• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Barn Find Restomod Build

OP
OP
AZ73

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
AZ,

Great job on the build! Truck is gonna be awesome for sure. Can't wait to see what else you have planned for it. Keep it up. It sure is comin along! ;D

OP
OP
AZ73

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It was raining, and miraculously only 90 degrees so after spending a couple of days building my air compressor set-up in anticipation of eventually painting (see other thread), I decided to spend some time installing the water pump, crank pulley, some brackets, and the A/C compressor. 3G alt bracket is waiting for paint still so it's another day for that. Using a BCB serp set-up.

Attachments

• rsz_img_5911.jpg
    rsz_img_5911.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 299

igottastanger

Jumping in on this thread nice build. Love the body dolly it's easy enough, how about showing dimensions of the body lift u built?

OP
OP
AZ73

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Jumping in on this thread nice build. Love the body dolly it's easy enough, how about showing dimensions of the body lift u built?

See page 3 post #32 for body dolly. I raised the front 2 posts 1/2 inch after I went to set the body down on it. The front bushings were compressed making my original measurements off. Search on frame dimensions, it was a thread about a week ago. Some people said the front body mounts were the same as the back putting mine about an inch short compared to theirs, but my body's together on it, the body lines are perfect, and the door gaps are 0.15 inches so I'm satisfied with my measurements.

If you're talking about the jig I built to brace the body and lift it (3 inch angle iron) PM me.

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
AZ - did you just admit that you are measuruing door gaps to the hundredth of an inch?!

If so, kudos to you my friend! Well, perhaps the more important question is...what's the tolerance? +/- .01? :)

OP
OP
AZ73

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
AZ - did you just admit that you are measuruing door gaps to the hundredth of an inch?!

If so, kudos to you my friend! Well, perhaps the more important question is...what's the tolerance? +/- .01? :)

HAHAHAHA not on purpose. I was using a dowel originally and just trying to get them even. I pulled out a digital caliper to measure a bolt a while ago and realized I could use it to measure the gaps. .15-.18 on both doors all around. It's actually .15-.16 all around both except for 1 inch length on the driver's door where it's .18. All this time I thought I was using a 1/4 inch dowel. Turns out it was 1/8. I also had to add a bead of weld on the upper quarters to narrow it slightly and make it match the rest. Talked about this on another thread I (apologies) hijacked on Dynacorn panels not lining up. post #29

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222683&highlight=dynacorn&page=2

BTW your paint looks AMAZING!!! SO Jealous!!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
AZ73

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you're talking about the jig I built to brace the body and lift it (3 inch angle iron) PM me.

I used 3/16th 3 inch angle iron. WAY overkill. 1/8 inch is fine and will cut the weight (and drill time) by 33%. All the long pieces (sides and center support) are 6 feet. The verticals are 25 inches. (pix 1). I built it before I got my welder so I used grade 8 bolts (way overkill) with 8 inch angle supports bolted between the horizontals and verticals. The horizontal is off-set about 1/2 inch to make room for the dash. (pix 2). The verticals needed about 10 washers on the bolts to reach the door posts and brace them. I lined it up first then held in place with vice grips while I drilled and bolted the horizontals together. I held the cross brace in place with vice grips until I found the center of gravity, then drilled and bolted. I bolted to the quarter panels through 3 hardtop holes on each side. The holes were easy to mark from under with a marker, then drill when the jig was off the truck. The door post holes were a PITA to line up and took MANY tries to get the first one, then I used a cardboard stencil to line up the rest.

Attachments

• rsz_img_5917.jpg
    rsz_img_5917.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 396
  • rsz_img_5918.jpg
    rsz_img_5918.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 343
  • rsz_1img_5919.jpg
    rsz_1img_5919.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 307
OP
OP
AZ73

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Got everything back from zinc plating (except for 2 door latch rods which are missing). I re-assembled most of the parts like the pedals, and put lots of stuff on the Bronco already (mostly suspension bolts, u-bolts etc. Now that the WH extreme engine mounts are modified, plated, and re-assembled, I can get the clutch on and get put the engine in. Can't wait to install the BCB shortie headers!

Attachments

• rsz_img_5948.jpg
    rsz_img_5948.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 370

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
Looks great! Were you able to find someone local to do it or did you have to send them off?

Would you mind sharing in round numbers what the cost was? I have a smaller lot than yours, can't find anyone local and put the idea on hold when I got a rough quote from a place over in NJ based off a photo I sent them.

