• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

BC Broncos Soft Top Install-Part 1

bronco t

Contributor
Loc.
San Diego CA
Update... and thanks @Teal68 - I rounded up a wiper motor lowering bracket from a buddy, but it too is clocked / rotated and the stock wiper cover will not work. Which brings up a question - are all lowering brackets clocked?

I will probably go ahead and install the clocked drop bracket until I find a better solution.

Thanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I’ve never seen a lowering bracket that didn’t require flipping the motor 180°. That’s how they get the effect and keep the wipers aligned.
Which, of course, negates the use of a stock wiper cover. At least one that has not been modified by cutting a round hole, or notch, in the passenger side, in order to let the motor stick through.
At least that’s the only way I’ve seen it done.
Hence the custom wiper covers that are extended several inches to the passenger side.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Of course, I don’t think there’s any way to simply “lower” the motor, and still retain any semblance of the stock cover.
I’m not sitting in front of one right now, but I can’t see in my mind how it would be done.

bronco t

Contributor
Loc.
San Diego CA
Hey Paul, can you provide a link to a cover that is extended several inches to the passenger side? I called WH and Toms but could not get an answer on one that is extended? Or, are you referring to a true "custom" made cover?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Why, soitenly! Said in his best Curly Howard voice...
WH Wiper Motor/Linkage Cover (extended)
I think for a little while, we had them available in both black and white. Pretty sure they've never sold very well, which might 'splain the lack of a white model anymore.
Besides, you can probably use a Parchment, or various colored vinyl, or plastic paints, and come up with a pretty good approximation of a stock color.

The Bestop version is not really extended like the Rampage/Kayline version, which explains the higher price for the latter.
It does not need to be extended, since the Bestop tops keep the stock wiper motor configuration by raising the front of the top higher to clear the motor. Just a taller riser...

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Great, thanks!
Hope it serves your needs.

I was just debating getting one myself, so I don’t have to drill any more holes into my original one.
Not that I haven’t already had mine modified (hole for the wiper motor) and not that it wasn’t modified by the original owner (radios and rifle racks) as well!
But I think the flatness of the aftermarket one would lend itself well to things like USB ports, aux gauges and digital volt meters.

I will probably also line it with sound dampening material to quiet the linkage sound when the wipers are working.
I’ll be doing the tub again soon, so might as well do that at the same time.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, and I’m still figuring out visor options. So if you work on that for yours, be sure to let everybody know what you end up doing.

bronco t

Contributor
Loc.
San Diego CA
Oh, and I’m still figuring out visor options. So if you work on that for yours, be sure to let everybody know what you end up doing.
You asked... I went big a couple years ago and installed the Rosen "unerversual" sun visors. I was lucky that I had truss webbing on my family cage that had pre drilled holes that the Risen "universal" bolted too with very little modification. They are not cheap but they work great and can be swung to side and stay there! I started a trend with our Bronco crowd and they keep popping up

Last edited:

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
They are not cheap but they work great and can be swung to side and stay there! I started a trend with our Bronco crowd and they keep popping up
The bracketry looks great on these. I installed something similar a few years back. Actually taking them out this week. For me, I can't stand the glare and reflection from the lens type visors. Especially in the bronco which is pretty bouncy at any speed. Damn near throws me into a seizure o_O. Well maybe not a seizure but annoying none the less! I got some leather pieces left over from another project that I'll wrap the visors in. Hopefully won't block too much of the view (for sure trimming them down). If so, back to really good sunglasses!

bronco t

Contributor
Loc.
San Diego CA
The bracketry looks great on these. I installed something similar a few years back. Actually taking them out this week. For me, I can't stand the glare and reflection from the lens type visors. Especially in the bronco which is pretty bouncy at any speed. Damn near throws me into a seizure o_O. Well maybe not a seizure but annoying none the less! I got some leather pieces left over from another project that I'll wrap the visors in. Hopefully won't block too much of the view (for sure trimming them down). If so, back to really good sunglasses!
I have the Rosens out of the EB right now and it looks like you could remove the visor and either paint them a flat color, or replace the visor with a leather one or maybe thin (is it) masonite wood. We tall people have to lean over to see traffic lights, and having the smoked plastic visors allows some visibility. I ran my EB without the stock visors for ten years after I put the family cage in and the Rosens were a welcome addition and seem to hold their position in bumpy situations. Good luck!

Attachments

• IMG_2252.jpeg
    IMG_2252.jpeg
    197.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2251.jpeg
    IMG_2251.jpeg
    224.4 KB · Views: 7

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
We tall people have to lean over to see traffic lights, and having the smoked plastic visors allows some visibility. I ran my EB without the stock visors for ten years after I put the family cage in and the Rosens were a welcome addition and seem to hold their position in bumpy situations.
Yup pretty tall myself and know that duck well!

These were the first visors I've had in 30 years. Never had the originals. The ones I have are like looking in a mirror the glare is so bad. These can removed as well. I like your idea of the flat paint. I'm going to go that route before trying out the wrap. Thanks for that!!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Love to see how it comes out! And if you don’t like it, you can still put the opaque flat black on it. And ultimately some vinyl or something if that doesn’t work out.