• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ATK engines ?

behemoth

Bronco Guru
Does anyone have any good or bad experiences with this company?

We know have the i6 out and the frame horns in and we are starting to look for a rebuilt engine.

Yellow75

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sioux Falls, SD
I'm pretty sure mine was a crate motor from them. The P.O. did it.. Heads are rebuilt stock ones from somewhere else though.. Decent power and doesn't take a drop of oil after 40,000 miles.. Seems ok to me..

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D I would recommend finding a good machine shop and have the machine work done and do the rest your self and then you can set it up the way you want cam ect. good luck. I dont like kit motors a lot of the junk is not from this country. Just my thoughts.:p :p :p Bill :cool: %) :p

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
My buddy has an ATK motor in his 67 stang. I think he's hit almost 50K and still running well with no problems. Another quality place to concider is the link below. Or if you have some cash the second link. Its always best to find a good local machine shop if your looking to do a quality rebuild or hop up. But if you are looking to go the crate route these are the two i would suggest.

http://www.ford-motors-engines.com/contactus.html

On this link look under truck engines. These guys are quite familiar with EB's
http://www.fordcobraengines.com/
http://www.fordcobraengines.com/Truckpackages.htm
http://www.fordcobraengines.com/Broncoenginecodes.htm

OP
OP
behemoth

behemoth

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the information, I have tried the local route to get an engine rebuilt and they have quoted me $3200.00 each time. I am not looking for anything hotter than stock, so these prices are a little high to me. If we were to do anything to the engine we would like it balanced and a cam for a little low end help. ATK quoted me 1500 for a reman with tins, I asked if they were bronco specific and I was told they were. I doubt it but hey who knows.

Still checking on our options, but with the local rebuild costs = to a crate motor I need to find another less expensive route. I am also in California so if i put an 03 crate motor in it I would then have to meet 03 smog if they were to find out.

U

Unregistered

Bill what year is the Bronco, I do not think you have to meet engine year smog laws if the vehicle is smog exempt.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D That price is way out in left field unless they are doing everthing come get the bronco and bring it back new motor and paint . Just put's my grandsons motor in the machine shop the machine work valves and parts were 1000.00 we do all the assy. work. Thats everthing but the carb. (351C 4V 1970 ) I would think a 6 would be less.:p :p :p Bill :cool: %) :p

OP
OP
behemoth

behemoth

Bronco Guru
These shops that quoted me the $3200.00 for the rebuild came recomended to me. I have contacted some more and the range locally is $2500.00- $3500.00 for your basic rebuild. I will look outside of San Diego as I think they are all a little unreasonable here. Or at least the ones I have spoken with are. These prices were for an assembled long block. I have thought about doing the assembly ourselves, we will see. This price includes the core that I do not have, as we are doing the conversion from the i6 to the V8.

Yes the 71 is smog exempt here, but the smog law as it was explained to me is that if I put a 92 engine in my 71 ( and tell them ) then I would have to meet 92 smog. This sounds rediculous, but I have heard it explained this way many times.

Any suggestions for machine shops in the so cal area ?

67EB_in_619

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego
Engine is in that bad of shape huh??? Call me.. we can work that out. I thought you said it only needed a valve job?

You are mixed up on the smog laws.... If you are currently required to smog your vehicle, you can swap engines as long as the new engine meets or exceeds your original emissions criteria... the criteria comes NOT from the engine.. but from the vehicle....

you CAN do a EFI swap as long as you meet the emissions guidelines for a 72 (since you have a 72)... which in your case is exempt anyway... so it doenst really matter.

If you have an 85 Bronco.. and you want to swap engines or EFI or something... you can do whatever as long as the car still meets the emissions guidelines of the original 85 vehicle and you have all the necessary emissions control devices attached and verified as working (referee station).... but since you have a 72.. you need not worry... you can put whatever motor (old/new 302/351/etc) you want in there that will fit.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D Its been a long time since I had any work done out there but Hy Tech Engineering in highland ca. did some nice work for me but that was meney years ago. Also one in riverside ca. Wayne's they did some nice machine work for me good luck to you.:p :p :p Bill %) %) %)

OP
OP
behemoth

behemoth

Bronco Guru
Matt,
The 289 was sold, the kid wanted a 302. My friend who turned his into a submarine at glamis needed an engine to get his back on the road so I sold it to him. No problem here, we now have a little time so I thought I would shop around again for rebuilders and prices.

I will look in to some more rebuilders to see what options we have. At 1500.00 shipped to my door with pan, valvecovers and timing cover it is looking like ATK is going to be tought to beat. 3 yr unlimited miles is there warrantee.

Thanks to all.

Howdy

Loc.
Folsom, Ca
Have you checked out DSS or CHP to see what those prices are for a long block? I have heard good things about Central Coast mustang. I think thats the name. I saw thier ad in 5.0 magazine today and I could have sworn they had a 302 rollerblock with GT40 heads that put out 300hp for a little over $1800.

Howdy

Loc.
Folsom, Ca
OK...forget about DSS racing and CHP. I was looking at their websites and the prices for their short blocks aren't too bad, but the long blocks are way too much for what you want to spend.

I can't find the web site for Central Coast Mustang(CCM), but here is a blurb from a tech article in 5.0 mustangs and superfords magazine explaining what I was talking about above about CCM.

"Several variations of the assembled short- and long-blocks are offered, including a $1,895 version built using a new block, a new Ford crankshaft, new Ford connecting rods, new hypereutectic pistons, and new GT-40P heads. This combo arrives at what is essentially an all-new ’93 GT-40 engine fitted with either a B303 or an E303 cam. CCM rates this engine at 320 hp, which can vary some depending on whether it is dressed with carburetion or fuel injection, of course"

Here is a link to that article: http://www.50mustangandsuperfords.com/techarticles/86598/

OP
OP
behemoth

behemoth

Bronco Guru
Well,
I called around and ATK still had the best price and the simplest to deal with. This arrived at my garage today. It was there crate motor with tins, I asked if they were bronco specific and was told yes. No big suprise when they were not. Simple fix anyway.

Attachments

• 2004_0713_161919aa.jpg
    2004_0713_161919aa.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 196

Howdy

Loc.
Folsom, Ca
Is that a roller motor?

Do they come balanced or is that extra?

Any extra HP or is basically the stock 130 to 150hp?

OP
OP
behemoth

behemoth

Bronco Guru
The previous link is not the site I purchased from. I purchased from http://www.atkengines.com/

1-800-421-3746

Ask for Jerry at ext 311.

I contacted him today about the damaged crate, nothing serious, just needed to know if I should keep it and repair it for the core return. I do not need to keep it. I also informed him that the bronco has a different timing cover and oil pan than what came on the engine. He was not aware of these differences. I was not complaining, just giving him a heads up. He is going to help me out since I paid a little more for the tinware.

Very concerned and consious customer service to date.