Your bronco might have the prettiest door guts ever ! Are you going with clear Lexan door panels to show that off? :)

OP
OP
AZ73

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It was difficult to find someone local who would do the work, but after visiting a few shops, I was pointed to a local mom and pop operation (not a corporate owned business) who did the work for me. It had to be clean first (all of it was media blasted by someone else first) or new product as they only do the plating. Their minimum charge is $75 but I had a LOT of pieces. Pedals, brackets, plates, door guts, Strike posts, Bell housing shield, suspension nuts/bolts, extreme U bolts, motor mounts, fender/grill clips and bolts, tailgate latches, Hood latch, clutch rods, equalizer arms, forks, Liftgate nut plates, even the brackets that tie the roof to the rear quarters. Anything I pulled off the truck that had rust and wasn't replaced with something new was plated. it was $200 for everything. Don't know if that's a good price or not, but it seemed reasonable to me.

If you want to send them to AZ I can assist you with them. Collins Metal finishing.

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
Wow, that is an awesome price! the quote I got was 300 bucks just to do the door latch and locks some miscellaneous bolts and hardware and the hood safety plate and release mechanism.

I had the hood release mechanism powder coated, but most of the other stuff I just blasted or wire wheeled and put back on. Once the bronco is put in the garage for the winter, I'll pull some of hat stuff back off and get it plated. Thanks for the offer, if I don't find someone close by I may hit you up for some assistance.

OP
OP
AZ73

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I had a few hours so I ignored the heat and hit another milestone. The 347 is put in! NV3550 is sitting to the right, had to pull it out to fit the engine. The cushions on the back are my new couch seating I'm developing for a more comfortable ride. Actually, I ran out of room in the garages and the outdoor cushions didn't have anywhere else to go. The pan looks tight, but I did a pre-test setting the engine in with the springs pulled and jacked the D44 up. It clears to the bump stops.

Attachments

• rsz_img_4633.jpg
    rsz_img_4633.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 644
  • rsz_img_4627.jpg
    rsz_img_4627.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 570
OP
OP
AZ73

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nice front bumper where did u get that? Or is it your custom touch?

Keystone Fabrication. Great price, nice bumper, horrible communications. You'll never hear from Tyler, but your bumpers will eventually show up. He's in the vendor section. I went with him because it was a nice foundation to do some custom modifications to versus spending a lot on a higher end Protofab or Bailie bilt. I'd hate to cut those up to modify. I had the rear done also with some custom touches. I'm having a local guy add a few more modifications, mostly for a better mounting into the frame, and some other touches. Don't have anywhere to store them either so they just sit on the frame for now till I'm ready for them.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200556

http://www.keystone-fabrication.com/1966-77-Ford-Bronco_c3.htm

OP
OP
AZ73

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Cinched the flywheel and bell housing on and measured for alignment. Readings were 0, -.002, -.010, -.004. Taking the averages of the opposites gives me -.005 up/down and -.003 left/right. That squeaks into acceptable range of +/-.005 but I didn't torque everything to spec yet. Waiting on a new pilot bushing. I installed the old one using the back of a socket per other comments on websites and imprinted a nice pattern from the socket head into the bushing and distorted the center hole. For those interested, the stuffing wet paper into the bushing hole and tapping it in with a dowel works to force the bushing out. The wonders of hydraulics. Advanced Adapters says to use a 2 inch wooden dowel to tap their replacement in instead. I used the freezer trick they recommended with the old one and will again for the replacement. When I get the new bushing in I'll torque it all up and re-measure, but I think it's going to be fine.

Attachments

• Bell Housing.JPG
    Bell Housing.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 279
OP
OP
AZ73

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Had a few hours and the rain cooled the temps so I bolted on the flywheel and checked the run-out. Using ARP bolts for the flywheel as they were the same price as Ford replacement bolts. Also attached Chuck's absolutely beautiful shorty headers. Works of art. Test fitted the pressure plate but the bolts that came with the conversion are the wrong size for my new Flywheel so no more work today.

Attachments

• rsz_img_6013.jpg
    rsz_img_6013.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 188
  • rsz_img_6014.jpg
    rsz_img_6014.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 180
  • rsz_img_6016.jpg
    rsz_img_6016.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 215
OP
OP
AZ73

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nothing too exciting but inching forward. Spent a few hours in the garage and got the clutch finished, and the trans/transfer case in. I see an engine start in my future ;D

Attachments

• rsz_img_6051.jpg
    rsz_img_6051.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 380

bk005

Loc.
San Antonio
Is that BC's exhaust system? I have same powetrtain and looking for an exhaust set up this week. Nice build!