• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best oil pan gasket for Explorer serp swap

ngsd

Bronco Guru
I just installed my new blueprint 302 and then put the Explorer serp swap on it. I guess the oil pan gasket pinched and it is leaking at the rear when I replaced it. What is the consensus on which pan gasket is best for this? Not looking forward to doing this now but it needs to be done.

OP
OP
ngsd

ngsd

Bronco Guru
That is the one I used, it squished out at the rear cap. I am sure it is an install problem but i really struggled getting it to stay in place.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I used the one piece on my oil pan back in the early 90's. Had my pan off and also dropped it a little bit for the Exolorer Serp Swap. Still doesn't leak.
That is nearly 30 years fellas.
Its a good choice.

NashBronco

Loc.
Flowood, MS
I used the one piece on my oil pan back in the early 90's. Had my pan off and also dropped it a little bit for the Exolorer Serp Swap. Still doesn't leak.
That is nearly 30 years fellas.
Its a good choice.

What modifications have to be made to the pan or gasket for the Serp Swap? just wasn't aware of any and I have that on my list of next upgrades.

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
What modifications have to be made to the pan or gasket for the Serp Swap? just wasn't aware of any and I have that on my list of next upgrades.
I'd guess he loosened the pan bolts to drop the pan down a little when he replaced the front cover.

BanditBronco

Follow the tightening sequence 100%. I run an oil pan stud kit that helps keep everything aligned. In the truck you can use a few dabs of rtv to help hold it up so you don't have to try and get the oil pan on and lined up while messing with the gasket.

OP
OP
ngsd

ngsd

Bronco Guru
Follow the tightening sequence 100%. I run an oil pan stud kit that helps keep everything aligned. In the truck you can use a few dabs of rtv to help hold it up so you don't have to try and get the oil pan on and lined up while messing with the gasket.

Are you saying you put studs in the block instead of using the bolts? I used RTV putting this in but it does not hold the gasket in place long enough.

Like this?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/arp-254-1904

Tiko433

Contributor
I know just enough to be dangerous
Loc.
South West Florida
While your at it ...I use thread sealant on the water pump bolts . The long ones that go into the block for the water in/out.

BanditBronco

Are you saying you put studs in the block instead of using the bolts? I used RTV putting this in but it does not hold the gasket in place long enough.

Like this?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/arp-254-1904

Yeah that one, not saying it can't be done without it, but I liked it enough that I would buy it again for the next engine I have to build. Double check your pan fitment to the studs before going full bore with the gasket and sealer.

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
I just bought this gasket. I need to change my oil so it'll kill two jobs at one time. I also installed the explorer serp front dress kit. Don't expect any install problems, just a royal pita.;)