• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Barn find look

easymoney

I have a 66 half cab that I want to distress into a barn find looking truck. I have redone everything the truck needed mechanically but want it to look like it has been sitting out for 40+ years. It has an okay paint job, no rust per say so it needs a little help getting that old look. Right now the paint doesn't look new but doesn't look old either. It just looks Blaaaa.

Anyone ever done anything like this?

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Paint a different color over the existing paint and then sand it unevenly all over. Go through the new paint exposing the old paint in strategic areas - like the paint has worn thin in some places. You can also paint some red oxide in some places under the new paint and expose it in some areas too. Then spray with a low gloss or matte clear. It might look pretty cool.

Google rat rod and you'll see a lot of distressed paint effects.

mac77

Loc.
Vicksburg
Truck tech

Truck tech, on spike network's power block, did a patina paint job on a 60's era Chevy truck and turned out real sharp. Could probably look into their archives and pull up episode. Might interest you.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
1000 grit sandpaper once over the entire truck, then pick some strategic areas like on the hood, tops of fenders to sand through just to the primer.

JSBX

Contributor
For all the work it is going to take to make it look like it needs a paint job why not just go a head and paint it and have a nice looking Bronco?

OP
OP
E

easymoney

Thanks for all the input.

JSBX - Don't want it to look like every other Bronco on the road.

frenchy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for all the input.

JSBX - Don't want it to look like every other Bronco on the road.

Must be a bummer to have that many Bronco's around that you don't want yours to look like them.

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
To each his own

Me, I would love to find a survivor with just the right patina.............but so far it eludes me

We recently went to an off road event in CO and there was an awesome old Jeepster that had a paint job using some sort of paint that would "rust" when an activator was applied. You can change the look by where you apply the activator and how long you leave it on.

Once you get the look the way you want it, you rinse the activator off and put on a clear coat.

Guy said it was extremely expensive paint.

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
I've been curious about this myself. I like patina till I see exposed rust.

67RT

Bronco Guru
Just want to be different frenchy -
I like your thinking. Scotch brite thru the normally worn areas. My truck has them on top of doors and fenders, hinges crusty, etc.
I will put some pics in my garage if they aren't already there. If it doesn't work out, just paint it..

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
To each his own

Me, I would love to find a survivor with just the right patina.............but so far it eludes me

We recently went to an off road event in CO and there was an awesome old Jeepster that had a paint job using some sort of paint that would "rust" when an activator was applied. You can change the look by where you apply the activator and how long you leave it on.

Once you get the look the way you want it, you rinse the activator off and put on a clear coat.

Guy said it was extremely expensive paint.

Here it is.

Attachments

• 20140727_172625.jpg
    20140727_172625.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 92

thesnake

Bronco Guru
My 66 was on a farm for 4 years and a snowplow for 42 years following that. Rust everywhere, but the paint looks fair.

John