• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Back from paint the fun begins

OP
OP
T

txhawkeye

Thank you for the info.

The more you show me the more questions I have ;)

Only 2 more...

1. Do you use a spray adhesive to apply that insulation down to the Noico or does it just lay over the top?

2. The Real question... with dynamat strips+160mils of Noico deadener+Insulation+carpet = quite a bit of thickness...Can the floor hold down strips handle that extra thickness?

I am going to use adhesive. I haven’t ordered the carpet strips yet I am crossing my fingers but am prepped that I may have some challenges there. I will update as I go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
I am going to use adhesive. I haven’t ordered the carpet strips yet I am crossing my fingers but am prepped that I may have some challenges there. I will update as I go.

I used two layers of the same padding that you have. It was thick enough on the wheel wells to cause some problems with the precut carpet for the rear floor. I narrowed the floor section around the wells and had it rebound.

If you get the “good” carpet strips for the door opening, with the edge turned down, it will cover the padding. Some of the strips have the edges rolled under instead of turning down. At the tailgate, I just tapered the padding.

e76d631973842439d48f53dde4171f3f.jpg

9968de0385458fea762eff6965395341.jpg

425d813d0d6d79c786d9c165540a3728.jpg

Last edited:

Audifan

Contributor
I used two layers of the same padding that you have. It was thick enough on the wheel wells to cause some problems with the precut carpet for the rear floor. I narrowed the floor section around the wells and had it rebound.

If you get the “good” carpet strips for the door opening, with the edge turned down, it will cover the padding. Some of the strips have the edges rolled under instead of turning down. At the tailgate, I just tapered the padding.

e76d631973842439d48f53dde4171f3f.jpg

9968de0385458fea762eff6965395341.jpg

425d813d0d6d79c786d9c165540a3728.jpg

Good to know thanks.

Did you use TBP premium carpet or the 5 piece Essex stuff?

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Good to know thanks.

Did you use TBP premium carpet or the 5 piece Essex stuff?

It’s ACC Essex ordered thru BroncoHut. Much better price than ordering direct. I got the carpet door strips from Toms. The BroncoHut strips were the type with the edges rolled under. Toms is also notched out to fit the footwells. Some of the others are not.

68Broncoz

Contributor
I was wondering if you have a sequence to put it together. After paint on mine I was thinking the following:
Interior like you are doing
Dash
Engine
Steering
Brakes

Any thoughts or consideration on those that have done it before?

Chris

OP
OP
T

txhawkeye

A little progress have all of the sound deadened in place time to start on the insulation. Hope to start wiring tomorrow....
e878dd2d29b0f0197f63c1cf35b20a5f.jpg
4ec764cfa6a09ee16a202a0930d09ca5.jpg
2bf876abdc90c3098221386c9b303a1a.jpg
e9717cc625d2936db8cb49ba5cc518b4.jpg

OP
OP
T

txhawkeye

Installed the Vintage Air front runner system today. Pretty smooth ran into a few problems though. My harmonic balancer was too big in diameter, and I didn’t have the right tool to install the pulley on the power steering pump. Will order thwarts tomorrow and hope to get the motor dropped in by Thursday. So I can uncover the next set of problems...
d3420e878b9a65890d71ca8d3dc79ddc.jpg
3cdc7b8607ee95017673831448511a67.jpg

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
Looks great! I used the same insulation w/ the strips and it made a huge difference. the mistake I made was not marking the holes from seats, roll cage, etc before installing the dynamat. Also, it was a major issue to drill through.

OP
OP
T

txhawkeye

Finally have the power steering installed, I cut the steering shaft and column and added the later model bearing. I ordered the telescopic shaft and steering box from Borgeson. I replaced the column shift with the smooth shift collar, I am going from manual to automatic and replaced the upper bearing in the column and bought a new steering wheel. The pump is from Vintage air. I hope it all works...
0c8d3750861e0ee364d103c0635b4ffa.jpg
1c85f8891ce5ba0b61c73e5e1847b6af.jpg

f784e62b36e4064fe6e36000ce6d426c.jpg
6e9d2e1121ae09b082b8825ee59c790c.jpg

OP
OP
T

txhawkeye

Looks great! I used the same insulation w/ the strips and it made a huge difference. the mistake I made was not marking the holes from seats, roll cage, etc before installing the dynamat. Also, it was a major issue to drill through.

Yes it has been a PITA to drill through.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Installed the Vintage Air front runner system today...
...My harmonic balancer was too big in diameter...

That's a pretty slick system. But are you sure it was your damper that was too big and not that the pump pulley is too big instead?
That water pump pulley sure looks big!

Do they have a special damper to fit their kit? Or do they offer a smaller diameter water pump pulley perhaps? Seems like it's designed to be an underdrive system to slow down the water pump and not use so much power. Great for some engines, but not for every one.

Just curious. Haven't looked at their setup in a long time. But it sure looks sweet.

Paul

OP
OP
T

txhawkeye

That's a pretty slick system. But are you sure it was your damper that was too big and not that the pump pulley is too big instead?
That water pump pulley sure looks big!

Do they have a special damper to fit their kit? Or do they offer a smaller diameter water pump pulley perhaps? Seems like it's designed to be an underdrive system to slow down the water pump and not use so much power. Great for some engines, but not for every one.

Just curious. Haven't looked at their setup in a long time. But it sure looks sweet.

Paul

Now that you say that it does look big, I hope it performs the way I expect, it is going to be a daily driver for my daughter. The balancer is 6.5 inches and it was hitting the bottom of the water pump by a fraction you could almost slide a piece of paper between the two. I called tech support they advised to file the portion of the pump it was hitting. So I did that and it works fine now with enough clearance. I could go with a smaller balancer but this seems ok.

Audifan

Contributor

So, curious if you finished the interior yet? Did the carpet hold down strips work ok after all that insulation, padding, carpet and what not?

OP
OP
T

txhawkeye

So, curious if you finished the interior yet? Did the carpet hold down strips work ok after all that insulation, padding, carpet and what not?

I have not I am curious as well I hope it works, I am going to order the hold downs from TBP this week, I am about two weeks out from putting the rest of the interior in.