• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bad experience with local shop

Mike C

Loc.
Sacramento, CA
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I usually don't like to bash vendors, but I thought you all might be interested in this.

Recently I bought a set of rear axles from mtnbronco. I brought them home had new bearings put on them. Bought the bearings at NAPA and had them put on at Specialized 4x4. Great price on the labor, but they are located on the other side of the city from me. I looked into having S&H do it because they are much closer, but $30 bucks an axle seemed a bit much.

Well when I got the spare axles home there were some questions of correct lengths. So I decided to pull the primary axles out and verify. When I pulled the first one out the bearing was cracked and the second one the seal on the bearing was bad. Being a Saturday, and getting closer to my trip a wanted to get this taking care of quickly. S&H was open, and even though I knew they would be more expensive, I took them in because it would be much easier for me to pick them up after work in that part of town.

The price at S&H for pressing on these bearings had now become $60 an axle.
And since they did not have the bearings in stock would call me Monday with the full price. So in the interest of convenience, and they do have a reputation for doing good work, I left them there to be done.

Monday rolls around and here's where the fun begins. Part-way through my workday I decided to call because I had not heard from the shop. When I get through I was imedietly jumped on for not promptly returning a call and message that morning from the shop, which I never got. I was then told the cost for the work would be $280. Because the bearings were $100 each. With tax would put the cost over $300. A set of new axles with bearings and retainers from WH is almost that much.

I told him this must be wrong because I just bought bearings for the same application at a fraction of that price. I was told " That we only use good parts, and the price of steel has doubled, that you could thank President Bush for that, and that there are cheaper bearings if you want to use Chinese or Tawanise steel, but not at his shop.That $100 was Jobber price on those and I was getting a good deal. And that I needed to make my decision quickly because he was very busy."
(Timkin Bearings by the way)

Will I told him No Thank You, I picked up my axles that day after work and drove them across the city to Specilized 4x4 and once again dropped them off. The next day I picked them with the SAME "$100 bearings" installed for 1/3 of what S&H wanted. The bearings weren't $100 by the way.

I don't mind the fact that S&H may charge a little more, but I feel in this case was ridicules. But the flat out LIES and dishonesty by that business were unacceptable and I will never spend a single cent in that shop again.

I will however continue patronage Specialized 4x4.
It's so hard to find a good mechanic these days.

A side note: I got to watch one set being done so I will be buying a press and pressing my own bearings next time.

adunham

Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
I own I metal fab shop, and while the price of steel has gone up about 70% in recent history, that news is about two years old. Its amusing that people are still using that excuse. Its not exactly a lie, but its not exactly current either, as most everyone by now has adjusted to the new levels. That conversation sounds gougy to me. On top of that, I can't stand the hard sell - an extremely poor business practice.

ManTruck

Bronco Guru
I just put new bearings on my big bearing rear end. BCA bearings, USA, $19.00 plus some tax. I did the install my self. Buy yourself some tools when you can.

I guess you know who you will be spending your future dollars with.

brixter

Loc.
Tuolumne CA
jeez , why didnt you just have Napa press the bearings on for you ? They will do it for free when you buy the bearings ??

airman

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I love it. Now the president is responsible for the price of steel AND Bronco bearings but only the "good ones".

I think I bought a bearing kit from JBG for 30 or something. I bought used axles from Complete offroad with good backing plates for 30.00 each too and for 10 each he will pull the bearings. He also sells bearing and will install them before they ship too.

I pressed and mounted them myself for the experience. That and I wanted to really clean up the seal groove that they all have while the bearings were off.