• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Axel swap from 2022 Gladiator

Firemanjay

Loc.
Bakersfield
Good afternoon I was giving a set of front and back axels from a 2022 Gladiator Dana 44 with E-lockers. I was wondering if anyone had any information regarding this swap. I know i will need to remove the 4 link attachments in the rear and add rear hangers plus shock mounts. In the front it will require cups for shocks track bar bracket, and a few other things. The axels measure 64 1/4" outside to outside of calipers. Thanks

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Good afternoon I was giving a set of front and back axels from a 2022 Gladiator Dana 44 with E-lockers. I was wondering if anyone had any information regarding this swap. I know i will need to remove the 4 link attachments in the rear and add rear hangers plus shock mounts. In the front it will require cups for shocks track bar bracket, and a few other things. The axels measure 64 1/4" outside to outside of calipers. Thanks
Oh wow!

Do you have a 97-06 Wrangler that needs some axles? Or are you thinking of upgrading a Samurai?

Everything about the 2022 JL M216 axles is WORSE than properly upgraded Early Bronco axles. Here's a couple of things to think about.

1. Tissue paper axle tubes.
2. Passenger side Axle disconnects.
3. Unit Bearings.
4. Locking hubs.
5. 5x5 lug pattern.

The Early Bronco is a tough SUV built on a 1/2 ton truck platform.
The Gladiator is a weak pickup built on a 1/4 ton SUV platform.

Here's a pic of what happens when you actually use a JK. (It starts to look like the New Bronco...) tee hee hee.

Attachments

• axle_jeep.jpg
    axle_jeep.jpg
    338.4 KB · Views: 47
  • Axle_tube.jpg
    Axle_tube.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 47

BruiserOutdoors

Oh wow!

Do you have a 97-06 Wrangler that needs some axles? Or are you thinking of upgrading a Samurai?

Everything about the 2022 JL M216 axles is WORSE than properly upgraded Early Bronco axles. Here's a couple of things to think about.

1. Tissue paper axle tubes.
2. Passenger side Axle disconnects.
3. Unit Bearings.
4. Locking hubs.
5. 5x5 lug pattern.

The Early Bronco is a tough SUV built on a 1/2 ton truck platform.
The Gladiator is a weak pickup built on a 1/4 ton SUV platform.

Here's a pic of what happens when you actually use a JK. (It starts to look like the New Bronco...) tee hee hee.
this is surprising to read as I've seen many people throw 39's on a stock lifted gladiator (dirt lifestyle on youtube, for example). What am I missing?

I know just because it can be done doesn't mean it should and doesn't mean it will last but I haven't heard of complaints yet.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
this is surprising to read as I've seen many people throw 39's on a stock lifted gladiator (dirt lifestyle on youtube, for example). What am I missing?

I know just because it can be done doesn't mean it should and doesn't mean it will last but I haven't heard of complaints yet.
That is an awesome observation.

You will notice that he did truss the tubes, and added gears to a fairly anemic boulevard wheeler.

I am often surprised at the number of people that tell me that 28 spline rear axles are fine, and that the Dana 30 can hold up under 35's. Maybe I'm not the best person to comment, since I usually only see them when they are broken.

BanditBronco

@jamesroney you have unit bearings on your list of bad, considering everyone swapping to 1 tons is going 05+ with unit bearings, as well as the high-quality aftermarket. I would like to know why you think they are bad?

BruiserOutdoors

That is an awesome observation.

You will notice that he did truss the tubes, and added gears to a fairly anemic boulevard wheeler.

I am often surprised at the number of people that tell me that 28 spline rear axles are fine, and that the Dana 30 can hold up under 35's. Maybe I'm not the best person to comment, since I usually only see them when they are broken.
I only watched one video of his wifes gladiator in the snow, so frankly i didnt know what he had done to the whole rig. I assumed just a lift. I agree 28 splines are not sufficient but also have zero experience to base that off of. Still learning!