• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ATK engines

Jordanr5904

Loc.
Pensacola
Im just looking for now but i was wondering if anyone had and information or experience with the 302 crate from ATK? Looking for something that i can drop in and go.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I have been running an ATK 351 Windsor short block for 25 years.
Had to tear it down one day and found Clevite and TRW bearings and other quality parts.
It has served me well through all my iterations of this overall power plant.

Lmfp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lake Charles, LA
I have a longblock 351w from them. Its a roller motor with aluminum heads (estreets) aside from not liking the heads the motor is strong as heck.

BALCH-Autoworx

I've been looking at them too.

Lmfp, what's wrong with the heads? Not your head of choice, mismatched to the engine, or what?

Lmfp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lake Charles, LA
I've been looking at them too.

Lmfp, what's wrong with the heads? Not your head of choice, mismatched to the engine, or what?

They're known for having weak valve springs (like to break and drop valves). Thats not a big deal, the problem is the heads have to be machined for upgraded springs (atleast from what I've gathered) which is a big deal to me. Aside from that it puts power down. Ive manage a 2nd gear burnout with 33" tires and 3.50 gears, so some things right lol. Oh and I have 2.02" intake and 1.9" exhaust valves so thats a plus.

OP
OP
J

Jordanr5904

Loc.
Pensacola
OK thanks for the info because i was wanting to go with some Aluminum heads. I just didn't know if the Aluminum heads were better to go with than the iron heads. the local engine guy said that i will get better performance out of some edlebrock heads. any thoughts???

mark s

I'm running an ATK 351 with Edelbrock aluminum heads and am happy with my choice.

OP
OP
J

Jordanr5904

Loc.
Pensacola
ok thanks I am trying to go with a fully stock uncut rig but i am thinking of going with the 302 just to keep it original from atk

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
Pretty much any aftermarket aluminum head is going to perform better than stock iron head. You "can" get certain iron castings to flow really well. There are places like Power Heads than will do a CNC port job on E7 heads and get some pretty good numbers. But when you figure in machining costs and core charges you're pretty close to the cost of new aluminum heads that flow better and are ready to bolt on. Edelbrock, Trick Flow, and AFR are great choices. Even the Edelbrock E Street heads perform well for being relatively inexpensive. They just got a bad rep because a lot of racers were putting them on top of high rpm motors with crazy aggressive high lift cams and the valve train wasn't up to the task. Not really an issue for 95% of Bronco owners out there who are shooting for low to mid RPM torque from their motor builds

OP
OP
J

Jordanr5904

Loc.
Pensacola
now if i get the 351w it will bolt up to my factory tranny? i have read that all the engine mounts are good. i plan on doing a little body lift for clearance. any other mods i might have to make?

from what i read it looks like i will be alot happier with the 351w in the long run.

asinor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tulsa, OK
now if i get the 351w it will bolt up to my factory tranny? i have read that all the engine mounts are good. i plan on doing a little body lift for clearance. any other mods i might have to make?

from what i read it looks like i will be alot happier with the 351w in the long run.

Yes, everything will bolt right up, it is physically the same size with a taller deck height. You will need adapters for the alternator and ps pump if you have one.

You may have hood clearance issues without low profile intake and air cleaner.

OP
OP
J

Jordanr5904

Loc.
Pensacola
yeah i am just doing to comparison to rebuild an old 351 or to find a rebuilt turkey because it seems like they are about the same price.

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
I bought one of their turn key crate motors a couple years ago (see build photo link). Mine came with a Weiand intake, Edlebrock carb, and MSD distributor. The hood clearance was minimal and I have to run a very thin filter to make it fit without a body lift. I see now that they are selling them with Holleys, which I would prefer, but still assume a tight fit. I obviously had to swap out the oil pan, pick up tube, and dip stick. Actually, I just removed the the tube on the front of the motor that came with it and used the one in the pan. The only big issue I had with it was they sent me the wrong weight fly wheel which I didn't figure out until I had it all bolted in and discovered the vibration from hell. After talking with them they figured out the mistake and sent me the right part, but I still had to pull the motor and swap it out and replace it. The engine runs strong and for the price it is good IMO.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I will say I bought a Toyota motor from them and had an engine issue. They honored their warrenty and made things right. I would not hesitate to deal with them again.

markperry

Bronco Guru
I've got 50,000 miles on my 351, and I paid 695.00 delivered to my door in two days....love mine!