• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best way to remove welded on bumpers?

Heus33

Bronco Guru
I've got a set of bumpers on my rig that I'd like to remove. Problem is they're welded onto the stock bumper locations. I've tried a 3" cut-off wheel but it barely made a dent after about 10 minutes and made the tool so cold it was frosted over. Am I using the wrong tool or wheel? Does my compressor need to be set at a certain psi? Am I approaching this all wrong? ?:?

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
When I took off my original motor mounts and shock mounts, I used a cutoff wheel on my electric grinder. Worked great. I have never liked using the little die grinders - they take forever.

Now I have access to a plasma cutter - and that is the way to go for sure!

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
No plasma cutter for me. Its pretty tight quarters so getting an electric grinder in there may be a tough fit, but its worth a shot... I can always try the trusty dremel but yeah, that would take forever...

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Heus33 said:
I've got a set of bumpers on my rig that I'd like to remove. Problem is they're welded onto the stock bumper locations. I've tried a 3" cut-off wheel but it barely made a dent after about 10 minutes and made the tool so cold it was frosted over. Am I using the wrong tool or wheel? Does my compressor need to be set at a certain psi? Am I approaching this all wrong? ?:?
Not knowing exactly what is welded it is hard to tell if you are having a problem. Tips for abrasive cutting; Make lots of sparks. the more yellow sparks you make the better it is cutting. This tells you how to work the tool. Add more pressure, make more sparks. Too much pressure and the tool bogs down, sparks go down, and cutting slows down.

Different tool. I don't like the 3" for heavy cutting. I use plasma when I can. Sawzall works good too. Another favorite is a 4½" grinder with a matching metal cutoff wheel.

Depending on how it is welded, couple of tack welds is different then full beads all the way around.

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Its a couple thicker tack welds (one above and one below the mounts) about an inch long each. I've got a 4 1/2 inch grinder that I can try to fit in there - its just a tight place to work.

Thanks for the tips on the sparks though - I think I was using too much pressure - the tool was bogging down a lot.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
If you don't care about saving the bumper, I'd suggest a Sawzall with a quality blade.

Don't forget to put on those safety glasses!

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Friction cutoff tools are designed to work at a certain RPM...not higher, not much lower. It should say what that RPM should be on the disc or the package they came in.

For general hard to get at booger welds, nothing beats an oxy-acetylene torch IMO. Otherwise a 4.5" angle grinder is your friend.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
Gummi Bear said:
If you don't care about saving the bumper, I'd suggest a Sawzall with a quality blade.

Don't forget to put on those safety glasses!

x2. Metal chips in the eye suck. Don't ask me how I know :(

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the tips guys - I'll give it a shot tonight!