• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

best tranny for me?????

bchapma1

Loc.
Oliver Springs TN
I have 4.55 gears in the front and 4.56 in the rear. I have 35X12.50s. I am going to be a road driver, off road maybe one or two times a month but no hard off roading. It will be a nice daily driver. I want an automatic but I like a stick too so im not against anything other than really low geared stuff. Price is important too. Any suggestions????????

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
All depends if price is a concern then a manual may be cheaper. But still any of the OD trannys will be what you want. None of the options are really low geared although the ZF probably has the lowest gearing and may be one of the cheaper options. I scored a ZF for less than $200 and usually see them for around $500-700. but you still need adapters and other mods to make them work. All around the NV3550 is a good swap cost a bit more but doesnt require as many mods.

blainebrazil

Loc.
Santa Rosa
i had a stock rebuilt AOD with the same gearing and it did not last long. Make sure you get it built if you go this direction. AO Dominator is a good example of a AOD that is built to last, but it is $$$$

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
X2 on the ZF or 3550 if you're a manual guy (I am too). You'd just need to research the cost of tranny + adapters + driveline mods (if required) and see which one shakes out cheaper. If they're close, I think the ZF is a much better tranny.