• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Automatic transmission problem

Me2carcrazy1

Drove Bronco yesterday with no problems. Parked it. Today engine started fine in Park but when I put it in R nothing happened. Shifted it to 2, then 1, then back to R, and nothing happened. Shifter went smoothly through all of them with no clunks or any of the usual engaging sound at all between them. Moved shifter back to Park and got loud screeching grating noise. Immediately put it in Nuetral, noise stopped. Went back to Park, loud noise again. Turned it off. Started it gain in Nuetral. Fine. Put it in Park loud noise again but move shifter to other gears no noise.

I had the transmission flushed/clean a few weeks ago. They adjusted the NSS and said all was good. I checked the fluid just now and it is full.

Any ideas on what the issue might be with the tranny?

Trans problem

Sounds like transfer case could be in neutral , or rear end failure . Put in park with engine not running then see if vehicle will roll (not hold in park) .

OP
OP
Me2carcrazy1

Me2carcrazy1

I put it in 4L, and then in Reverse. It went but chirped the tires. I put it in Drive and it chirped forward. Not the usual shift feel at all. Turned it off and tried to put it in 4H but won't go. Took some effort to get it into 4L again. Same happens with it, moves but chirps tires.

Appreciate your help.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Put the transfer case back in gear.
Pretty common. Shifter got bumped (transfer case shifter)

Loud screeching when you went back to park, the parking pawl bouncing off the teeth. Didn't hurt it, they are engineered for an occasional mistake like that.

OP
OP
Me2carcrazy1

Me2carcrazy1

SilverRanger, thanks for your help. My son apparently was in the Bronco and accidentally knocked it into nuetral. I got it back into 4H and it drives like usual.
Owe you one!

OP
OP
Me2carcrazy1

Me2carcrazy1

Broncobowsher, Thank you too for the info. The loud shrieking gave me a scare. Good to know nothing got hurt but my ears...

Those j shifters for transfer case can be sloppy , might want to make sure spring is in place at bottom of shifter . Helps shifter work much better . Nice looking Bronco you have .