• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best Automatic Conversion for a Daily Driver?

Greg Bell

Hey guys,

My wiring and some other issues have been addressed. Now I am getting AC installed.

At the same time, I am thinking about converting Betty to and Auto trans. Which would be the setup for a daily driver with an emphasis on making the truck nicer to me on the street--not offroad stuff.

StnePny

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Santa Monica, Ca.
C4

AOD/4R70W

What size motor are you running ?

What size tires/gears are you running ? / are you swapping gears ?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Gear ratio, tire size? are more important to tranny choice than engine. If you have 3.50 gearing and say 33in tires then a C-4 would be my choice. If you have 4.11 gears and tires smaller than 33in then one of the OD trannys would be a good choice. Of course if its not seeing any hiway duty then the C-4 would work in that situation as well.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
if you are just running around local (no interstate) then a C-4 would be all you need.

Buckin74

Loc.
San Diego
Gearing and Hwy speeds are the most important starting factors

C-4 -- good tranny but limited on Hwy speeds with low gears (less overall cost)

AOD -- excellent tranny with overdrive for all conditions (extra cost for adaptor and small conversion costs)

With a quality re-build, both trannys will last

There are other auto choices, but these are the "Ford" bolt on choices I would go with for their size and ease of fitment.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
There are only 2 choices that come to mind.

C4 is easy to install (was a factory option so all factory parts make it easy to install) and is the most cost effective.

But if you want something more modern. Wider range of gears. Lower first helps it move from a stop. Add an overdrive and freeway cruising is so nice. Lock up torque converter to add effiency while on the highway (also allows a looser stock torque converter that makes stop light to stop light driving more fun). Then a 4R70W. They are stil using them to this day in new trucks. But that overdrive needs the right axle ratio to be effective. The side effect is the lower axle ratio to make the overdrive effective also makes street driving even nicer (win/win). Little side note; even if you have the wrong gear now and con't use the overdrive, you can still run the tras as a 3-speed auto that still has the lower first gear, the funner/looser torque converter, and still have the lock up converter for cruising. Just turn the Overdrive on once you get the proper axle ratio.

The downside to the wonderful 4R70W over the C4 is it does cost more money.

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
For local driving on stockish tires/gears the C4 is cheap and easy. Beyond that I recommend the 4r70w. Overdrive automatic, with electronic controls that are tuneable to personal preference.
Tom

Broncobowsher

Total hack
For local driving on stockish tires/gears the C4 is cheap and easy. Beyond that I recommend the 4r70w. Overdrive automatic, with electronic controls that are tuneable to personal preference.
Tom

That sounds like the condesned version of my recomendations.:cool:

pierr

Loc.
Gordon,GA
Mostly in town/2 lane road driving & <60 mph...stick w/the C-4.Simple,durable,very easy to get worked on/re-built & fits w/o issues. I wanted to go O.D. when I re-built mine, but decided to stay w/ the factory C-4 because I would've had to change front/rear gears,etc. to make it all work right(not geared too high in o.d.:-[). For me it wasn't worth all the extra expenses(new gears,o.d. trans. & required stuff to make it all work) when >75% of my driving will be less than 60mph.If you have plans for long road trips/interstate driving an O.D. trans may be worth it in the reduced noise/fuel consumption. Besides...>60 mph in most every EB I've ridden in is:eek::eek: scary anyway due to the marginal steering & brakes on these things...Pierr

Trigger

I was recently running an aod w/4:10's & 33's. 4:56's would have been a better choice. OD was just to much of an rpm drop. Hindsight a c4 would been just fine as I seldomly ever used the od. If you go with the aod, i can attest, go with a reputable shop, I did not and that why mines on the garage floor and a zf in its place. Hopefully this weekend I get to try it out.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Does the 4R70W create a front driveline issue?

Nothing major.
Using stock diameter driveshaft with the Dana 20 transfer case requires a dent in the side of the pan. But dropping the radius ¼" and all is fine. That is it for clearance. You will generally have bigger issues with exhaust then driveshafts.

As for cost. Expect around $2k but with proper planning and good scrounging techniques it could be done for half that.