• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best deal on a complete third member

kat

Loc.
Bristol
Well since I busted all kinda crap on my rear chunk I don't know if it would be cheaper in the long run to get a complete setup. The vendors on here are kinda high. Anybody have any suggestions/opinions on the best place/price??..I can rebuild mine but think it might get pricey since I broke the carrier bearing end cap and I THINK they are machined to the housing and then threaded...Meaning I couldn't just replace the end cap and be done with it.....

STalon89

I got mine from Bronco hut. It was a complete rebuild with locker and I upgraded to a higher axel shaft spline.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Hot rod swap meets usually have a pretty good selection of used or rebuilt 3rd members.

/\/\This/\/\

I got all my rear differential stuff,
Used...
Big bearing Detroit and Strange carrier for $200 bucks at Nine Inch Nodular on eBay.
They even gave me everything I needed to set it up except the ring and pinion.

Everything looked new but was "apparently" used.

Its been over a decade and still fantastic.
1,400+ mile trip this year. Perfect.

So don't forget the used market. With the Ford nine inch there are tons of used-part deals out there.

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
Dang Mark, is that a result of that 351 power?
Probably had something to do with it...and a heavy foot...

Thanks for the tips...might look on Ebay...I checked and my gear ratio is 3.50 and I should be able just to put my ring and pinion in a housing and be ok??...Are our yokes and different than any other Ford out there???? Just trying to see what I need to look for. Thanks

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Classic Trac-Lock failure...mine did the same thing under my '77 F150 running 35's. That said, the 3.50 ratio should be relatively easy to find, but all of the F150, big-bronco and E150 units will be 31-spline carriers, and if they are a factory limited slip, you could be in the same boat you're in now in a few short drives.

Personally, I would pony up the cash to build a center section with a Detroit Tru-Trac, gear ratio of my choice and call it a day. If you do the labor part, you should be able to keep it well below $1000 and get more bang for the buck IMHO.

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
Classic Trac-Lock failure...mine did the same thing under my '77 F150 running 35's. That said, the 3.50 ratio should be relatively easy to find, but all of the F150, big-bronco and E150 units will be 31-spline carriers, and if they are a factory limited slip, you could be in the same boat you're in now in a few short drives.

Personally, I would pony up the cash to build a center section with a Detroit Tru-Trac, gear ratio of my choice and call it a day. If you do the labor part, you should be able to keep it well below $1000 and get more bang for the buck IMHO.
I was thinking of trying to build it up a little while I was in there if I can keep the cost down. I can do the labor myself so no issue. But can you answer my question about the carrier bearing cap??..As you can tell the cap is busted and I was under the impression that the caps are machined/threaded for the individual housing. Meaning I cant use a cap from another housing..Is this true??

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
I was thinking of trying to build it up a little while I was in there if I can keep the cost down. I can do the labor myself so no issue. But can you answer my question about the carrier bearing cap??..As you can tell the cap is busted and I was under the impression that the caps are machined/threaded for the individual housing. Meaning I cant use a cap from another housing..Is this true??

That is correct.
They are machined together to match, like the bearing caps that hold the engine crankshaft.

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
^^^
what he said. Can't use caps from other carriers. Also can'tswap caps from one side of carrier to the other so make sure you mark them somehow before taking it apart. I used a centerpunch on the cap and housing...

Nice autopsy pics. always cool to see bent and twisted metal...

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
Last edited:

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the info...I was just making sure. Also if I choose to get a complete third member depending on pricing, are the yoke (where the u joint buckles in) the same on all Fords, or our Bronco's special?? I noticed on this site it has yoke options...

http://www.quickperformance.com/Ford-9-Complete-Center-Section-Third-Member_p_36.html

You need to check your driveshaft U-joints to see which size you need.

Short yokes are for Daytona pinion supports, the longer yokes are for standard pinion supports.

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
You need to check your driveshaft U-joints to see which size you need.

Short yokes are for Daytona pinion supports, the longer yokes are for standard pinion supports.

Seems I need the Short Narrow but what is the best locker??..I do mild offroading so do I need the Detroit Locker or they offer an Eaton Tru trac

Last edited:

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You can pick up a Strange S-Series case for less than $250 new, N2205 or N2206. I've seen a few places with them as low as $220 this holiday season.

I'm building one of their Pro-Series cases (N1905) for my EB, but wish I'd gone with the N1905 case and 3.250 bearings. Even though I'm running 31-spline axles, it at least would have given me the option in the future to run 35-spline axles without swapping cases. Pair the case with the Daytona pinion support and you should have a pretty stout solution in place.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
If it's street driven and mild off road your choices are true trak or arb. Big price difference but if you're not happy with a true trak your next step is a locker. For a rig that sees alot of street use a locker is a pita. Especially if you deal with wet or slick roads. An arb gives you the best of both worlds. For my off road bronco that saw some street use I went with a spool to avoid the clunk and issues with a detroit. At least the spool is consistent and far cheaper than a locker. Now that I want to use it for more daily driving there's an arb on the shelf waiting for install

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
The shipping for something like that will kill any deal you might find.
Why not just find a good donor, and have it built locally?