• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ball joint tool

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Anybody have any experience with those ball joint tool kits in the red case? I have some front end work to do and was thinking of buying one. Just looking for some reviews.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Anybody have any experience with those ball joint tool kits in the red case? I have some front end work to do and was thinking of buying one. Just looking for some reviews.

Go to autozone or advanced and rent one. They charge you for it when you do and then do a 100% refund when you return it. I.E. Free rental. They do work and if you need to keep one on hand then they are a decent setup. We actually have one we rented a couple of years ago and just never bothered to return. Too many times we have needed it on a weekend out on the trails.

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
I bought this set through amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/Ball-Joint-Se...60?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1183933378&sr=8-1
I didn't realize it when I ordered it but it came with a picklefork set also. I used it to install new ball joints in my knuckles. It works well for changing U-joints in axles and driveshafts. I have also used the varies sleeves for pressing bearings, seals, assembling/dissasembling flex joints, and whatever else they seem to fit.
One trick for making it easier to use is to clamp the screw press in vice.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
They are a very handy tool to have try harbor frieght they usually only want $40 for them. I've done 2 axles and numerous ujoints with mine also done other items that needed to be pressed.

Broncoman1969

Loc.
Cincinnati
I have the Harbor freight unit and it worked flawlessly for me. I just got finished with the third use with no complaints. I usually just clamp the tool in the vise and use it that way. It helps to keep everything in place since I wasn't born with 3 hands. ;-)