• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best route for getting 31 spline axles

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I received confirmation from a supporting vendor that the small bearing 31 spline axle uses the same small bearing that the 28 spline axle uses.

I suppose that brings up other questions, but kills the idea that there is a low profile bearing that may have a reduced life span and/or a reduced load rating than my current small bearings.

Some vendors may offer something different however.

Joe473

I received confirmation from a supporting vendor that the small bearing 31 spline axle uses the same small bearing that the 28 spline axle uses.

I suppose that brings up other questions, but kills the idea that there is a low profile bearing that may have a reduced life span and/or a reduced load rating than my current small bearings.

Some vendors may offer something different however.
Yes, did this last year. The axles are the same diameter at the hub and use the same bearing. They just dont neck down after the bearing or where they go into the carrier. I bought axles with bearing pre-installed and in less than a year had to replace the bearings.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I got roped into another school project this summer so my driving season was consumed.

Just got done working over a spare small bearing housing I had with longer perches with 3 holes, fill and drain bungs and a weld on truss (just cuz).

I will be prepping for the 31 spline Yukon air locker next. Meanwhile, I dropped the rear tank and am cleaning up the frame getting ready for the EFI pumped 23 gallon tank to go back in. I picked up some 31 spline small bearing axles which should work fine for my application.

What fun.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
http://9inchfloater.com/CompleteRrEnd/CmplteRrEnd_28_31.htm
This is always the best bang for your buck. Brand new housing with all hubs, bearings and spindles. Brake rotors and 31 spline axles for less than 1000 buck. Put your 3rd member in and buyb2 calipers and your entire rear end is new with disc brakes.

When I looked into a rear end thru them they as asked what it was going in. When I told em a bronco with 35s they recommended their beefier housing. With the upgrades needed it put me right about where Currie was in price. I can pick up from Currie and save shipping. If I remember right floater.com was in Colorado

68ford

Bronco Guru
When I looked into a rear end thru them they as asked what it was going in. When I told em a bronco with 35s they recommended their beefier housing. With the upgrades needed it put me right about where Currie was in price. I can pick up from Currie and save shipping. If I remember right floater.com was in Colorado

I went with their larger 3.5 diameter fabricated housing but still used the 31 spline axles, spindles, hubs and driveplates. I then upgraded to a 12.50 rotor and 4 piston superlites calipers. Center is a stock case, full spool with billet big bearing support and billet steel yoke. Entire thing ready to go minus brake lines was 2400. To get something comparible from Currie would have be 35 spline. If I remember right it was at least a 1000 more for non float 35spline, nodular center to accept them, a housing with a truss and big brakes.