• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Automatic to Manual Transmission

lcarter3177

Has anybody completed this project? What is involved? I have a 1975 with a C4 automatic and would like to consider going to a manual.

BRONCOchild

Bronco Guru
Ehh...I drive an automatic and find it easier to cruise in it. Plus with slow and go traffic in So. Cal, I'd probably stall it every 5-minutes. Just my opinion.

edmedlin

Loc.
Republic Missouri
When I was younger I always had manuals. Now it isn't a big deal. The C4 is one of those autos that just keeps going. If you don't run it dry or too hot, it just keeps on going. It just works. If it starts slipping between 2nd and 3rd, check the kick-down bar spring......that'll fix it. It's just the way it is. I like simple. :)

OP
OP
L

lcarter3177

Thanks for the posts, but I am really more interested in what is involved with the conversion, not whether to drive an automatic vs. manual. Anybody ever completed a project like this?

stlo

Bronco Guru
Loc.
tulsa
Which standard are you wanting?..... I'm considering going from Stan. To auto just to change it up

stlo

Bronco Guru
Loc.
tulsa
Should have said what Stan. Trans do I want because all of them require different pieces to complete but none of them are that hard to do but u need to pick a tranny first

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I replaced the C4 in our '77 with a NV3550.
The kit from Advanced Adapters is pretty complete for a manual to manual swap, but you'll need a bunch more stuff to switch from an auto to manual.
I was able to come up with the bell housing, Z-bar, pedal assembly, and starter dowel plate from ebay. I bought a mini starter from Wild Horses, and the pressure plate & flywheel from Summit. I made my own clutch rod and adjuster linkage with all thread and heim joints from Fastenal.
It's pretty easy to assemble the clutch pedals and linkage. In fact, there is a knockout in the floor board that isn't removed when the car comes with an auto tranny. You just need to knock it out and install the grommet. The frame is already drilled and tapped for the Z-bar bracket.

I know you were only asking about the installation and not the function of the swap, but mine works better than I had hoped.
I bought this car new and no matter what I did to it, the "off the line" performance felt poopy. I blame it on the extremely high 1st & 2nd gears in the C4. This setup feels much peppier than before. Also a bit more "truck like" than with the C4.

If you go this route, you can unload the parts pretty easily. I cleaned and packaged all the parts and fasteners needed for the C4 along with the steering column. Word got out before I could post an ad. There were several people wanting it. I got enough out of it to buy a new IDIDIT steering column.;)

bannind

The other question that might be thrown out there is where are you located? If you were in my area, I would offer to swap my 3 speed for trade. I would love to move to an automatic, even if it is the stock C4.

markatherton

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
transmission

I have everything necessary to do that swap at my shop in San Diego. Beach City Broncos. 619 997-9954

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
The 3550 is a great trens for mostly street driving
And not bad on the trail
First is 25% lower than a stock 3 speed

Same as swapping from 4.11 axles to 5.13
Plus you have 5th on the highway

If you were near Atlanta I'd invite you over to test drive mine

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Sell the C4 to someone and take the old 3-speed parts as part trade. Everything that is different between them is what you need. You need the pedal, linkage, pivots, bellhouseing, etc. Value can be adjusted based on condition of the wear parts. You need everything except the transmission and shift linkage. Get the NV3550 kit and mix that in. Put all the parts in and you have it.

Trying to pick up each part one at a time will nickel and dime you to death. You can also contact one of the venders and tell them what you are doing and let them make you a package deal. Places like Driven Auto Parts have a collection of all the little brackets and replacement wear parts to get everything put together.

brewchief

Sell the C4 to someone and take the old 3-speed parts as part trade. Everything that is different between them is what you need. You need the pedal, linkage, pivots, bellhouseing, etc. Value can be adjusted based on condition of the wear parts. You need everything except the transmission and shift linkage. Get the NV3550 kit and mix that in. Put all the parts in and you have it.

Trying to pick up each part one at a time will nickel and dime you to death. You can also contact one of the venders and tell them what you are doing and let them make you a package deal. Places like Driven Auto Parts have a collection of all the little brackets and replacement wear parts to get everything put together.

This is great advice, when I went to a np435 I think was close to 1400$-1500$ in misc parts to install a 50$ trans, that will all come out soon to go back to an auto(C-6 this go around).