• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best electric fan?

C_Forte_75

Loc.
St. Petersburg, Fl
What is your experience with them? What is the best kind for a injected 5.0L. I want to go electric, but I'm not sure what to go with as there seem to be many choices. Thanks for your feedback.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
I run the two speed Derale fan sold by WH. It keeps my 351 nice and cool in every driving condition I've encountered so far. Its bolted to an aluminum radiator from Summit, I am happy with this combo.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Junkyard-Taraus has a good reputation
New-Spal high performance series has a good reputation for being able to move a good amount of air through a radiator core (not the worthless free air CFM specs that are typically advertised). Spal is one of the OEM fan suppliers and they can make fans that keep high powered cars with big AC systems cool.

Personally I have never had good luck with electric fans on Broncos. Fans that can pull enough air to cool also pull enough amps that they require additional charging system and wiring upgrades. The only good cooling I ever had was with mechanical fans. Simplier and less that can go wrong.

browngr5

Loc.
Eagle, Idaho
I run the flex-a-lite Lowboy Trimline Part #118-puller w/ Painless fan relay kit Part# 30114. This setup is so easy to install and wire up. I just had to drill and tap the flat spot on the water neck for the electronic t-stat. It comes on when the temp reaches 195 and keeps it within 195-200 in the hot summer traffic.

http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/low-pro-trimline.html
http://www.painlessperformance.com/webcatalog/largeview.php?SearchField=30114

16" High-performance engine cooling in a LOW PROFILE package
2,500 cfm air flow. More Powerful Motor, Only 3-3/16" Deep!

Louie76

Loc.
Red Deer, Alberta
taurus fans draw some serious amperage on startup, mine showed 75amps start up and around 25-30amps while running. had to use a winch solenoid from a quad to keep the damn thing on. but cools amazingly.

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
Installed a Taurus fan yesterday. I turned it 90 degrees to clear the exploder water pump. It covers about 90% of the radiator. Also found a really nice harness at Hollister Road co. I picked up a water neck that was already drilled and tapped, so I installed a sender that turns the fan on low at 195 degrees and a toggle switch in the cab to turn on high speed.

Heres a pic. Don't mind the wire nut it was temporary to test the conection.

taurus.jpg

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Because I worked at Chrysler I took home several fans from PT Cruisers. I think they were thinner than the Taurus. But the Taurus seems to have a good rep here in our world.
.. I'm using one of the Pt fan on my 4BT. Low speed is out of mine but high is still good . Dead summer working the BT after no fan at all .. Flip the switch it'll pull it down from 200 too 140 or 150 in about 2 minutes.. I'm going to say it covers my whole radiator.

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
Ok looks nice thanks

I picked up three of them at Pick n Pull for $30 each with the pigtails. You never know when you might need a spare. Turned it 90 degrees and bolted right to radiator. Couldn't have been a better fit. I have about 3/4" of radiator exposed on each side and it does not rest on the the radiator fins.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Because I worked at Chrysler I took home several fans from PT Cruisers. I think they were thinner than the Taurus. But the Taurus seems to have a good rep here in our world.
.. I'm using one of the Pt fan on my 4BT. Low speed is out of mine but high is still good . Dead summer working the BT after no fan at all .. Flip the switch it'll pull it down from 200 too 140 or 150 in about 2 minutes.. I'm going to say it covers my whole radiator.

We had a Chrysler tech who has been running PT cruiser fans in EBs for years now. His favorite is the PT cruiser Turbo, it suppose to have a stronger fan on it (more HP to cool).

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
First test drive since installing the Taurus fan and I can safely say the engine is running at least 20 degrees cooler. It used to run hot, over 200 degrees, and now as soon as it hits 195 the fan kicks on and it drops down to about 170 within a couple minutes.

I should also say I'm running a 160 amp 4G alternator. I don't even see the alt gauge move when the fan kicks on.

Last edited:

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
How noisy is the fan? I have thought about this several times but never did it. I dont have any cooling issues just clearance issues. I run the stock radiator with my 5.0EFI and it doesnt have but about 3/4" of room... no shroud either and it still never get hot enough... About 180 is as hot as it gets.

Greg

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
How noisy is the fan? I have thought about this several times but never did it. I dont have any cooling issues just clearance issues. I run the stock radiator with my 5.0EFI and it doesnt have but about 3/4" of room... no shroud either and it still never get hot enough... About 180 is as hot as it gets.

Greg

I can't hear it in the cab. The only way I know it's running is by watching the temp gauge go down.

beaux312

Loc.
Hartford, AL
I got a fan from a Grand Cherokee its a two speed. I have it set on low speed and never had it overheat. Its 18", thin and with alittle work I got it to mount in my fac shroud, it moves alot of air.