• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Axle and spider gears, school me.

Bulletman

So last weekend I pushed the skinny pedal too hard on my 74. I have a limited slip rear end. I broke both spider gears and both axle gears. I got it tore apart this afternoon and monday will be searching for new gears. Should I call Ford or be looking at aftermarket parts? I have the tag off the axle, will that get me to the part numbers needed? The gears themselves are not stamped with numbers.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Do they look like this?

The 2 pinion trac-lock's are not all that strong off road. You have to be real careful to not let only one tire spin too much then grab traction quickly. You might consider looking for a 4 pinion unit or something even better.

Attachments

• Bronco 377.jpg
    Bronco 377.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 21
  • Bronco 378.jpg
    Bronco 378.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 22
  • Bronco 379.jpg
    Bronco 379.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 25

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Currie enterprises sells new spider and side gears and thrust bearings. Doubt ford will have anything even if they do it will cost you more. For what its worth you have probably stressed the clutch cover and it will probably break next. . Its very common to blow out the clutch covers. I got a billet steel one from currie but I dont know if they still sell them anymore.
also broncos got 2 pinion units they are pretty weak I would find a 4pinion unit it will be much stronger sually find them in pickups and vans.

OP
OP
B

Bulletman

Viper mine looks exactly like yours, Broncnaz thanks for pointing me to Currie. Visually I can see no other damage but I am sure it will break again, the PLAN it to get it back on the road as I need it and upgrade in the near future.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
A lot of vans had 28 spline carriers just like the bronco so if your looking for a 4 pinion replacement I'd look at vans closely. Here's a few pics of the trac loks I've busted. first one is a clutch cover next one broke the whole diff third member and all but the billet steel cltuch cover survived.

Attachments

• broke trac lok.jpg
    broke trac lok.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 20
  • broke.jpg
    broke.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 31

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If you blow a carrier that bad, replace the housing as well. You could have splayed the bearing caps with that kind of boom.

Since the shafts and diff are all dead now, look at going up to 31 spline axles.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
yeah that housing was toast both bearing caps broke as well. It broke idling up a hill. limped it about 15 miles back home using the front axle. I did reuse the gears and billet clutch cover but used a 4 pinion unit out of a van for the rebuild. Still have 28 spline shafts tho as I got a smoking deal on a set of currie 28 spline shafts.

OP
OP
B

Bulletman

Mine broke nowhere near that badly, and I didn't drive it but 30 feet to the shade where I tore it down.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
While yours didnt gernade like mine it broke more badly than you think the pressure of the spider/sidegears braking has stressed the clutch cover. Usually one tooth will start the breakage. then that tooth jams between the gears and is what causes the others to break when they jam together that stresses the rest of the case.
Just look at your clutch cover real close. If you notice the area in the first pic thats where 90% of all trac loks break. The breakage in my second pic is most likely from stress recieved when the first clutch cover broke.

OP
OP
B

Bulletman

I will check it out more closely. You've about convinced me to put an open carrier in it until I can upgrade :)

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:cool::cool::cool:If you are going to repair it you should go to a machine shop and have it drilled for 4 spider gears. Best would to get a d/locker good luck with your choice.;D;D;D Bill :cool:;D%)

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I will check it out more closely. You've about convinced me to put an open carrier in it until I can upgrade :)

I would prefer an open diff over a Traclok...at least you know it will get you home. I blew up the case cover on a 31-spline 4-pinion Traclok and had to gimp it home in front-wheel drive. Thankfully there weren't too many difficult obstacles between me and the highway, however what seemed easy in 4WD suddenly got a lot harder without the rear axle to help.