• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best automatic transmission?

Monster Mike

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Hey guys I don't mean to hijack this thread but I just bought a 2000 exploder its a 2wd 5.0 I was told I can use the 4r70w no problem cuz I'm going to run the d20 with the AA adapter.

I just wanted to confirm that information to be true

I was also going to use the serpentine setup, radiator, electric fan & efi on my stock 302 & sell the long block to my buddy

Does this seem like a sound plan?

If I go this route should I just buy the painless efi harness & the bauman trans controller?

Im not a efi/wiring/electrical wiz so I don't mind buying "easy"

Thx!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Hey guys I don't mean to hijack this thread but I just bought a 2000 exploder its a 2wd 5.0 I was told I can use the 4r70w no problem cuz I'm going to run the d20 with the AA adapter.

I just wanted to confirm that information to be true yes, I did it. Plan on a trans rebuild as the output shaft needs to be replaced, it comes out the front of the trans. Since it is coming all apart, might as well look it over and consider replacing wear items (frictions/seals).

I was also going to use the serpentine setup, radiator, electric fan & efi on my stock 302 & sell the long block to my buddy. Explorer serpentine will work on an early 302, but the balance on the harmonic damper will be wrong. Couple ways of doing this. Either have the Explorer damper rebalanced (damper dudes) to early specs or use a conversion pulley (Driven auto parts).

Does this seem like a sound plan? So far so good. Watch your gear material on the distributor since you will be running a cast flat tappet cam. Don't run a typical mustang roller cam distributor gear. Cast gear for the cast flat tappet cam, steel gear for the roller cam.

If I go this route should I just buy the painless efi harness & the bauman trans controller? RJM harness and Baumann is a better combo

Im not a efi/wiring/electrical wiz so I don't mind buying "easy" RJM harness plugs into the Baumann = "easy"

Thx!

See above comments in red