kinda guy and was wondering about the cam in that setup. It looks faurly mild for a roller cam.

Yeah, I don't think it's for pulling stumps, but for what I want it should be great!

gotdads68

I used to work for an import dealership that installed quite a few of the ATK engines, there were a few rare mechanical problems but the biggest thing for us was that the oil gaskets they provided didn't last long and we would end up with a comeback with a leak issue. We just got in the habit of putting factory gaskets in place of what they provided and had no issues.

Lmfp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lake Charles, LA
i have a 351w long block from them in my bronco. make sure you know parts theyre going to use. Camshaft/cylinder heads.